Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the current NoA helpful or harmful?

Do you agree that current NoA requires significant intervention and is a potential safety risk?

• Yes

Votes: 80 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 96 54.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for bringing this thread back up :) Looks like it's been over a year since this discussion. I was just doing NoA last week, and my car STILL can't see cars on the highway I was merging onto, or thinks a car 2 lanes over is in the lane i need to merge onto, so it doesn't make the merge, and stays in the onramp until it ends and then it gives up control to me. Granted I'm on HW 2.5 not 3.0 but I think this is a camera limitation not CPU. Once I upgrade I'll see if it can merge, though I suspect we need 1000x more CPU power and better cameras, not just 20x, to really do level 5 FSD.

I ran across this article about NoA today. Curious to know what others think about this.
Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot Requires Significant Driver Intervention — Consumer Reports
NoA,, navigate on autopilot, is still a level 2 driver assist feature. It requires significant driver intervention, and it doesn't drive as smoothly as a normal human driver would normally drive. It certainly doesn't drive as smoothly as my wife wants it, and me, to drive. That doesn't mean it's unsafe. Frankly, if it was a smoother driver, it might lull the human into a false sense of security. That's not to say that I want it to keep making abrupt changes of speed and direction the way it does now. I want it to drive in "Driving Miss Daisy" mode. Maybe the autopilot crew could put in the "Driving Miss Daily" mode. I hope so.

Reactions: Raisin45567
I have about 6K road trip miles on NoA now. While it has a couple of quirks, it does the job I wanted it to do (keep me awake). I don't use it in the city because the "want to stop at every light" behaviour is just too annoying. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up :) Looks like it's been over a year since this discussion. I was just doing NoA last week, and my car STILL can't see cars on the highway I was merging onto, or thinks a car 2 lanes over is in the lane i need to merge onto, so it doesn't make the merge, and stays in the onramp until it ends and then it gives up control to me. Granted I'm on HW 2.5 not 3.0 but I think this is a camera limitation not CPU. Once I upgrade I'll see if it can merge, though I suspect we need 1000x more CPU power and better cameras, not just 20x, to really do level 5 FSD.
I had a similar experience with my new M3. I engaged FSD on the on-ramp, and the car stayed on the on-ramp despite no traffic in the travel lane until the on-ramp disappeared. Then it followed the solid white line into the travel lane.

Not sure I understand the question. As I understand it, TACC, → Autopilot/Autosteer, → NOA it’s all a stack. Autopilot adds additional features to TACC, NOA adds additional features to Autopilot. Other than TACC they are not stand alone, unless you are speaking of a specific feature in Autopilot or NOA. You can’t buy Autopilot without TACC and you can’t buy FSD/NoA without both. Maybe that will change in the future and there will only be one that does all three functions.

From the Model 3 manual:

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (if equipped) uses the forward looking cameras and the radar sensor to determine when there is a vehicle in front of you in the same lane. If the area in front of Model 3 is clear, Traffic-AwareCruise Control maintains a set driving speed. When a vehicle is detected, Traffic-AwareCruise Control is designed to slow down Model 3 as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front, up to the set speed. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not eliminate the need to watch the road in front of you and to manually apply the brakes when needed.

Autosteer builds upon Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (see Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on page 93), intelligently keeping Model 3 in its driving lane when cruising at a set speed. Autosteer also allows you to use the turn signals to move Model 3 into an adjacent lane (see Auto Lane Change on page 102). Using the vehicle's camera(s), the radar sensor, and the ultrasonic sensors, Autosteer detects lane markings and the presence of vehicles and objects to steer Model 3.

Navigate on Autopilot automatically exits at off-ramps and interchanges based on your navigation route. Along the highway portion of a navigation route, Navigate on Autopilot also changes lanes to prepare for exits and to minimize the driving time to your destination.

So when you say NOA requires significant intervention and is a potential safety risk, do you mean the route following or the off ramp exits?

On another note: The Q2 2020 Tesla safety numbers are published.

Tesla Vehicle Safety Report

Tesla's Q2 Safety Report continues company's trend of safe driving