Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the M3 the new Ford Cortina?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see 3 to 4 Tesla M3s a day now.
Before the M3 seeing a Tesla was rare...
In June the M3 was the best selling car in England, topping all ICE Cars.
Shanghai is on stream, Berlin to follow and after that?
The Honda plant in Swindon will soon be vacant. Ideal for making all the RHD cars.

Is the M3 going to be the new Ford Cortina? Will it become the default "Company Car"?
And Tesla spend nothing on marketing.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I see 3 to 4 Tesla M3s a day now.
Before the M3 seeing a Tesla was rare...
In June the M3 was the best selling car in England, topping all ICE Cars.
Shanghai is on stream, Berlin to follow and after that?
The Honda plant in Swindon will soon be vacant. Ideal for making all the RHD cars.

Is the M3 going to be the new Ford Cortina? Will it become the default "Company Car"?

More kin to the Lotus Cortina...but faster, better handling and less liable to rust ;-)

I do miss the noise from the dual 40DCOE Webers

Have you been swamped by Tesla Model 3 marketing so far ... nope, and that was the plan! Elon presented it on stage in 2016(?) and thereby lit the blue touchpaper ... they've never really spent anything on marketing so it would be surprising if that changed!

New Cortina? In a sense. Loads of Cortinas were sold as company cars. Followed by the Sierra, and the Mondeo. All to be supplanted by the mighty BMW 320d.

I’m happy to call mine a new Mondeo, as the Mondeo was great.

Reactions: Obliter8
Mine certainly has the panel gaps and paint quality of a car from the 1970s. :)

Aye, they don't make cars like they used to ... (thank god!) It wasn't uncommon to see rust coming through body panels within 3 years on British made cars (Fords, British Leyland)... and failure at the first MOT (3yrs) for structural rust on some (particularly Italian) models. Let's be honest here, Tesla quality bears no relation to the poor quality of 1970s cars!

To be a modern day Cortina, the LR and Performance would need a vinyl roof o_O

I remember my mates Cortina which had a foot operated switch for the headlights. Or was it windscreen wipers? It doesn't really matter which as either way the footswitch would have worked better than the equivalent high tech solution on the Model 3.

Several different body styles over the years but it was never an exotic choice ... well, aside from the rear light clusters and mini wings on the Mark 1 ... as kids we thought it must be American! Maybe the look hasn't aged so well!
I didn't know what the Cortina was. I had to go look it up. Boy is that ugly.
New Cortina? In a sense. Loads of Cortinas were sold as company cars.
Careful folks, some of us have feelings...

As a fresh 20y old sales rep I thought my hand-me-down brick orange MK4 1600L was the pinnacle of success. In those days status was proven by things like two wing mirrors or front headrests & I had both!

It all fell apart one day (literally) when I took a Grimsby customer for lunch at Christmas. The diff failed & he had to push me through slush & mud with the comment "at least I now know that they treat their reps worse than they treat their customers"

A Cavalier SRi came next and that had a lot more street cred though, but now I'm here too......
My first car was a Cortina and my current car is a Model 3. So I suppose the answer is yes. :)

My grandad had a Cortina, it had black plastic foam seats that were molded to look like they had stitching. I remember as boy burning the back of my legs when I was wearing shorts and it had been left in the sun.