Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 AWD+ the least expensive sub 4 second 0-60 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the 60-100k group, Mercedes AMG has several models in their line up that are claimed sub 4 (GLC 63 AMG - 3.8, GLC 63 Coupe AMG- 3.8, GLC 63 S Coupe - 3.6, C63 - 3.9, C63 S - 3.8, C 63 Coupe - 3.8, C 63 S Cabriolet - 3.9, S 63 Cabriolet - 3.4).

I also believe the 2021 Supra 3.0 is claimed by Toyota to now do it in 3.9 after it got a power bump and will hit the market next month.

But even if we are talking manufacturer's claimed numbers - all of those cars have headwinds simply because the average driver will never achieve those time's because of how precise your launch needs to be in order to get them and secondly, trying to do it on the street as well is even less likely. Many of these RWD cars will just spin tires while the Tesla just zooms out of the pocket the same way every time with zero spin. I've easily beaten Camaro ZL1's in the 1/4 mile multiple times at the drag strip so on the street unmodded, I'd put my money on the AWD+ 3 every time.

The only advantage these cars have at all is if someone wants to do a simple tune they can access significantly more power pretty easily. My buddy just gained 80 hp in his 2019 GTI for $300 and it's a simple plug and play (meaning you can remove it at any time and there's no trail). I know Audi RS3's can gain a lot of power on simple tunes as well.

All said and done though the AWD+ doesn't seem to have a true nemesis right now for the price. And even more so after last nights 2k price drop.

Reactions: 1.21GW
...why would you reply to a thread about sub-4 second cars with a list of cars that run slower than 4 seconds?[/QUOTE said:
Interesting reading for the budget shopper- includes used cars and approximate prices. "A 2002 Audi RS: 6 0- to 60 in 4.4 seconds for as little as $8,995." So, all other things being equal (ha ha) it costs $10,000 to cut each tenth of a second to get you to 4.0 seconds. Speed is no cheap thrill!

The interesting thing in the Car and Driver article on the 340i
0-60: 3.8s
5-60: 4.7s

It appears this car is very sensitive to getting the launch correct. This likely means that on the street, an AWD+/AWD would likely win.

It'll give the AWD a run for its money (with a good launch), but not the AWD+. The AWD+ would easily take it off the line and the quarter. The 340i also traps lower: ~112-115mph.
From a dead stop, depending on SOC, the AWD+ can do ~3.7 0-60 with little effort. It's unlikely the 340i would do sub 4 without a roll-out.

The interesting thing in the Car and Driver article on the 340i
0-60: 3.8s
5-60: 4.7s

It appears this car is very sensitive to getting the launch correct. This likely means that on the street, an AWD+/AWD would likely win.

The 2018 Model 3 Performance pre power bumps got 0-60 in 3.5s and 5-60 in 3.7s. These cars are much easier to drive. I annihilated one a couple months back from a stoplight onto the highway (long onramp). In normal driving, the Model 3 is much faster.

The 2018 Model 3 Performance pre power bumps got 0-60 in 3.5s and 5-60 in 3.7s.

That's about what the LR AWD with boost is doing now...

LRAWD2.png

I have had two races that I have lost (very slightly) and before acceleration boost
1. At the drag strip, an aftermarket supercharged Pontiac G8 ran a 12.24 to my 12.45.
2. On the street, a new Mercedes E63S, ran from a roll of ~30 to about 90 and the front of my car was at the passenger door of his. I think I shocked him a bit. He would have pulled away if we continued.

Needless to say, there are always cars faster than you. However, this AWD+ gives some serious cars a run for their money.

Not to go too far off topic, but coming from owning a 997.1 GT3, an E92 M and (still) a Series 1M Coupe, I think you are all understating how fast these suckers are in the real world of traffic. The M3P+ will outperform a Porsche GT2 S on the street unless you line up to let him get into the proper gear. These crazy cars have made the notion of "throttle response" obsolete, at least until somebody comes up with a real, electric competitor (Taycan, maybe, at 3 times the price). You think "I want to be THERE", and you are in that hole. Who the hell does 0-60 on the street, tho even there, these will beat "quicker" cars all day; I found that out the hard way when an X handed me a hole shot when driving my 1M on marginal traction. Be happy, you have super cars at pedestrian pricing. The handling is pretty damn good too!

ONE MORE THING...
I’m not seeing anyone mention the cost of ownership, but when you take that into consideration the Model 3 pulls ahead.

Most of the gas guzzlers require extra regular maintenance that makes them cost much more over time
Plus I'm guessing (never having driven any of the other cars listed in this thread) that most (all?) of them require premium congealed dinosaur.