Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been watching Sandy Munro do the model Y year down and am wishing / expecting a Gen 3 M3 that takes advantage of the much smarter body build of the MY. The M3 build could be lighter, more robust, better quality and cheaper to manufacture.

The point that often gets made it the M3 rear body has 177 separate stampings and parts that are 2 parts on the MY, a forging and one stamping.

I absolutely do believe improvements like the tow hitch, heat pump, etc will need to be made to the 3 at some point in the next 6-12 months. That way people who want a sedan versus a make believe SUV can have it without giving up on some of the nice things the Y has going for it.

Right now the primary thing that prevents someone who would normally get the 3 from getting the Y is the price. The Y is pretty pricey.

I suspect that if they add all those features to the 3 the price would go up.

Been watching Sandy Munro do the model Y year down and am wishing / expecting a Gen 3 M3 that takes advantage of the much smarter body build of the MY. The M3 build could be lighter, more robust, better quality and cheaper to manufacture.

The point that often gets made it the M3 rear body has 177 separate stampings and parts that are 2 parts on the MY, a forging and one stamping.
I'm not sure it would save all that much on weight or improve any in rigidity - but definitely would be cheaper and simpler to manufacture without losing anything. I guess the software geeks finally realized that Tesla is a car company, after all.

Another I want a Car not an SUV. Plus we have a Model S as well and if needed, which is seldom for us, we can load way more into the back of the car using it than I could with a Model Y. I love my Model 3 and have never considered trading it in for a Model Y. Also like the chrome bing accents on my car and not a fan of the blackout on most of the Model Y body color choices.

I would go for a Model 3 coupe if it ever became available, before I got a Y (haven't seen a Model Y in real life yet though). I'm hoping there will be a 2 seater version of the new Roadster sometime in the future...

How about something with styling similar to the Roadster but on the Model 3 platform - so a fraction of the price - kinda like what Alfa Romeo did when they borrowed from the 8C to get the 4C.

-Alex

Been watching Sandy Munro do the model Y year down and am wishing / expecting a Gen 3 M3 that takes advantage of the much smarter
body build of the MY. The M3 build could be lighter, more robust, better quality and cheaper to manufacture.

The point that often gets made it the M3 rear body has 177 separate stampings and parts that are 2 parts on the MY,
a forging and one stamping.
Also, listening to the last Third Row Tesla Podcast, Elon Musk (at 11:40) mentioned that this save about 30% size of the body shop.

I am really curious to know if the new MIC Model 3 has an improved rear body casting floor?

I suspect that if they add all those features to the 3 the price would go up.

I don't see everything the OP listed as really making sense for the Model 3.

The two most practical ones for the Model 3 are probably the available tow hitch, and the Heat Pump. I could see the heat pump potentially adding cost, but it replaces stuff. So ultimately it comes down to whether the heat pump is more expensive to Tesla. If there is a marginal difference than I don't see them changing the price.

The tow hitch will only impact the price for someone who wants it.

How about something with styling similar to the Roadster but on the Model 3 platform - so a fraction of the price - kinda like what Alfa Romeo did when they borrowed from the 8C to get the 4C.

-Alex
Someone can correct me but there is almost nothing borrowed from the 8C to get the 4C. Steel chassis vs carbon tub. Diff layout. Diff drivetrain.

The Tesla roadster is obviously a completely concept from the sedan, therefore different raison d'etre. But to build a coupe/roadster'ish vehicle on the model 3 sedan means removing half of the utility, for how much more incremental sales?

The 2dr variant of 4dr cars, that used to exist in past decades, have pretty much all been killed off.

Reactions: alexGS
Most likely Model 3 will continue to sell well, but the Model Y is right in the sweet spot of what Americans are buying currently.

Model 3 offers lower seating, sedan styling, nimble handling, and a lower center of gravity for better handling.
Model Y offers higher seating, more interior room for both people and storage, and that all important tow package.

I hope/assume that after they've proven the MY, they'll begin back porting parts to the model 3. Anything that increases the number of common parts will make manufacturing easier.

Reactions: Watts_Up
With the Model Y been very close in price, size, and performance with the Model 3,
with numerous improvement (Larger and more practical trunk, heat pump, lift gate, extruded rear floor, tow hitch, third row...)
what would be the real advantage of ordering a Model 3 versus getting a new Model Y,
especially when the Model Y SR+ will be available?

This has been a long-time argument in Europe because most of our sedans have also got Wagon models (which is sort of the european equivalent of an SUV) and they are only slightly more expensive.

The issue is that a lot of people hate how Wagons look and drive so the sedan market isnt gonna die anytime soon - even though obviously wagons are very popular in europe as are SUVs in the USA. The principal difference here is mainly that wagons tend to lack the plastic trim on the underside and arent quite as raised which is ok - we have much better roads in europe.

I have the chromosome which makes me hate Wagons and SUVs so I would never consider an X or Y.
Now if Model 3 would come in a liftback version... THAT would be interesting.