Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 too common now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree.

My Model 3 is a daily 160 mile commuter. It is also the first Tesla around my street.

I did the math, so I replaced my 2003 Accord with a Model 3, VS a new Accord.

When people comment that the 3 was expensive, I say if you do the math you might say otherwise.;)View attachment 419846

That right there is a magnificent photo - with $4.55/gal in the background!!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
There are tons of Teslas in the DC/Bethesda area, and more on the street every day.
As much as I love my MSM, I see others so often that I may try to find a way to differentiate it as some point.

Living in Chandler, AZ Teslas have been pretty common for years, but when I got my 3 in Feb, 2018 I rarely spotted another 3 for months. It was fun having people stare and ask about the car, but for the health of the brand I am relieved that I now see several of them every day.

I live in Oklahoma. I rarely see another 3.

I think the rarity comes from the colors - as I passed a truck full of Black M3s the other day - there were 6 black M3 and 1 gray. So, people tend to get the base color since it is free.

So, seeing a red one or white is super rare for me.

BTW mine is black :)

Yeah, but the $4.55 is only for the low octane stuff. I noticed the Premium and the Diesel is $4.799! If you put 20 gallons in your diesel truck, that's $96.00 right there! The Tesla pickup can't get here fast enough!

I went to Bellevue, WA yesterday and the place was swarming with Tesla. This thread highlights the disconnect between what's on the ground and the media/financial analyst narrative that there is a demand problem for the Model 3!

Reactions: dmurphy
Yeah, but the $4.55 is only for the low octane stuff. I noticed the Premium and the Diesel is $4.799! If you put 20 gallons in your diesel truck, that's $96.00 right there!

I went to Bellevue, WA yesterday and the place was swarming with Tesla. This thread highlights the disconnect between what's on the ground and the media/financial analyst narrative that there is a demand problem for the Model 3!

True - but I've always found a vehicle that needs Premium to be a complete turnoff. My last vehicle was a Cadillac, that took regular fuel. Our (current) Buick Enclave sucks it down like a Kennedy at an open bar.

You are 100% correct - the dissonance between what the so-called ANALysts say and what I see with my eyes is very stark. Even here in Dirty Jersey, there are Teslas all over the place.... demand problem, my butt.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Northern California and I see them constantly... though rarely see my unicorn (silver, long range).
I am happy every time I see one. To me it means even if Tesla goes out of business, there will be aftermarket support provided by someone for all these cars on the road. And each one I see is one more step towards fixing this climate mess we've created.
Exactly. I am seeing them everywhere in West LA, there are several even within a couple blocks of my house, and several more on my level in the parking lot at work. I love my Model 3 and would hang onto it no matter what happens, but seeing so many 3s around gives me some comfort level that Tesla will survive and all the critics and pundits and short-sellers will be proven wrong in the end. There's plenty that needs to improve about Tesla's communication and service consistency and so on, but I just think back to the early days of SpaceX when the "common wisdom" was that they didn't have a chance and the whole idea of reusable boosters was a silly fantasy.

I'm in the Philly suburbs and while I wouldn't say they're everywhere, it is pretty normal for me to pass at least one when driving any distance, and there are a few in the garage at work.

Mine replaced a Kia Optima, and based on the comments on trade-ins at the shareholder meeting this seems to be pretty common. I've never spent more than $25k on a car, and while I don't think that the M3 is going to break-even in TCO, the car is just SO much nicer than other cars with similar TCO that it wasn't that hard of a decision for me.

I think we're going to see these things everywhere, and it is only a matter of time before even cheaper options become available, IMO.

its getting more common here in Austin but not a lot in San Antonio.
People would stop and stare in San Antonio.
M3 is spotty here in Dallas. Go to a hospital or doctors' professional building and you see a bunch; elsewhere, they are much more infrequently spotted.

It was interesting, however, to notice - right after I had bought mine - that my next-door neighbor had one, too.

Haven't needed to pull anything from TeslaCam lately, but here's one of the 1min clips from couple months ago from my left cam that gives a general idea on the # of Model 3's/Tesla's you're likely to see up here. I counted 13 Tesla's, of which 9 are Model 3's. Of course there's a handful on the other side of the freeway too. This is at the 880/237 interchange.
Wow! They're nowhere near as common here. But I do see more than one a day on average now.

Got my M3 LR couple of weeks back from Mt.Kisco NY. So far mine is the only RED beauty on road in CT (atleast that's what I wanna tlhink) and I am loving the attention
That being said, not a whole lot of Teslas on the road here but it's gradually changing.
My black LR RWD was the only Model3 with California plates in the Mt. Kisco area for a few months at the beginning of this year :) But now it's back home

This is probably a moot point to bring up by now but you certainly _want_ these cars to be "common" because it will create demand for a robust infrastructure to charge them, create supply for replacement parts (like body parts when they're damaged) and create a network of people who can fix it.

Plus, I am pretty sure Tesla is working on a hive of Model 3's so it's possible that in dense areas, the auto-pilot features benefits from nearby Teslas and thus improves the self-driving.

Don't worry, compared to the rest, us Tesla owners are still "special" and a huge minority. For the aesthetics of the car, consider getting a wrap done or something wonky to stand apart.

I recently got a compliment on my MS from a passerby in a parking lot in Ohio. To my surprise, the guy then wanted to know what brand it was. I felt sure that he'd spoken out simply as a Tesla enthusiast, but he did so without even recognizing the car. He just liked the look of it.
I see Teslas all the time, but that's because my eye is attuned to them. They're still not common enough around here for non-owners to even know what they are. I rarely charge at Superchargers, but I come by one frequently because it's close to home. I've almost never seen more than three of the ten stalls occupied, and it's usually 0-1.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Kind of a dumb question but anyway. The model 3 is absolutely everywhere here in Los Angeles. The garage at work is stuffed full of them. I still give a cheery wave, let them into traffic in front of me etc. but I have to admit I feel a little less "special". My cars have always been a bit quirky so never had a problem finding them in a parking lot. The other day I tried to get into my car and after fiddling with the door handle wondering why it didn't open (no doubt activating sentry mode) I realised it wasn't my car..
I wonder also if the simple design, limited colour palette and only a single model available (no new exterior updates to the body, no special editions etc) kind of highlights the cars more than say a Prius. It really is phenomenal how many are on the road right now. There have been threads about the statement of Tesla saying this is the best selling car by revenue. Many people said this was nonsense but it's really no mean feat to get so many high value cars on the road in such short time. It's easier to sell millions of cheaper/mid range cars/trucks than high value cars.
It's an interesting situation because you have luxury car owners (BMW/Porsche/Mercedes) buying the car, but then you have less affluent people trading up from a Prius etc. often pushing their budgets to the limit. I wonder how the two different groups of owners perceive the car. For those coming from less fancy cars I imagine it must seem almost unimaginably luxurious, for those coming from high ends cars, maybe the interior seems cheap, the doors flimsy etc.
Here in central Florida any Tesla is a novelty. Everyone we tell about our Model 3 wants to see it and is excited when we tell them about it.

... it will not take too long before politicians will find a way to tax electric cars!

catg .jpg

And one simple way to control electric cars taxation for governments is to promote Hydrogen:

Last edited: