Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 too common now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Oregon I see more all the time. That's a good thing. Remember, the goal of Tesla is not to produce elitist vehicles for the rich. It is to reduce carbon emission and try to save our grandchildren from misery.

Really, the bottom line for most cars is a hunk of metal to take you from point A to point B. If you enjoy the ride and it doesn't cost much all the better.

That Tesla has proven that electric vehicles are superior to ICE vehicles I consider a blessing and my hat is off to Elon and his team because they are actually making a difference in the world.

Come visit the East coast! I consider it a good week if I see another Tesla.

On your point about perceptions, I've always tried to wave to Model S and X owners I pass, but I've never received even a glance in return... So it's possible there is some sort of socio-economic divide in enthusiasm.

what part of MD are you at where you hardly see them, I work in Baltimore and see about a dozen everyday. hell the parking garage I park at has 5, we even have an idiot from VA that likes to unplug everyone's car just to plug his in.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Too common is no problem with me, knowing I’m contributing to have less carbon emissions AND not having to pay for gas Socal gas prices are insane! That in itself should be incentive enough to switch from ICE to EV, one would think...

Haven't needed to pull anything from TeslaCam lately, but here's one of the 1min clips from couple months ago from my left cam that gives a general idea on the # of Model 3's/Tesla's you're likely to see up here. I counted 13 Tesla's, of which 9 are Model 3's. Of course there's a handful on the other side of the freeway too. This is at the 880/237 interchange.

They are more common everyday here in Tucson, AZ as I’m sure they everywhere.

There were 3 of us in a row on my way into work and around 4 in the neighborhood.

They are even more popular with the smaller battery sizes it seems.

what part of MD are you at where you hardly see them, I work in Baltimore and see about a dozen everyday. hell the parking garage I park at has 5, we even have an idiot from VA that likes to unplug everyone's car just to plug his in.

Prince George's. Pretty low EV ownership for how large the county is. But my wife and I both work in downtown DC. That's where we spot the majority of our Tesla's.

On your point about perceptions, I've always tried to wave to Model S and X owners I pass, but I've never received even a glance in return... So it's possible there is some sort of socio-economic divide in enthusiasm.

You are absolutely right - Tesla drives don't waive to each other.
3-to-S, 3-to-X, 3-to-3 - I randomly waive to folks, and am yet to get a single waive back.

And yeah, I cross path with 5-10 Teslas on the daily drive to work, and similar # on the way back.
Zero waive backs to date.

a

3-to-S, 3-to-X, 3-to-3 - I randomly waive to folks, and am yet to get a single waive back.

And yeah, I cross path with 5-10 Teslas on the daily drive to work, and similar # on the way back.

a
Here, I thought it was just my community!? That’s interesting , considering I see the same thing. Wave.....nothing. Troubling......and you and I live just about as far away that we can for the US. Troubling:......

20190114_182002.jpg
20190219_222132.jpg
Kind of a dumb question but anyway. The model 3 is absolutely everywhere here in Los Angeles. The garage at work is stuffed full of them. I still give a cheery wave, let them into traffic in front of me etc. but I have to admit I feel a little less "special". My cars have always been a bit quirky so never had a problem finding them in a parking lot. The other day I tried to get into my car and after fiddling with the door handle wondering why it didn't open (no doubt activating sentry mode) I realised it wasn't my car..
I wonder also if the simple design, limited colour palette and only a single model available (no new exterior updates to the body, no special editions etc) kind of highlights the cars more than say a Prius. It really is phenomenal how many are on the road right now. There have been threads about the statement of Tesla saying this is the best selling car by revenue. Many people said this was nonsense but it's really no mean feat to get so many high value cars on the road in such short time. It's easier to sell millions of cheaper/mid range cars/trucks than high value cars.
It's an interesting situation because you have luxury car owners (BMW/Porsche/Mercedes) buying the car, but then you have less affluent people trading up from a Prius etc. often pushing their budgets to the limit. I wonder how the two different groups of owners perceive the car. For those coming from less fancy cars I imagine it must seem almost unimaginably luxurious, for those coming from high ends cars, maybe the interior seems cheap, the doors flimsy etc.

The more, the merrier - that was part of the "master plan".

On a different note, below is prolly becoming less of an occurance - my black with another's white Model 3 left in a parking lot after one rainy night. I bet this will never occur again - in San Diego.;)

Im in NJ and starting to see them everywhere I see about 4-5 model 3’s per day on my 45-50 min commute.
My neighbor 2 houses down has a model 3....

Ive gotten 1 wave in about a month the rest nothing. You also need to understand these cars are not “custom or Modded” rare cars from car enthusiasts. These owners are just normal everyday middle class working people that are not into cars.

One thing for sure tho, I never see a Performance model 3!!!
Oh wait my Performance just looks like every tesla out there only with the 19inch wheel upgrade...which they all seem to have anyways.

Oh why couldn’t they make the Performance actually stand out with different design wheels or something! Anything!
I can’t wait to get new wheels and lowering springs.

View attachment 419748 View attachment 419747

The more, the merrier - that was part of the "master plan".

On a different note, below is prolly becoming less of an occurance - my black with another's white Model 3 left in a parking lot after one rainy night. I bet this will never occur again - in San Diego.;)
Speaking of things that will never occur again. Triple discontinued color Model 3 parked in a row. Mine is in the middle. :D
2019-05-28.jpg

a

No time to look around or waive you back, because those folks are occupied by NoA, LDA, nags, or their own big/small screens. :)

• Love
Reactions: groovidad
They are everywhere here in the greater south Durham bull city metro area. Like at the rural golf course I was at today. Like 3 in one row at the woodcroft shopping lot. Like 5 in the parking lot at work. Last year it was notable, not now.

Haven't needed to pull anything from TeslaCam lately, but here's one of the 1min clips from couple months ago from my left cam that gives a general idea on the # of Model 3's/Tesla's you're likely to see up here. I counted 13 Tesla's, of which 9 are Model 3's. Of course there's a handful on the other side of the freeway too. This is at the 880/237 interchange.
That is a total dominance by Tesla. 9 Model 3's, several Model S's and Model X.

Speaking of things that will never occur again. Triple discontinued color Model 3 parked in a row. Mine is in the middle. :D
View attachment 419766
That is awesome. I see EV gets priority parking like Vanpool.
At my work there are two carpool spots and there are no carpool vehicles ever.
I wish EV's were allowed to park there instead of leaving them vacant. LOL.

Im in NJ and starting to see them everywhere I see about 4-5 model 3’s per day on my 45-50 min commute.
My neighbor 2 houses down has a model 3....

Ive gotten 1 wave in about a month the rest nothing. You also need to understand these cars are not “custom or Modded” rare cars from car enthusiasts. These owners are just normal everyday middle class working people that are not into cars.

I prefer to think they’re for people who can do math. Would I rather drive an Accord, or a Model 3?

Plenty of Teslas here in NJ. It’s not even remotely uncommon to see one, or park next to one. Heck, I stopped at the pool store a few weeks ago to pickup some supplies, and after parking, a guy in a Model S started pulling into another space, then backed out and came over and parked next to my 3. He said “I’d rather park here because I know you’re not going to bang up my doors!”

Becoming more common by the day ... and like you said, more for us work-a-day folks than the elitists. Mine is first in my (very) small neighborhood but I’m sure it won’t be the last ... nothing would make me happier than to see one in every driveway!

I prefer to think they’re for people who can do math. Would I rather drive an Accord, or a Model 3?

Plenty of Teslas here in NJ. It’s not even remotely uncommon to see one, or park next to one. Heck, I stopped at the pool store a few weeks ago to pickup some supplies, and after parking, a guy in a Model S started pulling into another space, then backed out and came over and parked next to my 3. He said “I’d rather park here because I know you’re not going to bang up my doors!”

Becoming more common by the day ... and like you said, more for us work-a-day folks than the elitists. Mine is first in my (very) small neighborhood but I’m sure it won’t be the last ... nothing would make me happier than to see one in every driveway!

I agree.

My Model 3 is a daily 160 mile commuter. It is also the first Tesla around my street.

I did the math, so I replaced my 2003 Accord with a Model 3, VS a new Accord.

When people comment that the 3 was expensive, I say if you do the math you might say otherwise.;)
20190616_071032.jpg
20190616_071131.jpg

Last edited: