TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the Model 3PD expected to match the Model S P85D performance?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PhilDavid, Jul 5, 2018.

1. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

The cost of a used Model S P85D is in the same range as the cost of a brand new Model 3PD and I suppose we'll have the answer to this question in about a month.

Does anyone know if the Model 3PD will deliver the same 1G+ acceleration experience as a Model S P85D?

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

nobody can know for sure since the car isn't delivered and Tesla doesn't release technical specs (after people whined the HP numbers they got on a dyno wern't the same).'

If I were a betting man, I'd say the M3 performance would be higher performing due to the lighter weight.

3. skreemer7

skreemer7 Member

Pardon my ignorance, but can't you just compare the 0-60 times? Or is there something else to the Gs you'd feel in different cars with same 0-60 times.

A P85D is 3.2s vs P3 will be 3.5s.

Or when @tpham07 you're saying nobody can know for sure, thats only because we don't know the real world acceleration which could be faster than the 3.5s?

4. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I have a feeling that they will understate the performance of the Model 3PD to make the Model S P100D more appealing. 3.5s is pretty close to 3.2s and I have a feeling the Model S P85D performance and the Model 3PD performance will be very similar. Would be very interesting to see a 0-60 race between the two.

Any hypothesis about which model will pull harder from 0?

5. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

According to Hank's EVCPO listings, there are 33 used P85D's for sale in the US. If the performance model 3 is almost as quick there will be alot more. Does Tesla want to devalue existing model S's for more model 3 sales?

6. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I hope they do some kind of uncorking first for 90D + 100D cars. This time last year they did so with the 75D and that matched a P85.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I don't think Tesla worries about how what it does affects the used car market.

8. croman

croman Active Member

9. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

Already a precedent for this as the Model 3LR RWD is faster than the initial Model S60.

Also they are clearly understating both the performance and the range of the Model 3 -- most likely until they update the Model S.

How much longer until we see a Model S P85D and Model 3 AWD Performance do 0-60? Will people be getting their Model 3 Performance AWD models this month?

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

I guess I don't have to worry since my P85D does it in 2.85 seconds :D

• Love x 1
  11. timvracer

timvracer Member

P100D is 2.4s, right? I am a 100d owner with serious P envy

• Funny x 2
  12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Only with Ludicrous + enabled, max battery in ready, and using launch control. If you're just goosing it for a pass, it's considerably less power.