Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X spoiler fixed or retractable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, we have a regular 90D ordered, and despite the configuration there is still a spoiler depicted in our order image. Odd...

View attachment 103879
Which makes me think it's fixed in that position for the other models because the center brake light is on it. Or maybe it's just a software switch and you can pay to have the spoiler "activated" at a later time. I can't see why they would complicate the production line by having spoiler motors for some and not for others.

Which makes me think it's fixed in that position for the other models because the center brake light is on it. Or maybe it's just a software switch and you can pay to have the spoiler "activated" at a later time. I can't see why they would complicate the production line by having spoiler motors for some and not for others.

I think so too. It's one of the questions I have to one of the Tesla ISRs at the moment. "Does the 90D (and 70D for that matter) come with a fixed spoiler?"

It's just bizarre that no one seems to know how the spoiler works. You would think someone would have figured it out at the launch event, or a founder would have at least explained how it works on their car, or something (that still wouldn't tell you how a non-P version operates, but at least it would be a start). There definitely seems to be a disconnect between whatever group writes stuff for their website and all the employees at Tesla who actually know how their own product works.

Just got off the phone with Tesla. The rear spoiler is fixed in position and not motorized on the 90D and 70D.

I wonder if the rear spoiler will look entirely different on the 70D and 90D if that's true. Seems kind of silly (in a bad way) for it to appear to be designed to lay flush but be permanently stuck in a fixed up position. Kind of like having a fake hood scoop. It would be okay if it popped up to only one fixed up position, but would lay flat when the car was off. But that's not what it sounds like so far.

I wonder if the rear spoiler will look entirely different on the 70D and 90D if that's true. Seems kind of silly (in a bad way) for it to appear to be designed to lay flush but be permanently stuck in a fixed up position. Kind of like having a fake hood scoop. It would be okay if it popped up to only one fixed up position, but would lay flat when the car was off. But that's not what it sounds like so far.
Well it should look like this, which looks pretty good to me (from the 90D in the Design Studio):

model-x-90-d-2-views.jpg

I find this really bizarre. There is a hollow for the spoiler to fit down into, and the actuators dip down inside through openings. Having it fixed will look like it's perpetually broken.
We don't know that yet. The design studio pictures aren't detailed enough to see exactly how the finish will look in the area of the spoiler on the 90D. And I'll bet they haven't built a single 90D yet, so maybe they're actually still working on those parts? This is Tesla we're talking about here. "Hey's let's sell 30,000 of these things to make sure there's demand. And then we can start building them."

BTW, someone in another thread said that they he talked to a sales rep yesterday who "confirmed" for him that the X will have heated front seats as standard, but would have *NO* spoiler, except on the "P" versions.

-CB

Yes let's not to spread the speculation about what 90D/70D would have or not have in terms of spoiler. We should just put our efforts on pushing Tesla for a clarification. Before that happens anyone who think it's a must have, or must not have, should wait for the clarification before placing your order.

Last edited:
Yes let's not to spread the speculation about what 90D/70D would have or not have in terms of spoiler. We should just put our efforts on pushing Tesla for a clarification. Before that happens anyone who think it's a must have, or must not have, should wait for the clarification before placing your order.

c'mon don't be a spoiler :tongue:

OK, I'm thinking fixed spoiler is pretty likely on the 90D and 70D. Why, you might ask? Not because Elon replied to my Tweet (he didn't) but because I finally received a response about it via e-mail from the "Build My X" folks. And it was pretty specific. I also got the specs on height, width and length.

"Length = 198 in, Height = 66.3 in, Width Overall = 89.4 in, Width (mirrors folded) = 81.6 in."

This means the width with mirrors folded in is only about 5 inches wider than my current car with mirrors out, I can live with that (narrow driveway). But the spoiler part:

"
Non-performance Model X includes a stationary spoiler that is fixed at the height of the active spoiler’s visibility (high) setting. The active spoiler is only available on P90Ds."

Spoiler it is! :)

-CB

Personally, I wanted no spoiler (especially not an active one) not due to appearance or anything else, but because I live in a dusty dirt road and cleaning my MS is already a pain. Trying to get junk out from under the spoiler does not sound fun. Given that my configuration would include a fixed spoiler, I hope the recess in the panel below does not exist on the non-P models. That'll be easy enough to clean.