TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the Model X spoiler fixed or retractable?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Twiddler, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

In every instance that I can recall from the event tonight, the spoilers on the Model X were in the "up" position, which begs the question, are they actually fixed permanently (and the mules shown without them simply did not have spoilers installed) or manually retractable? You would think that if the latter was the case, one of them would have had the spoiler down, which if that was the case, I didn't notice it.

MODs: There probably is already a thread on this, but I could not find it - please consolidate if one already does exist. Thanks.

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

A press release had this to say:

Model X comes standard with an active spoiler that automatically adjusts to three positions for maximum visibility and efficiency. Under 45 mph, the spoiler is positioned so the driver can see above and below it. At higher speeds the spoiler partially retracts for improved highway efficiency (+1.6%), and optimizes the vehicle's lift distribution. Model X is the only car with an active spoiler equipped with a center-high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL).

3. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Thanks - didn't see that!

So then I guess there is no fully-retracted position... humph

4. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

unless the 3rd position is fully retracted?

5. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

No idea why this wasn't mentioned during the event.

6. UMD86

UMD86 Member

Does the REAR SPOILER Retract?

Does the spoiler retract like on the Porsches??

7. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Are the caps really necessary in either thread?

8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

From the Model X website:

"Model X is able to achieve 250 miles of range in part because it is the most aerodynamic SUV in production. At 0.24, Model X's drag coefficient is 20% lower than the next best SUV. In addition, an active spoiler deploys to one of three preset positions when Model X, optimizing visibility, highway efficiency and stability."

By the way, there's a typo or something there...."when Model X" doesn't make sense in the context. Am I reading it incorrectly or is that a mistake?

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Typo. Poor proof reading. It's still there.

10. UMD86

UMD86 Member

It was an eye catcher because I did not see anyone ask the question. I was not shouting.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

so much wasn't mentioned

they were running an hour late and had to chop the script, plus Elon was tired

12. James Anders

James Anders Member

13. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I emailed "[email protected]" to notify them of the mistake. They fixed it:

"Model X is able to achieve 250 miles of range in part because it is the most aerodynamic SUV in production. At 0.24, Model X's drag coefficient is 20% lower than the next best SUV. In addition, an active spoiler deploys from the rear liftgate to optimize highway efficiency and stability."

Notice they also removed the "three preset positions".

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, that's responsive. I too was puzzled by the "three positions" language. And I'm still puzzled about how the spoiler works. So far I haven't seen it fully retracted. I would have thought that it would be flush at low speeds.

15. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

And here we are again. A pretty big design element to the vehicle (it cannot go without being noticed from almost any angle) yet no definitive data on when and how it works, how effective it is, etc? Particularly since it was noted to have a taillight several times during the presentation and on the website. BFD. I think many of us have built up pretty high expectations, at least myself included, over the multiple delays, presumably for R&D purposes, to have so few answers. I feel like I knew the prototype much, much better after its release than I know this car.

And I guess that is what is so paradoxical about this. Most of us who are owners have only excellent things to say about Tesla service - they are some of the most professional, responsive, hard-working people out there. But the general PR arm of Tesla is a nightmare!

16. PGeer

PGeer Member

I've wondered how it will do in a carwash if you can't manually retract it.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

New X info on the Tesla website. See Model X Press Kit | Tesla Motors
    Quote: "Model X comes standard with an active spoiler that automatically adjusts to three positions for maximum visibility and efficiency. Under 45 mph, the spoiler is positioned so the driver can see above and below it. At higher speeds the spoiler partially retracts for improved highway efficiency (+1.6%), and optimizes the vehicle’s lift distribution"
    So the X spoiler is standard. Below 45 it is at max height. At higher speeds it is at one of two lower heights, based on speed. That is how I interpret that statement.

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Which is odd because the design studio still says the P90D is the only model that comes with the active spoiler and the other two show pictures of it up like it's fixed that way. I'm guessing this is a ploy to sell more P's. ;-)

19. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Yeah, we have a regular 90D ordered, and despite the configuration there is still a spoiler depicted in our order image. Odd...

spoiler issue.png