Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X spoiler fixed or retractable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the design studio after revamp, it still says only the p90d's have the retractable spoiler. Looks like the early recipients may have gotten lucky from the lack of supply of fixed spoilers. Here's selfishly hoping the glut reached by the time I receive my 75d mid-year.
This darkens my day. The "free" upgrade to 75 kWh battery for our on-order MX ($1800 value) brightens it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBoylan
This darkens my day. The "free" upgrade to 75 kWh battery for our on-order MX ($1800 value) brightens it.
$3,000 value you mean. And potentially 4-6 months earlier delivery. From "late 2016" to "June." Both pieces of very good news for you. And if you get the fixed spoiler, well that's what they showed in the pictures so no harm no foul (but if you get the dynamic one then Yay!).
They also changed the default interior accent to dark ash (used to be matte obeche). Personally, I love the figured ash, and that's still $750 extra. The interior accent choices on the S and X are now identical after the refresh. That piano black option on the S is gone.

Reactions: emchen
$3,000 value you mean. And potentially 4-6 months earlier delivery. From "late 2016" to "June." Both pieces of very good news for you. And if you get the fixed spoiler, well that's what they showed in the pictures so no harm no foul (but if you get the dynamic one then Yay!).
They also changed the default interior accent to dark ash (used to be matte obeche). Personally, I love the figured ash, and that's still $750 extra. The interior accent choices on the S and X are now identical after the refresh. That piano black option on the S is gone.

We got the figured ash. I thought it was glossy upon ordering, and we were (not happily) suprised it was matte/natural when we received the car. But it really grew on us quickly, and we really love it too! It's a really warm contrast to the modern materials the rest of the car is made out of, not to mention it doesn't show dust or fingerprints either.

(black leather seats, figured ash, light headliner)

We got the figured ash. I thought it was glossy upon ordering, and we were (not happily) suprised it was matte/natural when we received the car. But it really grew on us quickly, and we really love it too! It's a really warm contrast to the modern materials the rest of the car is made out of, not to mention it doesn't show dust or fingerprints either.

Same scenario and same outcome, but I think I would still have liked the glossy better, but now I am not totally sure, :confused:

If it helps, there is no glossy figured ash option...
Right, but the pictures sure looked like it was. And I was all set expecting to see that and was 'shocked' like you when I saw it was a matte finish. Now it looks a bit more semi gloss and also looks better in natural, bright lighting. In the dark deliver tent, not so much.

Reactions: Roentgen

You can trivially gloss that up if you want ... but the modern trend is matte, and it does grow on you. I myself was a bit disappointed that the figured ash is really mostly "cross cut" ash (figured in my book == many iridescent "swirly" knots) ... but it looks fine to me now. Cabinet makers pull the same trick (there's no standard on the wood), par for the course....

You can trivially gloss that up if you want ... but the modern trend is matte, and it does grow on you. I myself was a bit disappointed that the figured ash is really mostly "cross cut" ash (figured in my book == many iridescent "swirly" knots) ... but it looks fine to me now. Cabinet makers pull the same trick (there's no standard on the wood), par for the course....
I would have died and gone to heaven with quartersawn, but that was not going to happen. After the fact that we all waited so long I wonder what the odds would have been if we shipped lumber to Tesla's wood supplier and had custom woodwork made. That would be way cool.

That was the actual difference when comparing the old spec sheet with the new yesterday. Must've been something wrong cuz today it IS a $3000 difference! :oops:
Hmmm. I went into the Model X design studio on Tuesday morning as soon as it opened and the 75D was listed at $83,000 vs. the 70D having been $80,000.

I think people may have assumed that the "destination and doc fee" ($1,200) was included in that $83K price, but it was not. It is a bit confusing because Tesla still shows "+$1,200 destination and doc fee" *above* the $83,000 price instead of below it.

There's a screen cap from Tuesday morning in my article: Tesla Refreshes Model S, Beefs Up Model X With Larger Battery, Higher Base Price — More Updates

I think it still looks about the same.

Nothing like reading to the end of the posts before commenting. :eek:
My 90D non-PUP is passive, retracted at parked/locked, then UP when driving. Only two states.

Active has multiple positions while driving conditions dictate, like 3 in between UP/DOWN, so don't confuse active & passive.

I can say maximum visibility out the back is welcome, so my (only) UP driving position enables that perfectly.