Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P3D and LR AWD 3 the same physical car ? Are only the front brakes different ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the looks of this sticker that was on my car the non performance AWD DV4W is a No Performance Chassis PC30
There is a different chassis for the Performance AWD

View attachment 411526

Could “performance chassis” just be referring to the + pack ? ( bigger brakes, spoiler pedals lower springs )?

And are the brakes only different in the front with the + pack - or is it all the way around ?

I'm pretty sure performance chassis refers to the suspension/brake changes for what used to be the Performance Upgrade Package that is now standard.

They may have originally intended to bin the inverters, but if the yield was good enough it became unnecessary. It's pretty common in the CPU market for the yield to be so high that they mark higher performance CPUs down to lower SKUs.

Ultimately, if it's not significantly more expensive to produce all performance drive units, then it's probably cheaper to maintain only one part.

Reactions: Nocturnal
It won't cost $10K if they offer it and after your warranty is up you will be able to get it very cheap.
After warranty is up, yeah maybe it would be less. They have to do it far enough down the road to not piss off Performance owners and not cannibalize P cars.

Some are hoping for like a 5k upgrade in the near future which is not going to happen.

After warranty is up, yeah maybe it would be less. They have to do it far enough down the road to not piss off Performance owners and not cannibalize P cars.

Some are hoping for like a 5k upgrade in the near future which is not going to happen.

5k probably never... though a 6k upgrade would be the same amount Tesla actually charged, net, to upgrade from AWD to P3D-

From Wikipedia Chassis - Wikipedia

Motor vehicle chassis with its suspension, exhaust system, and steering box
A chassis (US: /ˈtʃæsi/,[1] UK: /ˈʃæsi/;[2] plural chassis /-iz/) is the framework of an artificial object, which supports the object in its construction and use. An example of a chassis is a vehicle frame, the underpart of a motor vehicle, on which the body is mounted; if the running gear such as wheels and transmission, and sometimes even the driver's seat, are included, then the assembly is described as a rolling chassis.

5k probably never... though a 6k upgrade would be the same amount Tesla actually charged, net, to upgrade from AWD to P3D-

P to AWD is now a 1.2s difference, but was 1.0s when I bought my car, and AWD to Standard+ is 0.7s. Not that I have a right to complain (the car keeps getting better, which is awesome), but it definitely seems like there's ample room to give AWDs a little more love.

Really? I thought they never used rollout numbers for any Model 3 numbers? Is that not the case?

it's not.

They didn't initially do it for the 3.

Then one day the published # on the P3 got 0.2 faster without any change to the actual car or software. But only on the P.

Folks here confirmed no actual change happened on the car- just the published number. (which is the same nonsense they've done with the S/X in the past)

Anyway- pre-5% power bump, folks were getting ~4.2-4.3 on the AWD.... ~3.2-3.3 on the P if you used rollout for both.

Post 5% bump a couple guys have gotten (just barely) under 4 on the AWD, though they might have factory freak cars I guess and I think at least one other maybe got a 4.1.... I don't think I've seen anything better than 3.2 on a P though (if I've missed one please let me know).

I don't think I've seen anything better than 3.2 on a P though (if I've missed one please let me know).

Post-update, I got 3.17s on a stock P3D+, level ground, at sea level (not including rollout); I weigh ~155-160 pounds. I did have to turn on Track Mode for whatever reason to keep the power coming above 40mph. There was a tweak in a subsequent update to maintain power for longer at high speeds which may have resolved some torque (and power) limitation that existed even at high SoC, but I haven't checked. (I blame it on having a motor from the wrong bin. ;))

P3D+ Acceleration

There is a guy in Florida with aftermarket 18" wheels (which are lighter too), but just as important the diameter of 235/45R18 is slightly smaller than that of 235/35/R20 tires by about 0.5%. Which would take the time to about 3.15s probably. He's done a bit better than that I think (on Dragy I think). Can't remember his name right now.

Last edited: