Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the range normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model S 75 on 12/2017, built 11/2017. The range according to the docs is 249 miles, but when I charge it up to 90%, it says 218 which means that 100% is ~242 miles. Is this normal or should I tell this to Tesla?

I haven't had the opportunity to charge it up to 100% yet or ever got under 40%

My service center just told me that some fluctuation is expected because your car gauges it’s range based upon your driving habits, temperature, power consumption inside the car, and weather conditions. I was told by another owner, When you goon a road trip, don’t watch your gauge on the instrument cluster, if you want to know your true range switch over to your power consumption screen and press the trip button. That will give you a more a urate range based upon current conditions. This will also show up on the gps when you use the nav feature. Sounds pretty normal to me.

chispas,
What you are experiencing is a display inaccuracy, not actual degradation. If happens when you avoid getting close to 0% or 100% for a long time. Charging to over 93% and depleting to below 20% once every couple of months should be enough to keep the displayed range more accurate. Be aware that leaving the car sitting near 100% or 0% is bad. Check out my messages here and here.

My service center just told me that some fluctuation is expected because your car gauges it’s range based upon your driving habits, temperature, power consumption inside the car, and weather conditions.

That's not exactly true. Driving habits and consumption inside the car don't affect the rated range displayed when you charge to 100%. Temperature has minimal effect. Rated range might drop by 3 miles in winter. However, the comment about driving habits affecting rated range is false because rated range is based on a fixed constant for each Tesla model. More info here.

Last edited: