Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the wildfire smoke impacting Bay Area CA solar production? Aug 6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it isn't good. Worse up in the Central Valley and Auburn area.

2E2607D5-AF3E-42FD-8A7A-587CEC4EEAF7.jpeg

About 10-15% down for me yesterday in San Jose. Yesterday walking to lunch I noticed you could barely see the mountains through the haze, and the sky was more grey than the blue it was a day earlier. Clearly not as much sunlight getting to the ground.

About 10-15% down for me yesterday in San Jose. Yesterday walking to lunch I noticed you could barely see the mountains through the haze, and the sky was more grey than the blue it was a day earlier. Clearly not as much sunlight getting to the ground.

Down about 10-15% here on the lower peninsula as well. Can still see the mountains in the distance though - the haze today seems more diffuse and high up, as the air quality at ground level is still pretty good.

Be prepared to clean your panels once the smoke (and ash) clears. With the smoke and ashfall from the Napa fires last fires, my production was down 25%. The exact improvement on consecutive cloudless days (before and after cleaning) was either 25% or 26% when measured as peak kW production or full day kWHr production. The other aspect of cleaning is that the ash will quickly become a concrete-like cake when you combine morning dew and afternoon heat.

In Merced, where PA was 160ish, I was down about 25% on Saturday. Yesterday PA was in the 60ish range and I was down about 4%.
One interesting thing to note is that the AQI doesn't necessarily correlate to solar production since it only is a surface measurement. In last year's Blade Runner event (9/9/2020), AQI ranged from 75 in the morning to 130 in the evening, and I had basically no production. Two days later the AQI ranged from 285 to 190 and I got 16.6 kWh (down about 55% from normal).

Reactions: BGbreeder