Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a master key that opens all model 3 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my model3 in for service. When I did that with my roadster, model S and model X, I always left the key with service center. When I got to service center I looked in my wallet for key card but I had forgotten it. For the last 7 months my phone key worked perfectly and I no longer carry the card routinely. Wondered if I would have to leave phone with them, but they said no problem and were able to service the car. So I am now wondering if they have a “master key” or do they generate a new key card for people that do that. If the latter I would imagine them giving the new key card to the customer on pick up but none was offered and I didn’t think to ask at the time. Anyone aware of what they do?

I'm sure there is a form of master key. Just like hotel managers have a key that opens all rooms, I'm sure service center staff have a "master key". I'd also assume that every master key use is logged and possibly geo-fenced to prevent abuse.

Then again - I might be wrong.

...roadster, model S and model X...

I don't know about the Roadster, but with Model S and Model X, Tesla didn't need my keys when I am locked out and they would just remotely unlock them over the phone.

If they can do that over the phone, I don't see how Service Center can not imitate Road Assistance people in order to work on your car without a Model 3 key.

Last edited:
They need some way of recovering all keys-lost cars.

We do know that they geo-fence to Service Centers and some updates, that patch the bootloader itself, can only be initiated when the vehicle is a designated Tesla Service Center location. The question is whether or not a Ranger is able to do this?

Another thing that may be going on is that the "master key" is Tesla's database, that they have all the vehicle unique crypto-keys stored and someone with access to that internal system can upload that into whatever cardkey simulating device they have.

Reactions: smatthew