Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is there a tesla lemon law?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i've had my vehicle for almost 2 years now and have had multiple things changed or replaced. I've has ball bearings replaced, Door handles, Door handle motor, Drivetrain replaced and most recently the 12V battery replaced. The list provided is not everything but it seems to me that i've had a lot of things replaced. I will say that Tesla has been amazing and have fixed all issues without complaint from me.

Reactions: Akikiki
To answer the question in the title, no there is no law I know of that specifically deals with Tesla lemons. Most if not all states have laws for all new vehicle lemons. At two years old though I am pretty sure the time is long past for declaring your vehicle a lemon. That of course is dependent on your state's law though so you should find out what it is.

Your car isn't a lemon by any lemon law. Unless the same thing keeps breaking, move along and enjoy the car. Most auto manufacturers won't be so nice to deal with when getting cars fixed even under warranty. Enjoy that. If someone does keep breaking, then do some research. Its not hard to find out information on lemon laws in your state.

Lemon laws typically focus on a manufacturer's inability to correct a problem--you need a new drivetrain every 3 months, for example--not a series of fixed problems.

But bigger picture, what would you expect them to do? This sounds like a series of small inconveniences that they've handled well. I agree that there should not be this many small inconveniences. But do you like your car? Would you buy another one? If the answer to both questions is yes, maybe you're in good shape overall.

This is the lemon law in Ohio:

If you can answer “yes” to any of the following four questions, you have the legal right to ask the manufacturer to replace the lemon or refund the entire purchase price:

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
• Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem either continues to exist or occurs again?
• Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first?
• Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems?
• Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?

Tesla has posted their official "Lemon Law" position by applicable state in the Document section in of your "My Tesla" account section of the Tesla website. Simply logon to your account and select "Manage" next to the image of your Tesla car. I found several helpful official documents in this section.