Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a voice command "Turn Fog Lights on" that works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried several times to use the voice command, "turn fog lights on", or "Fog lights on", only to get a message stating, " this feature is not available yet".

Am I just using the wrong voice command? or is this seeming simple feature just something that has illuded the software programming folks at Tesla?

Big Fail on this; not only does the voice command not work (turns on dome lights for me), but fog light button is buried 3 clicks deep in the menu maze.

Tesla needs to stop designing the interface like it’s a desktop or tablet app, and instead like it’s a vehicle console (or spaceship cockpit, if the former isn’t sexy enough): anything you’d ever need to interact with while in motion, easily accessible on the main screen.

Big Fail on this; not only does the voice command not work (turns on dome lights for me), but fog light button is buried 3 clicks deep in the menu maze.

Tesla needs to stop designing the interface like it’s a desktop or tablet app, and instead like it’s a vehicle console (or spaceship cockpit, if the former isn’t sexy enough): anything you’d ever need to interact with while in motion, easily accessible on the main screen.
I agree that they should make important controls available with a single touch (and voice control option). That being said, currently to turn on fog lights you just have to press the car icon (to open controls) and tap on the fog light button. Not ideal, but not exactly a maze.

I agree that they should make important controls available with a single touch (and voice control option). That being said, currently to turn on fog lights you just have to press the car icon (to open controls) and tap on the fog light button. Not ideal, but not exactly a maze.
That’s incorrect: 1.) tap car icon; 2.) tap Lights; 3.) tap Front Fog.

Do this when you suddenly enter a foggy area or rain squall.

3 taps = 2 taps too many. Stupidly, the Auto Highbeams light is available more quickly.

I've really trying to get into the voice command mode on all things but I've found it to be very inconsistent. I was told by someone else on the forum (another post) that voice commands are cloud based and will not work if you're connectivity is bad. Which if true has me really concerned with losing this after the complimentary period ends (Aug). If true I'm not going to pay $10 a month for something that just work. I live in a pretty rual area and with so many functions buried...

Does anyone know if the cloud based assumption is true?

Maybe they will make more functions moveable where you can paste them on the bottom screen.

3 taps = 2 taps too many. Stupidly, the Auto Highbeams light is available more quickly.
This also breaks "Distracted Driving" laws which limit the number of button pushes.

Reactions: Beta V

Actually, you can still toggle this with a click of the stalk forward and a click on the screen on the mini menu. This annoyed me to no end until someone notified me of this shortcut...

I stand corrected, good call. I guess I am so used to it already that I forgot about the lights section because I just press it without thinking. Definitely not ideal, especially in sudden weather as you mentioned.

Actually, you can still toggle this with a click of the stalk forward and a click on the screen on the mini menu. This annoyed me to no end until someone notified me of this shortcut...
Are you saying you can get a fog light shortcut by flashing your brights at oncoming traffic? I’ll experiment with that, but boy does that ever present its own problems…

Are you saying you can get a fog light shortcut by flashing your brights at oncoming traffic? I’ll experiment with that, but boy does that ever present its own problems…
All this does is enable / disable the auto high beams. I have never seen the high beams actually come on in the time I've used this. I never leave this on, so I will enable to get the mini menu, make the change then turn it back off. It sounds like a lot, but it's really no effort to click the stalk forward a couple of times.
IMG_5185.jpeg

Last edited:
All this does is enable / disable the auto high beams. I have never seen the high beams actually come on in the time I've used this. I never leave this on, so I will enable to get the mini menu, make the change then turn it back off. It sounds like a lot, but it's really no effort to click the stalk forward a couple of times.
Ah, gotcha. That’s a clever hack. I never use auto high beams, but I might use this trick to work around the buried fogs.

Yes, voice commands (currently) require a network connection (and WiFi doesn't seem to work, so I can't explore it in the garage.)

This makes sense for navigation searches and streaming audio searches, but I'm hoping they'll make everything else work in-car and add, say, fog lights, selecting audio sources, and searching USB audio files.

Q. Do voice commands require premium connectivity?

I've really trying to get into the voice command mode on all things but I've found it to be very inconsistent. I was told by someone else on the forum (another post) that voice commands are cloud based and will not work if you're connectivity is bad. Which if true has me really concerned with losing this after the complimentary period ends (Aug). If true I'm not going to pay $10 a month for something that just work. I live in a pretty rual area and with so many functions buried...

Maybe they will make more functions moveable where you can paste them on the bottom screen.
I don't think the voice commands are linked to premium connectivity. When that ends, you still have connectivity for voice

Reactions: Boza
Do you have a reference for that?
I'm not sure. The quote refers to a mounted hand held device.

Under the picture it says this: Police say multiple touches on a mounted cellphone or handheld device while driving is illegal under Manitoba's distracted driving laws. So, maybe the direct reference to "mounted hand held device" is getting around the law. Open for interpretation I suppose but may have to be proven in court.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza