Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to tell if there is a key fob inside the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we took delivery of a showroom model x. They could only find 1 key fob and going to give us the 2nd one later. Today when we are testing the car, some of the things don't seem to work. Like locking the car when the key is very far away. Or auto present when the key fob is close. All the settings seem to be correct but none of those works. I could lock the car by clicking the roof of the key fob (the one we got) once. That's the only way to lock the car. Even using the Tesla app, we could lock the car, but it would open if someone goes to press the door handle and it will unlock it without key fob.

Now I am wondering.. if they left the 2nd key fob in the car somewhere. I think that would explain all the things I am seeing. Anyone knows where they would put the key fob in a showroom car? Or if there is a way to tell the key fob is in the car?

It sounds like that’s the case. I think the easy way to tell would be to place the one fob you have far away and then try to start the car. It should only start with a fob in the car.

Ah. Okay thanks. I will try that when my wife drives it back later tonight. :p If it is the case, it will interesting to see where it would be... hiding. I checked glove compartment and all the cup holders...

Glad to hear this! With the FOB in the car, anyone could open the car and start it.
Congrats on your new MX!

Yeah we didn't know. She drove to the mall and called me saying that the app said the car was not lock even after she left the parking lot and entered the mall. I told her to just hit the lock button on the app and lock it. It seems to work. But then later on we tested it at home... yeah the app said it was locked but anyone could just go to the car and push the handle and open it! And I guess they could have drive it away too with the fob being in the car LOL.

The key fob is $500? Well... I went and told them we found the fob so they don't have to order one for us.. :p They did give me a nice box with 2 key rings and fob opening tool. So now I have an extra key ring for the fob. :D

This is insane, you would think they would know when looking for the other fob that they couldn’t lock it (taking about the Service Center). They probably didn’t have time to troubleshoot this, but they should have figured it out.

Glad you got it figured out! Tesla does need a fob missing/in the car, as BMW has had for ten years.

Car theft is the most obvious risk if an owner inadvertently leaves a key fob in the car. This was the cause of a theft recently reported from Vancouver, B.C. I think a warning to the driver when leaving the fob behind would be an easy OTA firmware addition.

Many other cars have this feature. Why not Tesla? If there’s no buzzer, the emergency flashers could come on to alert the driver to retrieve the key before leaving the car.