Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an app that tells you if supercharger stalls are full?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW: excepting for parts of CA, the one in Syosset NY and the SC in DE I have never witnessed any sort of overcrowding of superchargers, so for me this really hasn't been an issue.

I've had my S now for a little over a month and have used almost all of the superchargers along I95 between JFK and Delaware and have never had to wait. Turnover at the superchargers is fast, that's the beauty of them. It fascinates me to see the quick rotation of Teslas roll through during my speedy supercharge sessions, it always makes me smile. Coming from a Leaf I was used to seeing cars plugged in to public stations for hours and there was no point in waiting for a stall to open.

Plug share is really your only option right now but the data on plugshare is only as good as the community and Tesla owners don't use it.

I had a discussion about this on another thread and it's very difficult for Tesla owners to see the need to check into plugshare when using the superchargers.

Tesla has realtime supercharger telemetry and vehicle telemetry data. Making use of this information to tell a driver there are 5 full stalls and 3 cars waiting, and calculating earliest charging start time assuming the drivers in the stalls fill up is a summer intern project, but the necessary code changes to affected systems may not be.

Tesla las would in theory also be able to track drivers who linger longer than necessary after their Teslas get fully charged. Docking them charging minutes from their next supercharge would be a good incentive to maintain good behavior. The way the hogging penalty could work would be to force you to disconnect and start charging again at another stall, effectively forcing you to the ask of a line if there's a queue and you haven't charged as much as you want.

They can probably estimate fairly well how many cars are also queueing up, from the GPS locations of the cars, as well as "average time to stall", and other useful stats.

I'd like to call on the noble thinkers and great drinkers of this forum to contribute to a related topic .

There is a discussion going on with respect to CHAdeMO charging stations for non Tesla cars that relates to this dialog. The question is: "how much value is there in knowing whether a station is occupied or not when you are remote to the station?" For fast charging, the situation can completely changed by the time you get there even if you are only 5 or 10 minutes away. Assuming the application cannot determine if there is a line waiting for charging, of how much value is there really in knowing whether the charging station is occupied? This question is more critcal to CHAdeMO users as they typically dont have more that 1 or 2 chargers per site.

Again, please assume that there is no way of telling whether a line exists or not.

Tesla is the only one that has the data for this. They know when cars are supercharging, and could probably determine cars that require charge (routed on a trip) that are at a supercharger, but not yet charging. If you add the current usage level of the available chargers they'd know exactly how many cars are waiting, how long of charge those cars need, and estimated wait time.

I'd like to call on the noble thinkers and great drinkers of this forum to contribute to a related topic .

There is a discussion going on with respect to CHAdeMO charging stations for non Tesla cars that relates to this dialog. The question is: "how much value is there in knowing whether a station is occupied or not when you are remote to the station?" For fast charging, the situation can completely changed by the time you get there even if you are only 5 or 10 minutes away. Assuming the application cannot determine if there is a line waiting for charging, of how much value is there really in knowing whether the charging station is occupied? This question is more critcal to CHAdeMO users as they typically dont have more that 1 or 2 chargers per site.

Again, please assume that there is no way of telling whether a line exists or not.

Hopefully Tesla will add this functionality.

Hopefully they will also allow the user to report stalls which are ICEd. It won't do any good to say there are 6 stalls available and no wait for charging if all of the stalls occupied by ICE vehicles. Perhaps a more general ability to report the stalls are blocked would be useful as it could indicate snow needs to be plowed, the dumpster needs to be moved out of the way, etc.

Tesla is playing this very smart. Rolling technology and features out over time. The road map for car models/revisions, software updates, hardware implementation you name it is constantly in flux. Based on numbers like units on the road, customer satisfaction, resource allocation and most importantly money.

Of course they can implement technology to show stall availability. But why? Why not a bit further down the road when there is capacity restraint and declining customer satisfaction. When MS owners (free) are held up by M3's (cost) because there are so many of them sucking up supercharger juice then they'll start thinking about how to implement what we think we need now. If they implemented the ability to track stall usage now they'd have to do it all over again a different way a year or two from now. Why bother.

Tesla is playing this very smart. Rolling technology and features out over time. The road map for car models/revisions, software updates, hardware implementation you name it is constantly in flux. Based on numbers like units on the road, customer satisfaction, resource allocation and most importantly money.

Of course they can implement technology to show stall availability. But why? Why not a bit further down the road when there is capacity restraint and declining customer satisfaction. When MS owners (free) are held up by M3's (cost) because there are so many of them sucking up supercharger juice then they'll start thinking about how to implement what we think we need now. If they implemented the ability to track stall usage now they'd have to do it all over again a different way a year or two from now. Why bother.
The quoted underlined part is a judgement / balancing act. Drawing on the goodwill of the early adopters while they experience delays now versus unveiling features later to show that Tesla are managing the SpC traffic is something I do not support. At this time, you are giving too much credit to Tesla considering how badly the range anxiety route planning/charging software performed.