Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an EAP trial after Model 3 delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC, there was a time when an S or X owner without Autopilot, could enroll in an Autopilot trial period (30 day?). Any idea if that is available right now for any vehicle. I'm particularly interested to know if this is available for new Model 3 owners.

I'm not enabling EAP in my order initially but would love to try EAP out on my first long distance trip once I get my model 3. This will help me decide if I want to add it at some point in the future.

Side question... If you enable EAP after delivery, do you pay sales tax onthe $5K?

The model S/X autopilot trial was not something they enrolled in, IIRC it was something that was just there one morning with an update. Everyone received 30 days free and then it was gone. As far as I know it has only been done once and there is no similar program for either the S, the X, or the 3.

As for the sales tax question, there is a whole thread somewhere talking about it and I think it comes down to your state tax laws.

Also keep in mind that purchasing post delivery allows credit cards, so you should be able to knock off 2% ($100) from the price. Local tax laws are important to understand too. Here in MA, I think that the annual excise tax is based on the sticker of the vehicle forever. 2.5% of the value, which is 90% in year of delivery, dropping annually to 60%, 40%, 25%, then 10% thereafter. So theorically over an 8 year ownership, not purchasing at delivery would save an additional $318 in taxes.

The point being that if you are on the fence and decide later, depending on your tax laws the penalty isn't exactly $1,000.

(all of the above ignores the time value of money)

They probably should have some sort of trial offered. Since it doesn't look like test drives will be in the cards anytime soon, I almost certainly will never try autopilot before buying my car without it. It could be that I don't know what I'm missing, and that experiencing it would make me aware of its value. I guess we'll never know!

I am in the process of purchasing a Model 3 as a surprise gift for my mother. Since it is a surprise, I can't ask her if she'd like to have autopilot. Consensus in my family is that she will never use it.

I asked my DS if I could get a 5 day grace period post delivery to see if she'd want Autopilot before the price moves from $5k to $6k. He ran it up the Tesla chain and I was told this was not possible. Unfortunate but I guess that is Tesla's position. So I am taking the advise of the family and not enabling EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Set up a test drive for a Model S or X with autopilot, while maybe not exact, the experience and functionality should be very similar.
Yes, this.

I can confirm that the experience & functionality are very very similar. I was with my sister in her new Model 3 for three days, and it was the same as my X, just missing the separate stalk to initiate.

So I'll repeat dsvick's advice: If you don't know if you want it or not, set up a test drive at your local store with an S or an X for the purpose of checking out Autopilot.

You want it.

Reactions: Kipp
Set up a test drive for a Model S or X with autopilot, while maybe not exact, the experience and functionality should be very similar.

Actually doing a real trip with Autopilot in my own car would go a long way in helping my wife and I determine if Autopilot is worth it for us. I'm tentatively planning on getting Autopilot this coming fall, with some extra funds that show up then, but $6K is somewhat pricey for something that we really don't know if we need. The difference between test driving for an hour or so and actually using it on a real multi-day trip seem like night and day. If autopilot is that good, the real trip would likely help convince people to fork over the cash. I'd think a 2-week trial would be sufficient (at least for me).

I recall they did offer a trial in the past. Don’t know why they don’t offer it to everyone. If it’s that good people will buy it. It’s likely most non-purchases are due to the lack of understanding or experience with it.

Personally, I did not purchase it with my X. Mostly because I wasn’t sure what it would be like. I’ve since had loaners with and had a chance to try it locally. But I just ordered my 3 without. Because in the short time I used it locally, it didn’t grab me. But if I had a 2-4 week trial, it might change my mind and add it (after the fact obviously).

It’s software. They allowed people to access the extra range temporarily on locked batteries. I’m assuming this isn’t hard to do.

Echoing others to go test an S autopilot. I did that a couple weeks ago, and frankly was unimpressed. I asked the rep with me what it included, and he said "Basically it's only TACC on a reliable basis at this point, plus autosteer on highways". It worked pretty well on the highway. It did not work very well on the local road which was a bit windy and had small hills (attempted to throw us into the oncoming lane of traffic before I grabbed it). Upon returning to the Tesla parking lot, I wanted to see it autopark. We tried for about 3 minutes, going up and down the lot past multiple parking spots, and it was unable to detect a spot to park.

Overall it wasn't a very impressive demonstration of the technology in it's current state. I am electing to pass on EAP for my 3 at this point.

I would be happy if a month of EAP was given as that "somthing special for day 1 reservation holders". It would essentially cost Tesla nothing and potentially sell more EAP. Doing this for everyone would be even better, IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: shelbri