Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any advantage to using a GEN3 charger if my GEN1 charger still works fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question has a fundamental piece of information missing that makes it hard to answer.
First off, are you talking about a wall connector, or the mobile connector?
I can either buy an adapter to allow my GEN3 charger to work, or I can just keep using the GEN1 adapter I have leftover from when I traded in my old S. Is there any reason I should make the change to GEN3?
"buy an adapter"? Huh? Wall connectors don't use adapters, so this makes me think you are talking about the mobile connector with the swappable plugs for different outlets. But that wouldn't make any sense, because there aren't 3 versions of the mobile connector. It just has the Gen1 and Gen2.

The wall connectors do have Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3, but there aren't any adapters involved in using wall connectors.

Help us help you.

The UMC (travel chargers) have two generations.

Gen 1 -
  • Up to 40a (on a 50a circuit - assuming car supports it)
  • Limited adaptors
  • No temp sensor in the plug
Gen 2
  • Up to 32a (on a 50a circuit)
  • Larger selection of adaptors
  • Temp sensor in plug for overheat protection

I'd personally keep using the Gen1.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The UMC (travel chargers) have two generations.

Gen 1 -
  • Up to 40a (on a 50a circuit)
  • Limited adaptors
  • No temp sensor in the plug
Gen 2
  • Up to 32a (on a 50a circuit)
  • Larger selection of adaptors
  • Temp sensor in plug for overheat protection

I'd personally keep using the Gen1.

I'd also get a 14-50 adapter for your 'included with car' Gen 2 UMC and keep the Gen 2 in your car for trips in case you need to plug into a 14-50 if you run out of superchargers. It's what I'm doing, although I will confess to never having had to do it on the road anywhere. I did get close one time :)

@mmanner there are far more J1772 stations available now days than 14-50 outlets accessible to the public.

Of course depends on your area.

I’ve never used the 14-50 away from home except at a relatives house.

Hi, definitely you are right about more J1772 stations. The 14-50 adapters aren't terribly expensive, however, and if you go on a long trip and took the Gen 1 adapter, you can get a bit more charging speed if you happen to be able to find a 14-50. Maybe not worth the trouble.

On the relative's house point, that is actually the only place I have used one too. My son has one he put in for me to visit.

How do you know the difference? What do you look for on the charger?

By looking how it can fit an adapter:

Gen1 Adapter has no tails (for 120V 15A outlet):

1014355-10-B_0.jpg

Gen2 Adapter has a tail (for the same 120V 15A outlet):

5-15_1099345-00-C_0.png