Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there dislike towards EV drivers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are part of your system and you are part of theirs. At the moment, the EV driver benefits from the ICE driver in terms of tax incentives and shorter lines to charge (+ loads more). ICE drivers benefit on EV owners being early adopters suffering on the bleeding edge and suffering rapid depreciation in some cases as well as everyone hopefully getting some environmental benefit.

Just because someone is 'Green' they can't ignore that they are part of a system that isn't.
Thanks. You just gave me the words I have been looking for for future "discussions".

Thanks. You just gave me the words I have been looking for for future "discussions".

I think while environmental issues (although decreasing so) allow a feeling of disconnectedness between different groups (have / have-nots - but most people are on both sides for different reasons), Covid is at least a universal issue unavoidably effecting everyone.

Environment is the same, just easier to mask / hide / distort etc.

The more equipment the better. If you’re spending the thick end of £40000 Ona. Car you would expect more than a four seats and an iPad. The BMW M3 equipment levels are way beyond even the priciest model 3 performance.

Also, maybe it’s an EV thing? But don’t confuse straight line speed with performance

A lot of American 'performance' cars don't handle apparently and yet they all still manage to go round corners without falling off the road every five minutes.

The problem with your BMW M3 is to feel like it is going fast you need to be doing silly speeds with a Tesla M3 ALL you need to do is have a squirt of throttle 'and relax' job done AND you get to keep your licence.

One of us seems to be getting confused about EV Performance, would you like it explained again?

I do admit I don't understand what equipment the Tesla M3 is missing that YOU really must have can you point out where it is deficient? Would be fantastic if you could list exactly what the BMW comes with that the Tesla does not that you simply can't live without.

A lot of American 'performance' cars don't handle apparently and yet they all still manage to go round corners without falling off the road every five minutes.

The problem with your BMW M3 is to feel like it is going fast you need to be doing silly speeds with a Tesla M3 ALL you need to do is have a squirt of throttle 'and relax' job done AND you get to keep your licence.

One of us seems to be getting confused about EV Performance, would you like it explained again?

I do admit I don't understand what equipment the Tesla M3 is missing that YOU really must have can you point out where it is deficient? Would be fantastic if you could list exactly what the BMW comes with that the Tesla does not that you simply can't live without.

A wiper stalk, for starts ;)

I don't think most road user's have any issues with EV cars, I think most would like one. when the price comes down to the average family who buy small cars for what there needs are and I mean prices come down, small family cars can be £15k for petrol and for some that's all they can spend.

The petrol heads will always dislike EV cars, and think up as many excuses as they can as to why EV is not so good, or not as fast, or don't handle round corners, what ever reason you will never dissuade that opinion. the truth comes with ownership of an EV and not until the governments fully get behind the EV will it change. after all they reap so much tax from oil in so many parts of the economy its hard to see how they will replace the revenue from oil.

On a lighter note i was pleased to read a card left under my windscreen wiper from a young girl who was placing them under all the cars at the super charger thanking EV drivers for not polluting her future and others of her generation. I kept the card and it sits under a fridge magnet at home to remind me of one young lady's effort in thanking EV drivers.

Once again, there’s a lot more to performance than straight line speed. That’s why the BMW M3 has better driving dynamics than a model 3 performance. In my experience it’s close though.

The thing you seem to be missing, by asking me what I NEED in a car is missing the point somewhat. If I just wanted a car with things I NEED on it, I’d buy a Dacia Sandero.
When you are spending £60 grand on a car you expect more than things you need. The bmw has adaptive suspension and a HUD for example. Both should be on a model 3 performance. Especially the latter with the lack of a dashboard.

That's a bit harsh. I'm all for performance,ance and light weight. Having owned a (not particularly quick or powerful) extremely light car in the past I can appreciate the affects on handling of a light car. They thing about this being an EV forum though is it's just not currently possible to have a lightweight EV with a practical range.

Maybe that'll change? The lotus Evija should help? Surely they, of all car companies, won't produce a heavy car?

My car routes are firmly Lotus (still own an Elan M100) and no doubt that the original Elise is a great fun (light ish) car. The T Roadster is what got me seriously looking at Tesla tears ago, but while the Roadster (despite all its differences under the skin) is Elise sized, obviously it loses all of the agile feeling of the Elise.

I would love Lotus to capture the feel of the Elise in a more environmentally compatible design, but given that the Elise already exists with ICE and batteries are heavy, I think it will be a long time before we see that happen.

Reactions: Neilio
Having reflected on the original thread question, my observation from driving the nations roads for a fair while would be that most drivers hate most other drivers full stop. It doesn’t really seem to matter what sort of cars are involved, there’s just mostly hatred going on every mile of every road.

Less where we live to be fair, everyone here seems to wave at each other for the sake of it, it’s quite nice to see.

I’m not sure I expect to be hated more because of having an EV, but I may at some point end up going slower or faster than someone else prefers, that might be enough to trigger dislike I guess.

Once again, there’s a lot more to performance than straight line speed. That’s why the BMW M3 has better driving dynamics than a model 3 performance. In my experience it’s close though.

The thing you seem to be missing, by asking me what I NEED in a car is missing the point somewhat. If I just wanted a car with things I NEED on it, I’d buy a Dacia Sandero.
When you are spending £60 grand on a car you expect more than things you need. The bmw has adaptive suspension and a HUD for example. Both should be on a model 3 performance. Especially the latter with the lack of a dashboard.

Some would argue that a Mazda MX-5 has superior driving dynamics to a BMW M3, depends upon what you want 'performance' wise. For instance dragsters are all about 'straight line speed' as you like to put it BUT are pretty useless at carrying that speed through a corner BUT yet they still drive them on track. And yet as I have said before the Tesla has undeniably epic 'straight line speed' but equally can also go round corners just as well as most could ever want, at least the one I drove did.

The thing YOU seem to be missing is,,,,,errr,,,actually you don't say what it is you are missing exactly other than the Tesla M3P is a bit like a Dacia Sandero, equipment wise.

But would a Dacia Sandero provide you with the Badge Experience you so obviously admire and covet that BMW seems to give you? I also suspect you wouldn't be happy with the Dacia as the servicing costs would be so insignificant there must surely be something amiss.

Sooo just so I have this right - YOU want a car with a load of things on it that are unnecessary as you feel that gives you more value for money? Then question the price of the car and equipment levels yet don't see the correlation between those equipment levels and the cost of the car?

I might also add in that BMW have OTA updates to give you little add ons that you managed to live without just fine but hey every little extra helps,,,,Half-a-mo it isn't the BMW that does that it's the,,,,TESLA ;)

Some would argue that a Mazda MX-5 has superior driving dynamics to a BMW M3, depends upon what you want 'performance' wise. For instance dragsters are all about 'straight line speed' as you like to put it BUT are pretty useless at carrying that speed through a corner BUT yet they still drive them on track. And yet as I have said before the Tesla has undeniably epic 'straight line speed' but equally can also go round corners just as well as most could ever want, at least the one I drove did.

The thing YOU seem to be missing is,,,,,errr,,,actually you don't say what it is you are missing exactly other than the Tesla M3P is a bit like a Dacia Sandero, equipment wise.

But would a Dacia Sandero provide you with the Badge Experience you so obviously admire and covet that BMW seems to give you? I also suspect you wouldn't be happy with the Dacia as the servicing costs would be so insignificant there must surely be something amiss.

Sooo just so I have this right - YOU want a car with a load of things on it that are unnecessary as you feel that gives you more value for money? Then question the price of the car and equipment levels yet don't see the correlation between those equipment levels and the cost of the car?

I might also add in that BMW have OTA updates to give you little add ons that you managed to live without just fine but hey every little extra helps,,,,Half-a-mo it isn't the BMW that does that it's the,,,,TESLA ;)
Let’s ignore all the sarcy comments and get back to what I was saying: someone else was comparing the BMW M3 to a SR+ and I was pointing out you couldn’t as the beemer was just superior in every way.

Maybe your Tesla fandom has blinded you. Maybe you don’t act as much of an ass hat in real life as you do over a message board but try seeing things objectively and without blinkers. You might sound less nasty then. You need to have a think before you post.

btw I chose the Model 3 performance above its German counterparts because of the tech, the running costs and the chance to own what may be the future of transportation. I’m just pointing out you can’t be blinkered and the BMW M3 has so many features that make it better than the model 3. Your snide, facetious, comments don’t actually stop that being true.

I know it is unfair to deaf mutes but the future is voice control. Who needs buttons?
That only works for the occasional on/off toggling, but wipers often have to be on, off, faster, slower to meet the conditions of the road, as rain is seldom the same for long periods of time.
Of course, a decent auto-wiper would solve that problem too but the Tesla doesn’t quite have that nailed yet either.

Reactions: MrBadger
Good luck making such a bold, general and frankly absurd statement on a Tesla fan forum. Do you not think your attitude might rile some people up?
It’s a fact though. Just because we are a a Tesla forum doesn’t mean we can’t be honest. Surely humility makes the OP “hatred towards EV” less likely. There are many things you can recommend a Tesla for but a BMW M3 is better built, much better equipped and performs better. Thats pretty easy to demonstrate.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Tesla’s and I love what they do but I won’t lie or go over the top about them.