Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there really no way to get NAV (or NAV apps) showing traffic on a standard range plus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talking with the nearest sales office about some inventory cars and the latest obstacle is I'm being told only the long range version of the model 3 has a NAV feature that adjusts for traffic and there's no way to view google maps or waze on the car's screen. Is that correct or bad information? That seems impossible since tesla is a technology company and this is 2019.

Partially correct. SR and SR+ models will still incorporate traffic data when planning your route. What they will not do is show you the red and yellow lines where there are traffic jams. And you will only be viewing the flat maps, not the high resolution satellite map images. Personally I don’t think the red and yellow lines are that helpful, but I do like to look at the satellite images since they are so high resolution on the Model 3 built in screen.

Reactions: Sherlo
Oh, well that's not too big of a deal.

So let's say I'm driving from Wisconsin into Chicago. Waze is displayed on my current car's screen through CarPlay. It gives me the quickest route and then also reroutes me should the traffic situation change (which it frequently does).

The standard NAV will plot the best route given the current traffic situation? Will it also reroute if traffic changes?

Oh, well that's not too big of a deal.

So let's say I'm driving from Wisconsin into Chicago. Waze is displayed on my current car's screen through CarPlay. It gives me the quickest route and then also reroutes me should the traffic situation change (which it frequently does).

The standard NAV will plot the best route given the current traffic situation? Will it also reroute if traffic changes?

Does the standard NAV show time to destination?

It should reroute you if there is a traffic jam although i haven’t personally seen that happen. Maybe others can chime in and say whether they have ever seen a reroute. It will show you your arrival time at the destination address.

for the other part of your question, AFAIK there is currently no way to view waze or google maps mirrored from your phone to the cars screen. There may be some hacked way I am not aware of, but there is no apple carplay, or android auto, etc in a tesla model 3.

I have no issues with it, because I like the nav in the tesla... but I dont have a SR or SR+ to see the difference in what is provided there vs what is provided in my car.

There are other ways you can enhance the SR/SR+ navigation that might interest you. The first is to simply use your phone. The Model 3 has a pretty good place to put your phone, plugged in so you won't run the battery down. You could then run whatever navigation app you like on the phone and listen to its directions. This has the drawback, though, that the map directions wouldn't be nearly as visible as those on Tesla's screen. This likely wouldn't be a big deal if you're traveling in an area you know moderately to very well, but it could be a drawback if you're traveling in areas you don't know well. The Model 3 displays its map constantly (although it can be hidden behind other windows), so you'd be able to see a map pretty easily. You'd need to look down further from the road to see the markings indicating the apps suggested route, though.

There's also a Web site called Tesla Waze, which gives you access to Waze's problem-reporting features and a map display via the Tesla's built-in Web browser. This tool does not provide turn-by-turn directions, so it's more useful as an information source about traffic conditions and road hazards when you're driving in familiar territory than as a guidance tool. Here's a video on its use:

I've never used my phone's navigation apps in my Tesla nor used Tesla Waze, so I can't comment from personal experience how either approach would work. It must be possible to combine these with Tesla's own navigation -- if nothing else, you could enter your destination into both the Tesla's navigation and your phone and decide which route to take when they disagree. In fact, if you wanted to use Navigate on Autopilot but still see what Waze, Google Maps, or whatever has to say, you'd pretty much have to do that, even in a top-trim Tesla.

Reactions: Royal-1
If traffic conditions change substantially the car will reroute you. It's not as good as Waze in this regard, but it's offered new routes for me a few times.

My beef with that is it doesn't effectively warn you when it does that. If I'm not paying attention to the Nav screen, I may just be following the route it plotted when it first calculated. Earlier versions would throw up a pop-up on the screen saying the route had changed, but even that only stayed up for a couple of seconds and could be missed. Wish it would throw a pop-up that you have to dismiss when it changes the route to make it obvious.

Talking with the nearest sales office about some inventory cars and the latest obstacle is I'm being told only the long range version of the model 3 has a NAV feature that adjusts for traffic and there's no way to view google maps or waze on the car's screen. Is that correct or bad information? That seems impossible since tesla is a technology company and this is 2019.
I only found out after buying my short Range Model 3 with auto pilot addition that Traffic is NOT included. I am completely baffled and angered by this. They couldn't even give you a garage door opener. I understand the extra heated seats, and premium upholstery, but the basic technologies omitted!!?? Ugh... They gotta fix this. I have a 46k car with no traffic and a plastic thing to open my garage, Waze is free.. why cannot Tesla accommodate??

There are other ways you can enhance the SR/SR+ navigation that might interest you. The first is to simply use your phone. The Model 3 has a pretty good place to put your phone, plugged in so you won't run the battery down. You could then run whatever navigation app you like on the phone and listen to its directions. This has the drawback, though, that the map directions wouldn't be nearly as visible as those on Tesla's screen. This likely wouldn't be a big deal if you're traveling in an area you know moderately to very well, but it could be a drawback if you're traveling in areas you don't know well. The Model 3 displays its map constantly (although it can be hidden behind other windows), so you'd be able to see a map pretty easily. You'd need to look down further from the road to see the markings indicating the apps suggested route, though.

There's also a Web site called Tesla Waze, which gives you access to Waze's problem-reporting features and a map display via the Tesla's built-in Web browser. This tool does not provide turn-by-turn directions, so it's more useful as an information source about traffic conditions and road hazards when you're driving in familiar territory than as a guidance tool. Here's a video on its use:

I've never used my phone's navigation apps in my Tesla nor used Tesla Waze, so I can't comment from personal experience how either approach would work. It must be possible to combine these with Tesla's own navigation -- if nothing else, you could enter your destination into both the Tesla's navigation and your phone and decide which route to take when they disagree. In fact, if you wanted to use Navigate on Autopilot but still see what Waze, Google Maps, or whatever has to say, you'd pretty much have to do that, even in a top-trim Tesla.
Traffic imbedded into the navigation is really not too much to ask for. Using your phone is cumbersome and absurd when we bought this technological masterpiece. I had a Ford Fusion before this which had more user friendly technology. Don't get me wrong I love my Model 3 but this one thing really puts a thorn in my side. Tesla should at least give us the option to add for a few bucks.

I only found out after buying my short Range Model 3 with auto pilot addition that Traffic is NOT included.

Except, it is. Traffic data is available and used when routing or re-routing. It just isn't displayed as an overlay on the map.

They couldn't even give you a garage door opener.

Yes, to offer a cheaper car they had to leave some things out the more expensive one gets.

They do offer homelink for an added $300 FYI- and will likely offer the more premium connectivity eventually for a fee too.

Reactions: Sherlo
300 for a garage door opener is a bit much. But I am interested if they do offer premium connectivity and what that fee is. It costs 10k more to get those features because it’s roped into all the other upgrades.
But it’s $300 for an integrated gps aware garage door opener that won’t enable a thief to open you garage door if they break a window. Yes, I’m bitter that the built in opener works in my Acura when the car is off...

Reactions: Bill Foster
There's also a Web site called Tesla Waze, which gives you access to Waze's problem-reporting features and a map display via the Tesla's built-in Web browser. This tool does not provide turn-by-turn directions, so it's more useful as an information source about traffic conditions and road hazards when you're driving in familiar territory than as a guidance tool.

Although this doesn't address the OP's question, since the web browser is also not enabled in the Partial Premium Interior that comes with the SR+.

I only found out after buying my short Range Model 3 with auto pilot addition that Traffic is NOT included. I am completely baffled and angered by this. They couldn't even give you a garage door opener. I understand the extra heated seats, and premium upholstery, but the basic technologies omitted!!?? Ugh... They gotta fix this. I have a 46k car with no traffic and a plastic thing to open my garage, Waze is free.. why cannot Tesla accommodate??

Traffic is included for routing guidance. Just not shown to you visually.

Traffic is included for routing guidance. Just not shown to you visually.
The same thing has happened to me. Salesperson actually demonstrated this feature along with satellite view, web access, full auto pilot, and lead me to believe there was a much more robust phone integration for browsing/selecting music. Never ONCE did he tell me that these features were not going to be available in the car I ordered. Furthermore, he specifically called out that the full auto pilot WAS included unlike previous version! I can't even believe he didn't try to upsell me because frankly, it probably would have worked.

Auto-pilot aside -- The navigation is powered by Google Maps. this is BASIC functionality that comes with the FREE google maps app that they are suppressing for literally no reason. I don't care that the route timing calculation is correct. I'm also thoroughly underwhelmed with the lack of customer service response I've gotten from all their supposed communication channels. Took me 3 weeks to get a response to an email inquiry. And they sit in the Luxury Vehicle category??? BMW, which I switched from for this vehicle, wouldn't stand for such poor customer service.

I also have a 40K car with a huge iPad in the middle yet I have to supplement it with my iPhone interact with / look at that screen below just to see traffic congestion and select music? Such a poor user experience. And its not that they CAN'T accommodate it's that they WON'T. Its a simple software push that could easily be remedied.

I leased this as a tester to see if I might purchase a Model S for my wife. Definitely not doing that on principle now.