Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good deal on a 2016 Model S 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the details:

2016 Model S 90D (Facelift) - $89,500
Black Exterior, Black Next-Gen Seats - $2,500
Panoramic Sun Roof - $1,500
21" Grey Turbine Wheels - $4,500
Autopilot 1.0 - $2,500
Premium Interior Package - $3,000
Ultra High Fidelity Sound - $2,500
Subzero Weather Package - $1,000

Total Invoice Price - $107,000

Miles - 14,500
Private Seller
Clean Title
3.5 years left on warranty
Price - $83,000

It's a little excessive for what I need. I only drive about 150 miles/week. I live in the Midwest too so I would need to switch the wheels out for some 19" all-seasons. Only planning on holding on to the car for 2-3 years and then probably moving to an SUV (hopefully a non-Falcon winged X) to better accommodate our family.

Forgot to mention:

The upfront price isn't my main concern. My biggest concern is how well it will maintain value for 3 years, since that is how long I'm looking to keep the car. Do you guys think this car will hold its value relatively well compared to the other options available today? I read that new Model S cars depreciate pretty quickly the first year or two, so I've been mainly target the CPO and used market.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention:

The upfront price isn't my main concern. My biggest concern is how well it will maintain value for 3 years, since that is how long I'm looking to keep the car. Do you guys think this car will hold its value relatively well compared to the other options available today? I read that new Model S cars depreciate pretty quickly the first year or two, so I've been mainly target the CPO and used market.

Thanks!

Honestly, it's a crap shoot; it's a new market. I certainly wouldn't assume that they would hold value better than other "luxury" cars in the same price range.

Your CPo is wrong and needs to take a closer look. Free supercharging goes with the vin
I will ask Sean in WPB again but I put my deposit in just for that reason on and 85D. if it changed we may move to a P85D, but not sure i can move the deposit to new car may lose that 1k. Sean moved it once for me in the 72hr window.

So if true that would be good news just not what was told or positioned on CPO cars based on 2 different CPO managers.

Last edited:
All cars at these levels depreciates heavily in the first few years... It's not unique to Tesla or due to Tesla innovation... If you had bought a new gen BMW 7 series when it first came out for 100k, I doubt you ll get 65k if you trade it in today... And if you look at older 7 series... the 13's are going in the 40's CPO, so trade-in is likely 35k... So ya, it's not a unique Tesla issue.

Basically if you buy a 100k luxury/sport sedan, expect to pay 60k in depreciation in 4 years.

This car is a good deal; you would basically save 20k already in depreciation because it's been owned for 0.5 years. So this means you ll only probably take 40-50k in the next 3.5 years. Great stuff.

Reactions: Indpowr
All cars at these levels depreciates heavily in the first few years... It's not unique to Tesla or due to Tesla innovation... If you had bought a new gen BMW 7 series when it first came out for 100k, I doubt you ll get 65k if you trade it in today... And if you look at older 7 series... the 13's are going in the 40's CPO, so trade-in is likely 35k... So ya, it's not a unique Tesla issue.

Basically if you buy a 100k luxury/sport sedan, expect to pay 60k in depreciation in 4 years.

This car is a good deal; you would basically save 20k already in depreciation because it's been owned for 0.5 years. So this means you ll only probably take 40-50k in the next 3.5 years. Great stuff.

Thank you for your perspective. If I can sell this car for around $50k in 3 years, I would be happy. I don't drive much, so I would probably still be around 40,000 miles by that point.