Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to ask you guys and gals for a little help. I've been scouring ev-cpo for about 3 months now for a specific Model S and I can not find anything close to what I was looking for. There were a couple I saw, but when I looked closely at the options, they were missing a few "must have" items (i.e. carbon fiber spoiler, glass roof, no heated steering wheel). So I turned to autotrader, I really wanted to buy from Tesla but I'm starting to run short on time and I don't want to settle on something that doesn't have everything I want. I found one car that has everything I'm looking for, it's a 2018 Model S P100DL in Midnight Silver Metallic and black interior. Original owner took delivery of the car on February 13th of 2019 and drove it a little over 4K miles before trading it in for a Porsche. I had the dealer send me over the original buyers sheet and everything looks to check out. Only issue is the dealership seems to be really hung up on the fact that the originally owner paid almost $145K when they originally purchased the car. Granted the dealership is selling the car for $99k but considering a brand new Model S spec'd the same way would only cost about $110K, it seems like it would almost be better to pony up the extra cash and just buy a new one. Not sure what to do...any suggestions?

Attachments

• scan.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 74
Wanted to ask you guys and gals for a little help. I've been scouring ev-cpo for about 3 months now for a specific Model S and I can not find anything close to what I was looking for. There were a couple I saw, but when I looked closely at the options, they were missing a few "must have" items (i.e. carbon fiber spoiler, glass roof, no heated steering wheel). So I turned to autotrader, I really wanted to buy from Tesla but I'm starting to run short on time and I don't want to settle on something that doesn't have everything I want. I found one car that has everything I'm looking for, it's a 2018 Model S P100DL in Midnight Silver Metallic and black interior. Original owner took delivery of the car on February 13th of 2019 and drove it a little over 4K miles before trading it in for a Porsche. I had the dealer send me over the original buyers sheet and everything looks to check out. Only issue is the dealership seems to be really hung up on the fact that the originally owner paid almost $145K when they originally purchased the car. Granted the dealership is selling the car for $99k but considering a brand new Model S spec'd the same way would only cost about $110K, it seems like it would almost be better to pony up the extra cash and just buy a new one. Not sure what to do...any suggestions?
Buy new.

Thanks for your support!

If you find a car without a carbon fiber spoiler, they are available third-party for $150 and are exact matches for the OEM spoiler. PM me if you would like more details (I have on installed on my car).

But I agree, I'd suggest buying new. You'd also get $1,875 tax credit on a new car.

Good luck!

Reactions: Zishan
Thanks to all of you for chiming in. @Lhshockey24 I actually just called my local Tesla Sales Consultant yesterday and he informed me of the exact same incentive plan I believe you're referring to. Apparently they're trying to decrease inventory so much that they will essentially give you up to 7500 dollars off of a new inventory car if you're willing to accept it "as is" in lieu of your custom ordered car. Or, they will the will cover up to 7500 dollars of the cost to make an inventory car closer to what you're looking for. That made buy a new one a lot more palatable. So I custom made a brand new Model S that I knew was not in the inventory anywhere (thanks to ev-cpo) and so far everything is working out perfect. Thanks again for all of your insight.

Unless that car gets quite a bit cheaper, I’ll add my voice to those suggesting you buy new. The current Raven is quicker, not much but a little, the suspension is said to be quite improved, and I think it charges quicker, not sure about this last charging bit, though. It uses a different motor with less passive motion consumption so range improves a little.

There is the tax incentive, longer warranty, quicker, better suspension, and free supercharging for as long as you own it. All that adds up to a substantial incentive for a new Raven car. And you can order exactly what you want.

It is unfortunate for the 2018 has dropped so much in value but that is irrelevant to you so plays no part in the decision. The dealer is trying to get you to consider that as relevant but it isn’t. Besides if the dealer is selling for $99K, you can bet he has less than that in it.

If the extra $10k is doable, you’ll likely recover a lot of that later on sale. The SP100 is nice but the Raven is the significantly more desirable car. The free supercharging is nice but the actual value is less than most people think, so isn’t that big an issue.

Now there’s talk of a plaid model. It’s a year or so away but yours will be eclipsed when that one comes out. I would not opt for FSD unless you can get it added free. There isn’t much value in it thus far. If you haven’t considered an X, I’d encourage you to look at one before buying. I never considered the X but a friend bought one, I should have looked at them. I’d still get my S, but it would have been an option, and I dismissed it without really looking. I should not have done that. The X is nice.

So the deal is officially done! I'm not even sure how the Gallery Manger pulled everything together but I almost feel like I owe him something. Somehow he found a "Demo" car that was exactly what I was looking for and not even listed on ev-cpo for some reason. It's a fully loaded 2019 Model S P100D so it's still considered new and I got it for 72K after about 9500 bucks worth of incentives! Mind you, it doesn't have the Raven motors or suspension but it has every currently available option plus $0 upgrade to FSD, unlimited supercharging, It'll still qualify for the federal tax incentive, and they upgraded the wheels to the 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels. Once everything is said and done, this car will have cost me almost 40K than customizing one.

I would've loved to have gotten a Raven car but considering I started this whole journey only looking to get a car that matched the P90D I bought for my daughter, I am quite happy with the results. Hopefully at this rate if I ever trade it in, I'll at least maybe break even?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_44af.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_44af.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: axhoaxho
So this was probably the one thing that irritated me throughout this whole ordeal. I've spent hours and days on ev-cpo both searching for and just looking for the cars that I liked to no avail. So when I was sent this car I thought that there must've been something wrong with ev-cpo and maybe it wasn't scanning Tesla's site correctly. But then I thought to check Tesla's own website and I could not find the car there either. That's when I realized that Tesla must keep certain cars on a private website that you cannot find unless you have a direct link. Not the most transparent business module but I guess they do it for their own reasons.

So this was probably the one thing that irritated me throughout this whole ordeal. I've spent hours and days on ev-cpo both searching for and just looking for the cars that I liked to no avail. So when I was sent this car I thought that there must've been something wrong with ev-cpo and maybe it wasn't scanning Tesla's site correctly. But then I thought to check Tesla's own website and I could not find the car there either. That's when I realized that Tesla must keep certain cars on a private website that you cannot find unless you have a direct link. Not the most transparent business module but I guess they do it for their own reasons.

Agreed, it's not the most transparent business model, and I have no idea why they don't list all of their cars for sale online. Nobody is more frustrated in that them me!! This is why I always suggest to people that they use EV-CPO.com to learn about all the options and cars that are available (and the right questions to ask), but also develop a relationship with a local sales advisor who might have access to the cars listed internally. Why they do this is anyone's guess. You'd think to get the widest exposure to sell as many cars as possible they would put them all online. But alas that's not the "Tesla Way"