Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal to hear? (A/C Related)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bebop

Jun 25, 2017
Midwest
I stepped out of my car while the A/C was turned on and was hearing this high pitched sound in the video. Didn't seem normal to me. But with a Tesla car you never know (maybe it is normal), which is why I wanted to ask others here.

Hi,
You can check if the vents flap (don’t know how to name those) next to the fog lamps are open.
Just saying as in my case, they don’t open and it is actually an issue.
I learned about it while on the line with road assistance for charging issues.
Once that charging issue was fixed, the support proposed to check the logs for other alerts.
He found some related to the thermal thing and shutter gizmo. As I told him I indeed also found that the cooling fans ran high lately and I did not see those flaps open anymore, he concluded the thermal system need recalibration. So might be worth a call to road assistance. Great support

I had the same thing which seemed to show up just recently. I went to SC and a tech came out and listened to it. He said they did a software update that kicked the fans up higher. He said it was normal and the Model X was even louder. Not sure if that’s true but that’s what they said.

I had EXACTLY the same problem. SC fixed it and the issue is gone. NOW IT'S BACK TO SUPER QUIET:

Concern: Customer is experiencing a high pitched noise when using the A/C all the time.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Module - Condenser Fan Control - LH
Verified customer concern. Diagnostic testing indicated that the left front condensor fan
was not operating as designed. Replaced left front condensor fan. Function tested AC
system and verified noise is no longer present. Customer to monitor.

Part Quantity
GAS COOL CONDENSER FAN MODULE