Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this safe to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I accidentally hit and jumped the curb, damaging my right front wheel (first pic) and back wheel (last pic), as well as the front aero shield.

Tesla quoted a total of $1850 for replacing two wheels (rims + tires) and the front aero shield. In my opinion, the back tire is safe to drive.

What do you guys think? Where can I get a wheel from outside? It is safe to drive without changing the wheel as my car is only driven 11k miles.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 14.31.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 14.31.14 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 14.31.14 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 14.31.14.jpeg

Hello all,

I accidentally hit and jumped the curb, damaging my right front wheel (first pic) and back wheel (last pic), as well as the front aero shield.

Tesla quoted a total of $1850 for replacing two wheels (rims + tires) and the front aero shield. In my opinion, the back tire is safe to drive.

What do you guys think? Where can I get a wheel from outside? It is safe to drive without changing the wheel as my car is only driven 11k miles.

View attachment 1049256View attachment 1049257View attachment 1049258View attachment 1049259
Agree, the front wheel is not safe for driving. The rear wheel needs to be replaced. If your thinking about custom wheels, now is the time.

I not an expert on the underside, I’ll let others comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dantley
Front wheel well lets just say nothing the picture is worth a thousand words, rear needs to be check for warp-age and repaired if possible, it is NOT safe to use as is.
Underbelly needs to be replaced for aero drag and also as to not get any debris in, if you are in a area or drive in snowy conditions you will get salt spray all over the underbelly that is normally protected.

I would have all suspension checked and also get a four wheel alignment.

Good thing is the tires do look salvageable, I don't see any bulging, but you need to keep a eye on them.

Hello all,

View attachment 1049256View attachment 1049257View attachment 1049258View attachment 1049259
Hell no.

Rear tyre bead was smooshed into the rim to do that damage. Chuck it away with a big hole drilled through the side so nobody recycles it.

And look where you are going!

I'm assuming no suspension damage since Tesla would have noted that...? You have lot of answers on the wheels; tbh, I'd also get 2 new tires. No telling what internal damage was done. You can look on eBay or Facebook Marketplace for wheels - plenty of people selling them as they replace with aftermarket ones.