Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this supercharging rate normal for 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never really noticed or cared about the supercharging rate until I started planning for a trip that requires me to take a ferry hence timing is really important. So I started looking at how fast I charge and did some research on the forum and to me at least it looks extremely low for an 85. Hence I wanted your opinion. So here are some stats.
A) the KW starts dropping immediately right after the first percentage point of charge regardless if I’m above or below 50%
B) The sum of KW+SoC is around the 100s always
C) an example of a recent charge is
At 37% I’m at 60kw
at 56% (20 minutes later) I’m at 46kw
At 65% (10 minutes later) I’m at 40kw and this goes on and on.

D) to charge from 10 to 80% it takes me around an hour (haven’t timed it yet but I will and let you know once I do)

So based on the above do you believe this is normal ?
And if so shall I trust ABRP in terms of timing or even the on board navigation (its a 15 hour drive hence quite a lot of supercharging stops)

Last edited:
A few data points from my 85 with 76,000 miles.

-Max kw is now mid 120's, was about 118 before recent improvements.

-I usually drop below 100kw at 80 miles of range or about 30%.

Your numbers do seem low. Were you sharing a stall...such as 2A when another person was charging at 2B? Have you tried multiple sites and/or pedastals? Some are functional but give limited power for some reason.

I noticed almost the exact same numbers recently on my 85D. I don’t supercharge a lot so I was not sure if it was the charger, heat, or a permanent loss based on the recent software update. I have a fairly long trip planned in late September that will probably tell the tale.

A few data points from my 85 with 76,000 miles.

-Max kw is now mid 120's, was about 118 before recent improvements.

-I usually drop below 100kw at 80 miles of range or about 30%.

Your numbers do seem low. Were you sharing a stall...such as 2A when another person was charging at 2B? Have you tried multiple sites and/or pedastals? Some are functional but give limited power for some reason.

In response to myself......what I said above is not what I am now experiencing with my '14 S 85. Instead of dropping below 100kw at 80 miles, I am not ever going above 100kw. I have not had the chance to make detailed observations, but I am tapering down to 38-40kw pretty fast.

If you're taking a leisurely road trip it's fine, but there is definitely some meaningful time difference if you're trying for a long day. The taper is getting so bad that I may need to slow dow in areas with 80mph speed limit, so I don't consume faster than I can replace.

Meanwhile, the Mercedes EQC tapers only to 17kW at 100% SOC. That blows Tesla out of the water and results in a much faster overall charging time. Mercedes designed this vehicle with customer perception and convenience in mind. Mercedes, Audi, et al., have a top-end buffer that Teslas lack. This allows for the vehicles to charge faster to full and will significantly reduce degradation over time. Their customers will end up being much, much happier with the ownership experience.

Seeing very similar numbers on my new to me 2016 70D (preface model). I've read some conjecture that they've been slowing down supercharging on older models. Which sucks, especially since I need to charge a bit higher to squeeze out some extra range having only a 70D

I agree with David99, my car batteries were built in 2012. Since the last several sw updates my charge rates have decreased. I have charged over 700 times all over the USA, I have kept a very good log book. I also have pictures . I used to see 120, 118, now I see 60 to 80kw. Takes twice as long. Temp and SOC due impact it. I make the run to DC every few months, 5 stops, now takes 2 hours longer.
I got a new motor in March, since then I've noticed it uses a lot more charge. New challenge. Here is my battery report today. As u can see the degradation has really dropped lately, since all of the sw updates.

Attachments

• 20190903_141605.jpg
    20190903_141605.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 99
I agree with David99, my car batteries were built in 2012. Since the last several sw updates my charge rates have decreased. I have charged over 700 times all over the USA, I have kept a very good log book. I also have pictures . I used to see 120, 118, now I see 60 to 80kw. Takes twice as long. Temp and SOC due impact it. I make the run to DC every few months, 5 stops, now takes 2 hours longer.
I got a new motor in March, since then I've noticed it uses a lot more charge. New challenge. Here is my battery report today. As u can see the degradation has really dropped lately, since all of the sw updates.

Not bad actually for 7 year old batteries. I have 3 year old batteries and have a greater parentage of loss then you. 15% at last count.