Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is uncorking 75D unfair to 90/100D owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a software / DevOps perspective, regular OTA is not a controlled environment . Not all updates can be downloaded and installed offline . Some may need to communicate with Tesla systems during the update process . An update process done OTA happens in a wide range of user circumstances . A service center presents them a controlled environment; they could do it OTA there if the software permits , but it’s still controlled and assures a clean install .

Reactions: Xtek
From a software / DevOps perspective, regular OTA is not a controlled environment . Not all updates can be downloaded and installed offline . Some may need to communicate with Tesla systems during the update process . An update process done OTA happens in a wide range of user circumstances . A service center presents them a controlled environment; they could do it OTA there if the software permits , but it’s still controlled and assures a clean install .

If it's really just a config change I'm surprised they are so unwilling to do it OTA. Seems like firmware updates are much more risky than config changes.

Last edited:
I don’t claim to know why Tesla wants to do it in shop (even if they actually do it OTA there). I just stated that there are straightforward technical reasons why they would want to do so, if it was the reason . Not all software is made to be propagated OTA, and it takes effort to add all the necessary failsafes for OTA updates.

From my perspective, this is a hugely welcome surprise gift for someone whose car is over a year old . And it’s free . And so if Tesla deems it needs to be done hands on, so be it . Even if their actual reason is ‘just because’.

I don’t claim to know why Tesla wants to do it in shop (even if they actually do it OTA there). I just stated that there are straightforward technical reasons why they would want to do so, if it was the reason . Not all software is made to be propagated OTA, and it takes effort to add all the necessary failsafes for OTA updates.

From my perspective, this is a hugely welcome surprise gift for someone whose car is over a year old . And it’s free . And so if Tesla deems it needs to be done hands on, so be it . Even if their actual reason is ‘just because’.

Oh I know, I was just positing knowing that it's possible and knowing that it's just a config change I wonder why they're so unwilling to do it.

But back on topic... I doesn't bother me. I didn't buy my 100D so that I'd have a "better" car than the 75Ds. So unless they magically add range to the 75D I don't see why I would be upset. If it ultimately helps Tesla and it's customers... good for them!

• Funny
Reactions: Mygr8
Yes, a substantial range upgrade unlocked over the air for free would indeed be unfair to those who paid for the higher range versions . And it would kill their higher trim sales . I thought the reduced 60 to 75 upgrade premium was unfair since I bought it as a 75.

Acceleration on the other hand... it’s not like the 75D in its current form is a slug while hauling 4 adults plus baby plus trunk and frunk luggage up to Tahoe, as I have .

I just wish that my April 2016 75D can be uncorked! I do feel cheated somewhat that it can't, but at the same time, who am I trying to impress with the extra second acceleration? Other Tesla owners? Any non Tesla person is still blown away with the current acceleration.

General rule for anyone buying a Tesla. Any Tesla, ever.

"Accept that things may change, without notice, at any point in the future, and only make the purchase if you're happy with what *you* get, based on its specs at the time you make the purchase."

Your car may get better. It may not. Someone else's may get better and not yours. Something that was an extra you paid for might get made standard literally a day after you make your purchase. This can, does, and will continue to happen, and it's just the way it is; Tesla's combination of rapid evolution as a company, constant learning and responding to new information, and over-the-air updates makes it so. If you're not comfortable with this, Tesla is not for you.

As an aside, IMHO, Tesla should offer a "void my warranty" uncork. Lots of the limitations in the vehicles are designed to preserve powertrain longevity. If someone wants more power and is willing to voluntarily void their warranty to do so... hey, why not? ;)

As an aside, IMHO, Tesla should offer a "void my warranty" uncork. Lots of the limitations in the vehicles are designed to preserve powertrain longevity. If someone wants more power and is willing to voluntarily void their warranty to do so... hey, why not? ;)
The hard thing about this would be keeping track of those cars at resale. They'd need a way to flag them so that downstream purchasers don't get duped.

The hard thing about this would be keeping track of those cars at resale. They'd need a way to flag them so that downstream purchasers don't get duped.
afaik, no one's keeping track of those Tesla's that do tons of supercharging, so that it's max wattage is throttled down - nor the ludicrous power limit number ... (maybe the ludicrous power limitation decision was reversed?)

Ok so? None of your post addresses ohmmans post .... which said nothing about a subsequent owner's warranty. Just subsequent owners knowledge of vehicle history. But to address your tangent anyway - the thing is, you don't necessarily get a warranty when you buy a 3,4,or 5+yr used car from AutoTrader, eBay, your local car lot Etc. And not everyone buying used buys a "certified" w/warranty type used car. whether it's a Tesla abused - or a 1970 pickup that's abused, it's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get - so you do the most due diligence that you can.
:)

If anyone in the south Florida area has a 75D with the software performance update drag Times would love to test it to see if they can beat the 4.2 seconds claimed by Tesla. They have a track record of beating Tesla’s 0-60 Times in the real world. I’ve spoken with them and they suggested a post on here to get a 75D in their hands. Message me and I’ll put you in touch. Would be awesome for them to test.