Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is uncorking 75D unfair to 90/100D owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all love it when Tesla unlock new features and performance in our cars but how does the "uncorcking" of the 75D sit with the 90D/100D owners given that it is such a massive improvement in acceleration.

I can imagine quite a few owners will have talked themselves out of $$$ for the 90/100D when buying their Tesla and parted with the extra bunch of cash for the performance as much as if not more than for the range.

Now seeing the 75D very much in the same performance bracket as the 90/100D must be a bit painful for some of these owners.

I was fortunate enough to land a P100D but had I not done so I might very well have been in this category hence the thread.

Reactions: OBX John
IMG_2371.PNG

With this new performance enhancing technology Tesla may be able to improve the performance in other battery configurations as well. Instead of being jealous of the 75's getting additional power, they might be anxiously awaiting their turn as Tesla improves their capabilities.

The first power enhancement came when Tesla discovered a way to make the new production 75's faster. Then, months later, they discovered a way to increase the performance of existing customers cars.

They currently need the owners to bring their cars to a service center to do the upgrades, but maybe in the future it may be available OTA.

Good news with announcements like this will raise the value of the entire Tesla lineup. I remember how some owners got very upset when Tesla removed some of the power from the cars of owners that were constantly using full power. Idea was that the company was protecting owners from potential component failure, but the owners went ballistic when they could not use all the power they once had.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. OTA updates are constantly being sent out to their fleet. Biggest issue, there as well, is some owners getting jealous when someone else gets the update before them.

is that so? at this point in time the raising value is not for the 90 100 owners, why pay for up when you can save significant money by just getting the enhanced 75.
Increasing value of 75's helps a 90/100 value as well. Think about it the other way, if used 75's were available cheap for $25K, what do you think a used 90/100 would fetch? No way people will pay $50K for a used 90 if they could get a used 75 for $25K.

What people who complain about this, besides the entitlement argument "they got something for free, therefore so should I", is the fact that the difference in value between the 75 and 90/100 is diminished. That is a correct, however an incomplete assessment. The key here is that the 75 value is higher and therefore the 90/100 values, though smaller increase from 75 than before, end up overall higher too. New model 3 starts at $27.5K after rebate, so people will look at "what am I getting by buying a used Model S for more money" - if it's a bunch of stuff but slower, that kind of kills the value proposition for a large portion of Tesla buyers who tend to love performance.

Personally I think this is exactly why Tesla did this, to raise, or preserve the values of all Model S/X. How? By differentiating most Model S from the Model 3 so that buyers will see a reason why it's worth while paying more the a used Model S than a new Model 3. They enabled it retroactively on older 75's because in the world of used cars prices are based on the average sale price of a particular model, so if most 75's would be slower than Model 3, all 75 values (and 90/100 along with it) would suffer.

So yes, ALL model S resale value benefit from this, even if the 75D's benefit more, it still doesn't take away from the fact the the others benefited too. It's as if Tesla said "we'll give $5,000 cash to all 75D owners, and $3,000 to all 90/100 owners" and the 90/100 owners come out screaming how unfair it is, even though it's free money to begin with.

With this new performance enhancing technology Tesla may be able to improve the performance in other battery configurations as well. Instead of being jealous of the 75's getting additional power, they might be anxiously awaiting their turn as Tesla improves their capabilities.

The first power enhancement came when Tesla discovered a way to make the new production 75's faster. Then, months later, they discovered a way to increase the performance of existing customers cars.

They currently need the owners to bring their cars to a service center to do the upgrades, but maybe in the future it may be available OTA.

Good news with announcements like this will raise the value of the entire Tesla lineup. I remember how some owners got very upset when Tesla removed some of the power from the cars of owners that were constantly using full power. Idea was that the company was protecting owners from potential component failure, but the owners went ballistic when they could not use all the power they once had.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. OTA updates are constantly being sent out to their fleet. Biggest issue, there as well, is some owners getting jealous when someone else gets the update before them.

haha discovered? They discovered months later that old 75s can be uncorked?

No it was all planned. 75s were already limited. They have just uncorked it. If you ever driven a 75, you could easily tell that the acceleration curve was artificial.

No matter how you slice it, P85 owners lose. I do feel for them as they helped Tesla when Tesla needed them most and now their performance car is being eclipsed by a newer far cheaper car. In no way is that like getting handed anything but a bill instead of cash.
P85's started in 2012 so some are 5 years old. They've been depreciating for a while now, both with age and with all of Tesla's improvements. 75 uncorking older (up to 1 year old) vehicles for free doesn't really affect the P85's much at all, but there will always be people who are looking for something or someone to blame - cars depreciate and that's just a fact. P85's in fact are selling at or above what their residual value calculations were (after 3 years, 50% base + 40% options - overmileage) which were available at the time of purchase. Actually, by increasing the price of a used 75, that could make the P85 a more attractive buy (not the crazy prices some owners want of course, but appropriately priced car). P85's on Tesla CPO sell at $60K+ and they didn't cost more than $120K to start, especially after the federal incentive.

Reactions: ohmman
P85's started in 2012 so some are 5 years old. They've been depreciating for a while now, both with age and with all of Tesla's improvements. 75 uncorking older (up to 1 year old) vehicles for free doesn't really affect the P85's much at all, but there will always be people who are looking for something or someone to blame - cars depreciate and that's just a fact. P85's in fact are selling at or above what their residual value calculations were (after 3 years, 50% base + 40% options - overmileage) which were available at the time of purchase. Actually, by increasing the price of a used 75, that could make the P85 a more attractive buy (not the crazy prices some owners want of course, but appropriately priced car). P85's on Tesla CPO sell at $60K+ and they didn't cost more than $120K to start, especially after the federal incentive.
It does hurt S75 RWD owners if they are unable to get an update and are significantly slower than S75D cars.

It does hurt S75 RWD owners if they are unable to get an update and are significantly slower than S75D cars.
Arguably yes, but only when comparing to the new 75's which got the performance increase. HOWEVER, those are very, very few as the 75 RWD was only offered for a very short time. On the other hand, you can argue since that by discontinuing the 75rwd tesla fixed the supply of them to only what was produced to date, therefore potentially increased their value. Now the base new model is $5K more, so there is even more savings by going with a user S75. Also, by making used S75D's higher resale value, that makes it less likely for someone planning on an S75 to stretch to S75D.

Just to point out something, the 100Ds are faster than what Tesla is saying they are. Tesla says it's a 0.1 second 0-60 time difference between the 75D and 100D, but when you look at the data (see thread below), it's more like a 1/3 of a second 0-60 improvement:

Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Also, you can tell the current 100Ds are being held back until around 30 mph when they really start to pull. Also, when going 40 and flooring it, the 100D definitely pulls harder than an uncorked 75D. So I think there's still a performance benefit for the 100D along with the range. Now if they uncork the 100D and give it a 3.3 second 0-60, then I definitely don't think anyone will be complaining about the speed of the uncorked 75D (except now the P100D people might start complaining...).

Reactions: Bebop
Just to point out something, the 100Ds are faster than what Tesla is saying they are. Tesla says it's a 0.1 second 0-60 time difference between the 75D and 100D, but when you look at the data (see thread below), it's more like a 1/3 of a second 0-60 improvement:

Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Also, you can tell the current 100Ds are being held back until around 30 mph when they really start to pull. Also, when going 40 and flooring it, the 100D definitely pulls harder than an uncorked 75D. So I think there's still a performance benefit for the 100D along with the range. Now if they uncork the 100D and give it a 3.3 second 0-60, then I definitely don't think anyone will be complaining about the speed of the uncorked 75D (except now the P100D people might start complaining...).
P100D already got their ludicrous+ a while back, right?

Reactions: Bebop
I won't have your hopes up.

I think Tesla artificially limited the speed of 75D to differentiate the 90/100D. There may not be much more on the 90/100D to push with out hardware upgrade as they would have made it faster since there is still a large gap between the 90/100D to the P.

Now that the model 3 is out, they need to differentiate the 3 and the 75D or they will not sell very many of the 75D which is more expensive and have higher margin. Sure this will make them loose some 100D sales, but the number of people who will forgo the 100D to buy a 75D is likely fewer than the people who will buy a model 3 instead of the 75D due to the larger price delta and overall lower price range.

Actually this makes me super excited as a 90D owner.

If it’s possible to uncork old 75Ds then it is possible to further improve performance of the 90/100D cars no doubt.

I think Insane Mode will make a comeback...:cool:
I

Reactions: smac