Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is uncorking 75D unfair to 90/100D owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the primary reason the epa drops the 90d Model X range from 300, down to 262.7 on the p90d - wouldn't it be logical that the 75D uncorking would require a different EPA value?
From ~238 miles down to ..... what - maybe 220 miles?

IMO, I only think it is unfair to future 75D buyers. They will have to go to Tesla to find out if a 2017 car they are thinking of buying has been (or can be) uncorked.

For me, if I had the choice between the 90D I collected in March or an uncorked 75D (with 85 battery), then the 75D would have got the sale, saving me a few $$ in the process. But I didn't have that choice and am happy with the 90D so.. whatever :)

Any 75d produced after July 1st already is uncorked from the factory. Uncorking is now officially available for pre July 1st cars... which is why we are so excited.

I don't think it is unfair. I only care about what I get for what I pay; not what others get.

That said, the huge price premium (currently $19,500) of the S100D over the S75D was originally (prior to July 1) mitigated (justified?) by the extra acceleration performance that premium purchased. It is a ridiculous premium because the same 25 kWh increase used to cost only $10,000 (60 -> 85), and is now only $9,000 for the Model 3. The extra 0-60 performance used to help soften the blow of that painful cost premium, but that is no longer the case. So I find myself wanting/needing the range of the S100D, but paralyzed by an inability to commit now because that $19,500 isn't getting me enough to justify its largess.

Last edited:
Go take a look at the Upgraded Performance Metrics thread, I have my 100D run logs in there. New DU00 100D's have the P1 configuration from factory (I have verified in the API), meaning uncorked. I have clocked 3.5-3.7s to 60, with about 430kW peak. That's 576 hp! All data and logs are documented, but we need more data from anyone with a new 100D.

• Informative
Reactions: Proxlamus and EinSV
Go take a look at the Upgraded Performance Metrics thread, I have my 100D run logs in there. New DU00 100D's have the P1 configuration from factory (I have verified in the API), meaning uncorked. I have clocked 3.5-3.7s to 60, with about 430kW peak. That's 576 hp! All data and logs are documented, but we need more data from anyone with a new 100D.
I'll believe it better when it has a wider sampling of the S100D. One example that behaves differently from the spec is not something to hang my hat on.

Are you sure it can be done over the air?

AFAIK if like the 75 uncorking
it can't be done OTA

I called Tesla and they said it requires to be done at the SC.

Yes, it can be done OTA but their policy is not to. I can confirm it can be done OTA and without a firmware update. Go check the performance metrics thread I have before and after data there. :)

Regarding Tesla stating you need to be in an SC. Remember when they were saying that 75Ds couldn't be uncorked...

EDIT: Link to thread Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Note that my uncorked run was at a lower SoC. I have some 4.8s runs I need to send to Krash.

Considering the primary reason the epa drops the 90d Model X range from 300, down to 262.7 on the p90d - wouldn't it be logical that the 75D uncorking would require a different EPA value?
From ~238 miles down to ..... what - maybe 220 miles?
That primary reason the rater range drops for P cars is the performance motor on the rear axle, which is bigger and less efficient but produces more power and more torque. It is an older generation motor too, as it never got a refresh. A corked or uncorked 75 still has the smaller, newer motor. Changing the perf curve may affect the EPA test somewhat, but not as much as a P.

Yes, it can be done OTA but their policy is not to. I can confirm it can be done OTA and without a firmware update. Go check the performance metrics thread I have before and after data there. :)
ok let's say that your assertion that it can be upgraded OTA is correct, the fact that they refuse to do it OTA effectively means that it won't get done OTA.
have you ever heard of the golden rule?