Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Yoke Steering Wheel legal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Saw this online today.

"Road & Track reached out to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find out whether Tesla's half-a-steering-wheel is actually legal in the U.S. Judging by the statement we received from NHTSA, nobody really knows. "At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards," the agency told R&T. "We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information.""

The United States Government/NHSTA is old school. They're most likely going to determine that the steering wheel in Model S, Model X, CyberTruck and Roadster is illegal. It's going to take a while before US regulations adapt.

I hope the US regulations follow what is safe and don't bend over backwards to allow crazy designs from manufacturers. If they determine the yoke steering wheel and automatic gear selection is safe, then go ahead. But Tesla shouldn't just get a pass on this without a thorough safety review.

It appears that under federal regulations it lives in a gray area. However individual states may have more stringent regulations. For example Washington specifically requires a "continuous rim steering wheel" so the yoke would appear to be not allowed. It also regulates the number of turns lock-to-lock (min 2, max 6) so some extreme variable-ratio steering would also not work.

WAC 204-10-034
Steering.

A motor vehicle must be equipped with a continuous rim steering wheel meeting the requirements set forth under RCW 46.37.375, and this chapter. The steering must:
(1) Include a steering wheel which must:
(a) Have an outside diameter of not less than twelve inches.
(b) Not move less than two turns nor more than six turns.
(c) Remain unobstructed when turning from stop-to-stop.
(d) Have a box mount securely welded or bolted to the vehicle frame or other suitable location as originally installed by a recognized manufacturer.
(e) Have a distinct tendency for the vehicle to increase its turning radius when the steering wheel is released while the vehicle is in a sharp turn at a speed of between 5 and 15 mph.
Note:
Stability tests must be performed on a dry, level concrete or asphalt road having no loose surface contaminant, and the vehicle's tires must be inflated to the recommended pressure in accordance with the tire load pursuant to 49 C.F.R. 571.109 (FMVSS 109). The vehicle must contain a front seat passenger or simulated equivalent one hundred fifty pounds weight secured to the seat in addition to the driver.
(2) Have steering capability for negotiating right and left turns of a thirty-two foot radius or less measured from the center of the turn circle to the outside front wheel track.
(3) Not have more free play or lash in the steering system than is allowed based on the table outlined in RCW 46.37.375. The test for free play or lash must be conducted as follows: With the engine on and the wheels in the straight ahead position, turn the steering wheel in one direction until there is a perceptible movement of a front wheel. If a point on the steering wheel rim moves more than the value shown in the table before perceptible return movement of the wheel under observation, there is excessive lash or free play in the steering system.

WAC 204-10-034

The WAC is an administrative rule not in conflict with the RCW, and therefore likely enforceable. And yes it says continuous and not round/circular, but the yoke isn't continuous; it stops just above the spokes, hence why I think the yoke is probably not allowed on cars sold in Washington. Tesla could probably mirror the bottom part of the yoke on the top, making for a rectangular shape, and it would pass muster. But, I'm just a guy on the internet and not the Washington State Patrol or Tesla's lawyers.

It is legal unless the law explicitly states otherwise. A gray area means it is legal. Nothing in federal law eliminates this yoke. Some may not like and question its safety - that does not make it illegal. Tesla will fight it and win - if they have not already.

I am willing to try it and look forward to it. I have not heard anything that shows this is unsafe other than it is not what is used now or what is habitual to most. Looks good and functional to me.

Seems as if a yoke wouldn’t be in compliance with 1A

“A motor vehicle must be equipped with a continuous rim steering wheel meeting the requirements set forth under RCW 46.37.375, and this chapter. The steering must:
(a) Have an outside diameter of not less than twelve inches.”

Seems as if a yoke wouldn’t be in compliance with 1A

“A motor vehicle must be equipped with a continuous rim steering wheel meeting the requirements set forth under RCW 46.37.375, and this chapter. The steering must:
(a) Have an outside diameter of not less than twelve inches.”

That is just a Wash state code. Federal does not state that condition.

The WAC is an administrative rule not in conflict with the RCW, and therefore likely enforceable. And yes it says continuous and not round/circular, but the yoke isn't continuous; it stops just above the spokes, hence why I think the yoke is probably not allowed on cars sold in Washington. Tesla could probably mirror the bottom part of the yoke on the top, making for a rectangular shape, and it would pass muster. But, I'm just a guy on the internet and not the Washington State Patrol or Tesla's lawyers.
That's under the "STATE PATROL (EQUIPMENT)" section, which from my common sense understanding (not lawyer) applies only to equipment that the Washington State Patrol uses. So it seems to me this car won't be legal for Washington State Patrol to use if the "continuous rim steering wheel" applies, not talking about the general public.
Title 204 WAC:

The RCW however applies to "MOTOR VEHICLES" so would seem to be the actual law that applies to the general public.
Title 46 RCW: MOTOR VEHICLES

That's under the "STATE PATROL (EQUIPMENT)" section, which from my common sense understanding (not lawyer) applies only to equipment that the Washington State Patrol uses. So it seems to me this car won't be legal for Washington State Patrol to use if the "continuous rim steering wheel" applies, not talking about the general public.
Title 204 WAC:

The RCW however applies to "MOTOR VEHICLES" so would seem to be the actual law that applies to the general public.
Title 46 RCW: MOTOR VEHICLES

See WAC 204-10-010 and Chapter 46.37 RCW. The RCW chapter and therefore this WAC chapter (adopted under statutory authority in Chapter 46.37 RCW) applies to motor vehicles in Washington State, not just the State Patrol vehicles.

WAC 204-10-010
Promulgation.

By authority of RCW 46.37.005, 46.37.320, 46.37.400, and 46.37.530 (1)(b) the Washington state patrol hereby adopts the following rules setting forth standards for motor vehicle equipment for which approval is required in chapter 46.37 RCW.

New Ferraris have buttons instead of turn signal stalks. Judging by your avatar, you should know. ;)
They seem to be selling just fine in WA.
Difference between driving a Ferrari (a car that commands your attention) and mother Molly driving 3 kids to the soccer game all distracted, is that noone likes fiddling with their iPhone (since Tesla has no CarPlay), starbucks drink and screaming kids while looking for randomly placed capacitative touch buttons while changing lanes. Oh yeah, Elon said that new Teslas will have intuitive gear selectors too. I just ask that they figure out panel gaps first before "reinventing the wheel."

Last edited:
Difference between driving a Ferrari (a car that commands your attention) and mother Molly driving 3 kids to the soccer game all distracted, is that noone likes fiddling with their iPhone (since Tesla has no CarPlay), starbucks drink and screaming kids while looking for randomly placed capacitative touch buttons while changing lanes. Oh yeah, Elon said that new Teslas will have intuitive gear selectors too. I just ask that they figure out panel gaps first before "reinventing the wheel."
But none of that addresses the question of what’s legal. If one manufacturer is selling a car with a yoke and/or buttons instead of stalks, then it seems likely that the legality is not an issue.

Debating whether it’s good design is a whole different topic.

But none of that addresses the question of what’s legal. If one manufacturer is selling a car with a yoke and/or buttons instead of stalks, then it seems likely that the legality is not an issue.

Debating whether it’s good design is a whole different topic.

There are two things in question:

1) Turn signal / gear buttons on the steering wheel
2) Yoke-shaped steering wheel

I think Ferraris confirm #1 is legal, but as far as I am aware no Ferraris come with a yoke out of the factory.