Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your dashcam video as bad as mine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have MCU1 & AP 2.0 with the upgraded FSD computer. It's very choppy and washed out. The colors are better on the repeaters, but they have the same choppiness.

I've tried 2 different USB 3.0 flash drives and 2 different SSDs. I'm wondering how much MCU2 would improve on this. When I'm parked, the frame rate improves.

Video: 16-04-34-front.mp4

I have MCU1 & AP 2.0 with the upgraded FSD computer. It's very choppy and washed out. The colors are better on the repeaters, but they have the same choppiness.

I've tried 2 different USB 3.0 flash drives and 2 different SSDs. I'm wondering how much MCU2 would improve on this. When I'm parked, the frame rate improves.

Video: 16-04-34-front.mp4
Had the exact same experience when car was moving. I upgraded to MCU2 and I no longer experience that pixelation while the car is moving. I have HW 3.0 and AP 2.0 cameras.

Hi,
I have a 2017 MX. Way back, when FSD was offered for a low price, I jumped on it
and have been waiting for the last few years for the h/w upgrade to become available.
I have just had my FSD upgrade completed. One of the features that appeared
after the upgrade was TeslaCam.

I appreciate they probably didn't upgrade the cameras, only the central computer.
However, the video being saved by TeslaCam is bad. I mean unusably bad.

I've tried two different flash drives (both of which should have been fast enough)
plus an HDD (which was definitely fast enough) and got the same results, so I suspect
the install isn't working right.

Here is an example of the video. Not all the video is as bad as this, but it mostly is:

Surely this isn't normal after this upgrade?

Thx
P.

The media isn't showing above, at least for me. Here's a link:

Bad teslacam video

Did you upgrade to MCU2 as well? You’ll find threads complaining of poor video recording with MCU1/HW3 combo.

Hi,
I have a 2017 MX. Way back, when FSD was offered for a low price, I jumped on it
and have been waiting for the last few years for the h/w upgrade to become available.
I have just had my FSD upgrade completed. One of the features that appeared
after the upgrade was TeslaCam.

I appreciate they probably didn't upgrade the cameras, only the central computer.
However, the video being saved by TeslaCam is bad. I mean unusably bad.

I've tried two different flash drives (both of which should have been fast enough)
plus an HDD (which was definitely fast enough) and got the same results, so I suspect
the install isn't working right.

Here is an example of the video. Not all the video is as bad as this, but it mostly is:

Surely this isn't normal after this upgrade?

Thx
P.
Did you upgrade the MCU as well, or did you just upgrade the Autopilot computer?

If the MCU is also required for TeslaCam to work, did they make
a mistake to enable it after the FSD upgrade?
It's no mistake.

Tesla web page says:

"Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, and for a more advanced and smoother user experience."

If you don't upgrade your MCU, you don't get that "more advanced and smoother user experience."

You are not required to upgrade the MCU but you'll be in the same club as below:

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It's no mistake.

Tesla web page says:

"Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, and for a more advanced and smoother user experience."

If you don't upgrade your MCU, you don't get that "more advanced and smoother user experience."

You are not required to upgrade the MCU but you'll be in the same club as below:

Thanks for that.

This seems quite different to my experience. My Infotainment seems identical to
before the upgrade - perhaps its a little slower routing but otherwise just fine.
However the TeslaCam is quite unusable. (I should have mentioned that I am
looking at the video recorded by TeslaCam on my laptop. So the problem is that
what is being recorded is rubbish, not the playback via the MCU).

Oh well. I know my MCU is on life support - its approaching 5 years old, so its only a matter of
time before the flash dies.

...This seems quite different to my experience. My Infotainment seems identical to before the upgrade - perhaps its a little slower routing but otherwise just fine...
I hear you! Denial can be a very useful defense mechanism in psychology, especially in the Tesla cult.

When you are through with the denial phase, you can pay up for MCU2 and join the club of smoother video recording as mentioned by @fr100 above.