Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Israel/Hamas conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYT (among many media outlets) was also very quick to blame the Islamic Jihad rocket explosion in the Gazan hospital parking lot on the IDF. They may not be the most trustworthy source on this conflict.

That maybe true. At the same time, The Times of Israel is probably much more biased.
(for the nitpickers, I linked the Times myself a few posts ago, when Netanyahu was bragging about his derailment of the Oslo accords. When they brag about these things you know their are finally telling the truth).

Last edited:
"Gaza must be erased so that settlers can see the sea. We must evacuate Gaza of all Arabs and build Jewish settlements in all of Gaza".
Daniella Weiss, head of a settler movement.
Does anyone think that when this is over that Gaza will return to the status quo?

The viciousness and barbarity of the 10/7 attacks were purposefully designed by Hamas and their Iranians backers to destroy peace for a generation and change the landscape in Israel. Especially targeting Leftist and Peacenik Israelis who were trying to help Gazans politically and physically by allowing them to work in their communities and provide top notch medical care at Israeli hospitals. There is no going back. Trust has been destroyed for generations.

Unfortunately for Hamas and Gazans, the Israelis are no longer responding with restraint and have been very effective in targeting Hamas fighters and their tunnel infrastructure.

"Gaza must be erased so that settlers can see the sea. We must evacuate Gaza of all Arabs and build Jewish settlements in all of Gaza".
Daniella Weiss, head of a settler movement.
What do you imagine follows from these anecdotes that you continually share? Do you not realize that there even more anecdotes that are much more graphic of Gaza jihadists pining for martyrdom by sadistically torturing and killing infidels?

If you want to have a war of competing anecdotes, the death and destruction directly and intentionally caused by jihadists worldwide will win by a mile.

And if you want to compare the planned premeditated, documented-by-joyful-selfies, terror committed on Oct 7 solely intended to cause death and destruction and torture, with Israeli attempts to bring those who committed these atrocities to justice, and prevent it from happening in the future, then you are ignoring the basic moral element of intent.

What do you think the intent was by those who committed the Oct 7 terror?

How (if at all!) do you propose that those terrorists be brought to justice for planning and carrying out the kidnapping, unspeakable torture, and murder of Oct 7?

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyPeat and X Fan
It's funny, because for many of you the horrible attacks of the 10/7 justify the destruction of an entire population. 24000 deaths, and counting. Cities destroyed, hospitals destroyed? "but 10/7 attacks"!
It's your only answer.
There is a mountain of evidence that history did not in fact start with those (horrible, again) attacks, but what you call "peace" is an occupation and "apartheid" system with a wall and citizens of different class and rights. IDF has killed and tortured and arrested illegally, for decades. Settlers have killed. But only when Israeli lives are taken, than scorched earth is justified.
Yes, those attacks where horrible, and the perpetrators should be brought to justice. But they are almost all dead, along with other 20'000 with women and children too.
The simple, unspeakable fact is that Palestinian lives don't count as much Israeli lives. Simple as that. Less than a tenth, in fact.
It has been like this for decades.

What do you imagine follows from these anecdotes that you continually share? Do you not realize that there even more anecdotes that are much more graphic of Gaza jihadists pining for martyrdom by sadistically torturing and killing infidels?

If you want to have a war of competing anecdotes, the death and destruction directly and intentionally caused by jihadists worldwide will win by a mile.

And if you want to compare the planned premeditated, documented-by-joyful-selfies, terror committed on Oct 7 solely intended to cause death and destruction and torture, with Israeli attempts to bring those who committed these atrocities to justice, and prevent it from happening in the future, then you are ignoring the basic moral element of intent.

What do you think the intent was by those who committed the Oct 7 terror?

How (if at all!) do you propose that those terrorists be brought to justice for planning and carrying out the kidnapping, unspeakable torture, and murder of Oct 7?
What do you think is the intent of bombing Gaza right now? after all the mayhem? Who are they targeting? This is destruction with the intent of destruct, and murder with the intent to kill.
I'll always condemn who kills a man with joy and sadism; but the man who kills a thousand with a drone is worse, by my standards.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
If you count all the jihadists, I can count the US as the first ally of Israel: that will win by a thousand miles.

(and, btw, it's really disingenuous to say this is a religious war. I'm sure there were jihadists, but the palestinian-israeli conflict has been a land conflict, for over 70 years. this is the main point, and always has been.
the rest are just intertwined complications).

(and, btw, it's really disingenuous to say this is a religious war. I'm sure there were jihadists, but the palestinian-israeli conflict has been a land conflict, for over 70 years. this is the main point, and always has been.
the rest are just intertwined complications).
Good grief.

Hamas (and Hezbollah, Iran, and Islamic Jihad) are full-on Islamist organizations. We are entering a whole new level of denial if you are now disputing this. These radical Islamist groups invented suicide bombers and modern day terrorism of targeting civilians. You can't get true believers to blow themselves up and a disco full of civilians over just land. Control over Jerusalem and Al Aqsa mosque is key to Hamas's grievances because Islam can NEVER EVER give up land that Islam conquered in the past. Bin Laden and Al Qaeda cited the same thing to justify attacks on the US on 9/11.

If this was just a "land" conflict, why didn't the Arabs accept numerous peace deals where Israel offered additional land swaps and other concessions to make up for portions of Jerusalem and the West Bank that Israel wanted to keep under their control?

What do you think is the intent of bombing Gaza right now? after all the mayhem? Who are they targeting?
Even now, Hamas is still firing hundreds of rockets and still holding 100+ civilian hostages.

You expect Israel to just sit back under those circumstances?

If you really care about the Arabs in Gaza, you should be screaming from the rooftops for Hamas to stop their rocket attacks and release all the remaining hostages ASAP to get Israel to stop.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
the horrible attacks of the 10/7 justify the destruction of an entire population.

using obvious hyperbolic lies like "destruction of an entire population" appear simply emotional and not rational and it is not remotely persuasive.

24000 deaths, and counting. Cities destroyed, hospitals destroyed?

24,000? Even the Hamas run Gaza ministry doesn't say 24,000. That is a simple lie.
But even the Hamas reported 20,000 number is a lie too, as was their "500" deaths claim in the hospital that Hamas themselves bombed.

what you call "peace" is an occupation and "apartheid" system with a wall and citizens of different class and rights.
Occupation is defined in Article 42 of the Fourth Hague Convention:

“Territory is considered occupied when it is actually placed under the authority of the hostile army. The occupation extends only to the territory where such authority has been established and can be exercised.”

Israel hasn't been in Gaza since 2005 and Israel and Egypt together restrict trade so as to reduce the ability of Hamas to wage more terror -- including building a network of tunnels from which to wage more terrorist jihad.

It is again your lie to say that Israel is occupying Gaza. It isn't. Anyone who says that they are is simply lying or massively ignorant or they have some other agenda.

Education may be obtained here: A Briefing Note on Occupation

those attacks where horrible, and the perpetrators should be brought to justice. But they are almost all dead,

Oh, so who is holding the current hostages? Maybe they should just walk free if Hamas terrorists are all dead now.

smh

What do you think is the intent of bombing Gaza right now? after all the mayhem? Who are they targeting? This is destruction with the intent of destruct, and murder with the intent to kill. . . . I'll always condemn who kills a man with joy and sadism; but the man who kills a thousand with a drone is worse, by my standards.
The same intent of bombing Germany and Japan in WW2. Wage war on your neighbor, and your neighbor will attack you back to defend themselves. It's the rules of war. Educate yourself. Israel is following the rules of war much better than the terrorist jihadist Hamas who intentionally target civilians, hide behind hospitals and schools, use ambulances to transport terrorists, and quite literally violate just about every rule of international law that has been promulgated.

Needed education may be obtained here: http://uklficharity.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Note-on-proportionality-final.pdf

it's really disingenuous to say this is a religious war. I'm sure there were jihadists, but the palestinian-israeli conflict has been a land conflict, for over 70 years. this is the main point, and always has been.

This is the one single thing that you are most wrong about.

It is most definitely a religious war. Read the Hamas charter.

Take the terrorists at their own word:

Here's a transcript from a recording of a cell phone call that a member of Hamas made to his family, while he was in the process of massacring innocent men, women, and children. The man is ecstatic, telling his father and mother, and brother, that he has just killed ten Jews with his own hands. He had just murdered a husband and wife and was now calling his family from the dead woman’s phone.

“Hi dad — Open my ‎WhatsApp now, and you’ll see all those killed. Look how many I killed with my own hands! Your son killed Jews!”

And his dad says “May God protect you.”

“Dad, I’m talking to you from a Jewish woman’s phone. I killed her, and I killed her husband. I killed ten with my own hands! Dad, ten with my own hands! Dad, open WhatsApp and see how many I killed, dad. Open the phone, dad. I’m calling you on WhatsApp. Open the phone, go. Dad, I killed ten. Ten with my own hands. Their blood is on their hands. [a reference to the Quran] Put mom on.”

And the father says, “Oh my son. God bless you!”

“I swear ten with my own hands. Mother, I killed ten with my own hands!”

And his father says, “May God bring you home safely.”

“Dad, go back to WhatsApp now. Dad, I want to do a live broadcast.”

And the mother now says, “I wish I was with you.”

“Mom, your son is a hero!”

And then, apparently talking to his comrades he yells, “Kill, kill, kill, kill them.”

And then his brother gets on the line, asking where he is. And he tells his brother the name of the town and then he says “I killed ten! Ten with my own hands! I’m talking to you from a Jew’s phone!”

And the brother says, “You killed ten?”

“Yes, I killed ten. I swear!”

Then he says, “I am the first to enter on the protection and help of Allah! Hold your head up, father. Hold your head up! See on WhatsApp those that I killed. Open my WhatsApp.”

And his brother says, “Come back. Come back.”

And he says, “What do you mean come back? There’s no going back. It is either death or victory! My mother gave birth to me for the religion. What’s with you? How would I return? Open WhatsApp. See the dead. Open it.”

And the mother sounds like she is trying to figure out how to open WhatsApp…

“Open WhatsApp on your phone and see the dead, how I killed them with my own hands.”

That is literally the words of a terrorist, plainly discussing his acts and his motivations. He is probably still alive, plotting more death and destruction because "My mother gave birth to me for the religion"

Last edited:
This seems to me to be worth posting alone as it is extremely educational and adds signal to the noise in this thread:

From: Q&A on International Law of Armed Conflict and Gaza

This Q&A summarises the international law of armed conflict on key issues relevant to the recent military action in the Gaza Strip and its potential continuation, together with our views on whether the Israel Defence Forces and Hamas have complied.

We have tried to describe the legal requirements in a way that can be understood by non-lawyers. It is a simplified explanation which does not include all details; extensive further information is available on the ICRC Database of Customary International Humanitarian Law.

The Q&A covers rules on how armed conflict is conducted (jus in bello) rather than whether the parties are entitled to engage in armed conflict (jus ad bellum). However, where relevant, we regard Israel’s aim of destroying Hamas as a military organisation and government as a legitimate aim.

Breaches of the requirements are not necessarily war crimes. To amount to war crimes, breaches must be serious and committed with criminal intent; all elements of the crime in question must be present; and all these aspects must be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

A. CIVILIAN CASUALTIES AND DAMAGE TO CIVILIAN BUILDINGS

1. Are armed forces permitted to attack civilians under international law?

Armed forces must distinguish between civilians and combatants. Attacks targeting civilians are prohibited. However, attacks targeting enemy combatants are permitted even if civilian casualties or damage to civilian objects are expected, provided:

• The attacks are not indiscriminate (see question 5)
  • The expected civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects are not disproportionate to the anticipated military advantage (see section B) and
  • All feasible precautions are taken to avoid and minimise civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects (see section C)

2. Are armed forces permitted to attack civilian buildings and other civilian objects?

Armed forces must distinguish between civilian objects and military objectives. Attacks targeting civilian objects are prohibited unless they have become military objectives. An object is a military objective if

• it makes an effective contribution to military action by its nature, location, purpose or use and
  • its partial or total destruction, capture or neutralisation offers a definite military advantage.
For example, an ambulance may become a military objective if it is used to transport able-bodied combatants.

Attacks targeting military objectives are permitted subject to the conditions mentioned in answer 1.

3. Does Israel target civilians or civilian objects?

No. Israel targets combatants and military objectives. This is lawful even though civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects results, subject to the conditions mentioned above.

4. Do Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad target civilians or civilian objects?

Yes. Attacks by Hamas and other terrorists inside Israel from 7-9 October targeted civilians and civilian buildings. In addition their rockets are directed at Israeli civilian communities.

5. When is an attack “indiscriminate”?

An attack is indiscriminate if

• it is not directed at a specific military objective or
  • it uses means that cannot be directed at a specific military objective or whose effects cannot be limited in accordance with international law, and consequently is of a nature to strike military objectives and civilians or civilian objects without distinction.
Rockets fired by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad are indiscriminate.

B. PROPORTIONALITY

6. When is an attack “disproportionate”?

An attack is disproportionate if it may be expected to cause incidental civilian casualties and/or damage to civilian objects which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.

7. How is it assessed whether civilian casualties or damage to civilian objects are disproportionate?

This is assessed by reference to the judgment of a reasonable military commander in the circumstances at the time with the information then known to the commander of the attack.

8. Is it disproportionate if there are more casualties on one side than the other?

No. This is not what proportionality means. Indeed it is recognised that a substantial number of civilian casualties are likely to be inevitable where enemy armed forces are embedded among a civilian population. It has been reported that civilians accounted for 89% of the casualties in armed conflicts in densely populated areas worldwide in 2021. By contrast analyses of previous Israeli operations in the Gaza Strip have indicated that 50% or more of the casualties were terrorists.

9. Is it disproportionate if the number of casualties is much greater than expected?

No. The assessment is based on the information known to the commander of the attack at the time.

10. Have Israeli attacks on targets in the Gaza Strip since 7 October been disproportionate?

It is impossible to assess this without having the information known to the IDF commanders at the time. However, the IDF has processes for assessing both the expected military advantage and the risk of civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects for each strike, including review by lawyers who are not part of the command structure. The anticipated military advantage of each strike would be assessed in the context of Israel’s legitimate overall aim to destroy Hamas as a military organisation and government of the Gaza Strip so that the massacre and other crimes of 7-9 October will not be repeated.

C. PRECAUTIONS

11. Is a party to an armed conflict obliged to take precautions to protect its own civilians and civilian objects against the effects of attacks by another party?

Yes. Each party to an armed conflict has an obligation to take all feasible precautions to protect the civilian population and civilian objects under its control against the effects of attacks by another party. So far as feasible, it must avoid locating military objectives within or near densely populated areas and remove civilian persons and objects from the vicinity of military objectives. The use of human shields is prohibited.

12. Has Hamas violated its obligation to take precautions to protect civilians and civilian objects under its control?

Hamas has violated this obligation

• by conducting military operations and storing weapons and other military equipment in, around and underneath civilian buildings,
  • by failing to remove civilians from the vicinity of military objectives,
  • by obstructing civilians who wish to leave these areas, and
  • by reserving underground shelters for military use instead of for the protection of civilians.
By these violations Hamas seeks either to deter strikes by the IDF or to gain propaganda victories if the IDF is not deterred, furthering its strategic objective of getting the international community to force a ceasefire on Israel before Hamas is destroyed.

13. Has Israel violated its obligation to take precautions to protect civilians and civilian objects under its control?

No. Israel has gone to great lengths to protect civilians and civilian objects under its control. These measures include security rooms and shelters, warnings systems, the “Iron Dome”, and large-scale evacuations of population from near the Gaza Strip and areas near Syria and Lebanon.

14. What precautions must be taken when carrying out an attack?

All feasible precautions must be taken to avoid and minimise civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects. Each party must

• do everything feasible to verify that targets are military objectives,
  • take all feasible precautions in the choice of means and methods of warfare to avoid and minimise civilian casualties and damage to civilian objects,
  • do everything feasible to assess whether the attack may be expected to cause civilian casualties and/or damage to civilian objects that would be excessive in relation to the anticipated military advantage
  • cancel or suspend an attack if it becomes apparent that the target is not a military objective or that the attack may be expected to cause civilian casualties and/or damage to civilian objects that would be excessive in relation to the anticipated military advantage
  • give effective advance warning of attacks which may affect the civilian population unless circumstances do not permit this, and
  • select military objectives to cause the least danger to civilian lives and objects where there is a choice between several military objectives for obtaining a similar military advantage.
15. Has Israel taken the precautions required by international law in its attacks on targets in the Gaza Strip since 7 October?

It is impossible to assess this without having full information about the targets, the information known to the IDF commanders at the time, the information available to them, alternative means and methods of warfare, alternative targets, etc. However, the IDF has processes for assessing before and during missions whether targets are military objectives, the anticipated military advantages, the expected civilian casualties and damage; and for selecting targets, means and methods to achieve military objectives while minimising civilian casualties and damage; and for aborting attacks in the light of further information obtained during the mission. Proposed strikes are reviewed by lawyers who are not part of the command structure.

The IDF has taken extensive precautions to minimise civilian casualties despite the difficulty of reaching an enemy operating in, around and underneath civilian buildings. These precautions have included advising civilians to evacuate military targets and areas of likely military action before attacks by phone calls, text messages and leaflets, and by providing evacuation routes and pauses in its military action to enable civilians to escape.

16. Is it legitimate to ask civilians in an enemy territory to evacuate areas of likely military action?

Yes, as long as the intended military action will target enemy combatants and/or military objectives. The forces on both sides have an obligation to take all feasible precautions to avoid and minimise civilian casualties resulting from attacks on military targets.

17. Has Hamas taken the precautions required by international law in its attacks on Israel since 7 October?

No. Hamas has deliberately attacked civilians and has sought to maximise, not minimise civilian casualties and damage.

D. HOSPITALS

18. Is it ever permitted to attack hospitals and other medical facilities?

Hospitals and other medical units exclusively assigned to medical purposes must be protected in all circumstances. However, they lose their protection if they are being used outside their humanitarian function to commit acts harmful to the enemy. These include using a hospital to shelter able-bodied combatants, or to store arms or munitions, or as a shield for military action.

Where a hospital is used to commit acts harmful to another party, that party must give a warning with a reasonable time limit and delay its attack until this period has expired. The attacking party must also still comply with the principles of distinction, proportionality and precautions described in sections A-C above.

19. Was the Al-Shifa Hospital used to commit acts harmful to Israel?

Yes. Recently obtained evidence is confirming earlier information that Hamas has been using the Al-Shifa Hospital for military purposes, including concealing able-bodied hostages, shielding their captors and other military personnel, storing military equipment, and as a command and control centre.

20. Did the IDF comply with its international law obligations when it entered the Al-Shifa hospital?

According to the IDF, before entering the hospital buildings it gave 12 hours’ notice to the authorities in Gaza that any military operation in the hospital must cease. IDF soldiers entered the building accompanied by Israeli doctors, medical supplies and baby food. It does not appear that any weapons were fired or that there was any destruction of hospital facilities as a result of the entry. Premature babies were successfully evacuated in incubators.

E. SIEGE AND HUMANITARIAN SUPPLIES

21. Is it lawful to impose a siege on an enemy territory?

Yes. Siege is a permissible means of warfare unless the intention is to starve the civilian population. Siege warfare can be more humane than other forms of warfare, such as bombardment, and can shorten a conflict. However, even if a siege results in the starvation of civilians, it is not prohibited by international law as long as the purpose of the siege is to achieve a military objective and not to starve the civilian population.

22. Does a State have an obligation to supply food, water, fuel, electricity, and medical supplies to a territory under enemy control?

No. A State engaged in armed conflict has no obligation to supply anything to a territory under its enemy’s control. On the contrary, there is an obligation on all States not to provide economic resources or any form of support directly or indirectly to terrorists.

23. Must a State permit third parties to makes supplies that are essential to the survival of the civilian population in enemy territory?

Yes, a State must facilitate the supply by third parties of food, medical supplies and other supplies essential to the survival of the civilian population, provided there are no serious reasons for fearing that these supplies will be diverted to or used by the enemy forces or that the enemy will obtain a military advantage because these supplies replace other supplies that will be diverted to the enemy forces.

24. If there are serious reasons for fearing that essential supplies will be diverted to enemy forces, does international law allow a State to prevent them being supplied, even if the result is starvation of civilians under enemy control?

Yes, it is lawful for a State to prevent essential supplies where there are serious reasons for fearing that they will be diverted to enemy forces, even if the result is starvation of civilians under enemy control. In this situation, legal responsibility lies with the enemy forces for diverting humanitarian supplies or failing to ensure that they will not be diverted.

25. Has Israel complied with its legal obligations regarding humanitarian supplies during its siege of the Gaza Strip?

Israel terminated its supply of electricity to the Gaza Strip, as it was entitled to do. Israel would have been entitled to do so even if the electricity were only used for civilian purposes. In fact electricity is used by Hamas to ventilate its military tunnels and to launch its rockets at Israeli civilians, so Israel was doubly entitled to terminate supply. Furthermore, eight out of the nine power supply lines from Israel into the Gaza Strip were destroyed in the attacks by Hamas and other terrorist groups on 7 October and have not yet been repaired.

Israel initially terminated its supply of water to the Gaza Strip but subsequently resumed supply of water through two of the three pipelines that were either not broken or have been repaired following the attacks by Hamas and other terrorists. Prior to 7 October, Israel was supplying less than 10% of the water used in the Gaza Strip, so the impact of the temporary cessation was not significant. Israel has also permitted supplies of water into Gaza via the Rafah crossing.

Fuel, food and other supplies were previously transferred from Israel to the Gaza Strip via the Kerem Shalom crossing, but this was seriously damaged by Palestinian terrorists on 7 October. Israel has agreed since then to allow imports of food, fuel and other humanitarian supplies from Egypt via the Rafah crossing, subject to arrangements intended to reduce the risk of diversion to military use.

The Gaza Strip produces a substantial part of its food requirements and there were substantial stocks of food and fuel in the Gaza Strip on 7 October, although it appears that Hamas commandeered much of the available fuel. The Israeli authorities have monitored the needs of the civilian population in the Gaza Strip and have permitted sufficient supplies to avoid any mass starvation.

Israel has been and is entitled to prevent the supply of fuel altogether, since it has serious reasons for fearing that this will be diverted to enemy forces. Nevertheless, Israel has permitted supplies of fuel sufficient to meet minimum needs.

F. OCCUPATION

26. Is the Gaza Strip occupied by Israel?

Territory is considered occupied under international law when it is actually placed under the authority of a hostile army. The occupation extends only to the territory where the authority of the hostile army has been established and can in fact be exercised. Occupation ceases as soon as the occupying power evacuates the area.

The European Court of Human Rights has held that occupation requires the physical presence of foreign troops and is inconceivable without “boots on the ground”; a naval or air blockade does not suffice.

Israel evacuated its military and civilian presence from the Gaza Strip in 2005. Since then the Gaza Strip has not been occupied by Israel and will not be occupied by Israel unless and until the IDF has effective control of the territory or a distinct part of it.

UN resolutions and various States have described the Gaza Strip as still occupied by Israel since 2005 but this description does not accord with international law.

G. GENOCIDE

27. What is genocide?

Genocide is defined in international law as committing various acts with intent to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group as such, in whole or in part. The specified acts are:

• killing or causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group,
  • deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part
  • imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group
  • forcibly transferring children of the group to another group
Killing a large number of people without intent to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group in whole or in part is not genocide.

28. Is Hamas guilty of genocide?

Hamas’s leader in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar, has apparently stated “The leaders of the Occupation [i.e. Israel] should know, October 7th was just a rehearsal”. Hamas’s Deputy Foreign Minister, Ghazi Hamad, has been reported as saying that it will repeat the massacres of 7-9 October again and again until Israel is annihilated. Hamas’s Interior Minister, Fathi Hammad, said in 2019 “We must attack every Jew on the planet – slaughter and kill”. A copy of Hitler’s Mein Kampf translated into Arabic, with sections calling for the slaughter of Jews marked up, was recently found in a room in the northern Gaza Strip used as a base by members of Hamas.

Together with the deliberate targeting of all civilians within reach in the massacres led by Hamas on 7-9 October, evidence such as this could support a case of genocide against Hamas and some of its personnel.

29. Is Israel guilty of genocide?

There is no evidential basis for asserting that the IDF has conducted operations with intent to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group in whole or in part, and the facts indicate the contrary.

The Israeli government has repeatedly stated that its objective is to destroy Hamas. Hamas is not a national, ethnic, racial or religious group. No Israeli leader with authority over the conduct of the military operation has indicated an intention to destroy the Palestinian people. Claims to the contrary are based on misinterpretations of statements taken out of context. On the contrary, an Israeli Minister without command authority was suspended after he suggested that dropping a nuclear bomb on Gaza was “one of the possibilities”. Israeli politicians and media have discussed how to rebuild the Gaza Strip without Hamas after the war.

The IDF evidently has power to kill most of the population of the Gaza Strip but has not done so. Although serious and tragic, the Palestinian casualties so far, including terrorists and those killed by terrorists, amount to less than 1% of the population of the Gaza Strip. Israel has repeatedly urged and helped Palestinians in the north of the Gaza Strip to move to safer areas in the south. Israel has also taken extraordinary care to provide warnings to evacuate particular targets.

For further analysis of a claim that Israel is guilty of genocide, see our Briefing Note “Is Israel Guilty of Genocide?”

More than half a million people in Gaza — a quarter of the population — are starving due to “woefully insufficient” quantities of food entering the territory ever since Israel’s military responded to Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack, according to a report released Thursday by the U.N. and other agencies.

The report highlighted the humanitarian crisis in Gaza after more than 10 weeks of relentless bombardment and fighting. The extent of the population’s hunger eclipsed even the near-famines in Afghanistan and Yemen of recent years, according to figures in the report.

“It doesn’t get any worse,’’ said Arif Husain, chief economist for the U.N.’s World Food Program. “I have never seen something at the scale that is happening in Gaza. And at this speed. How quickly it has happened, in just a matter of two months.”

Emmanuel Macron has said that Israel’s goal of fighting terrorism did not mean it had to “flatten Gaza”, referring to its response to Hamas’s attack on 7 October.
“We cannot let the idea take root that an efficient fight against terrorism implies to flatten Gaza or attack civilian populations indiscriminately,” Macron told the France 5 broadcaster.
The French president called on Israel “to stop this response because it is not appropriate, because all lives are worth the same and we defend them”.
While acknowledging “Israel’s right to defend itself and fight terror”, Macron said France called for the protection of civilians and “a truce leading to a humanitarian ceasefire”.
The bloodiest-ever Gaza war began when Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October, killing about 1,140 people, mostly civilians, and abducting about 250, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
In response, Israel began a relentless bombardment alongside a ground invasion.

Maybe now Gaza residents will think harder before they elect a government that will wage terrorist jihad against peaceful innocent neighboring civilians.

Maybe the new Palestinian government will use the aid given to them to develop infrastructure to provide food and water to their residents instead of building tunnels and buying weapons to wage terrorist jihad against nearby music festivals.

Emmanuel Macron has said that Israel’s goal of fighting terrorism did not mean it had to “flatten Gaza”, referring to its response to Hamas’s attack on 7 October.
You know - Hamas could release the remaining hostages and stop firing rockets into Israel and Israel would not need to flatten Gaza. Just a thought.

Just amazes me how some folks who appear legitimately concerned about the civilians in Gaza (most certainly the UN and NGO's) put all the onus on Israel and seem to have zero demands of Hamas.