Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It didn't take long to lose confidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When did Tesla start towing the car to a SC for a flat? I thought Mobile Service or a Ranger or whatever would come out and do a wheel/tire swap so you could continue on your way. You would then pick up your original wheel/tire from the SC once it was repaired. Was that just for S and X?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
When did Tesla start towing the car to a SC for a flat? I thought Mobile Service or a Ranger or whatever would come out and do a wheel/tire swap so you could continue on your way. You would then pick up your original wheel/tire from the SC once it was repaired. Was that just for S and X?

Apparently Tesla has not supplied enough spares to towing companies for Model Y. The obvious need for Y spares would have required a bit of mundane planning, which is obviously not a thing at Tesla.

I agree that the Tesla should come with a tire repair kit at the very least, but this hardly something to sell a vehicle over.

I would suggest practicing with a plug kit, and compressor since it's the ideal case of a slow leak.

Mine came with the Tesla Tire repair kit. Was pleasantly surprised as I thought I was going to have to purchase one last year.

If this happened to me I would turn on my favorite 60’s music in my garage, simply pump up the tire With my air compressor, roll my floor jack into place, install the puck and jack up the car and loosening the lug nuts with my torque wrench, remove the tire, place it in the bed of my truck and go get it repaired or replaced. No big deal. Stuff happens. Not Tesla’s fault.

Bye Felicia.

If a flat tire is enough for you to give up on a car you have serious issues. Discount tire can take care of this for you no issues.

At least they offered to tow it for you. When my Toyota Tundra got a flat while driving in t snow, the breaker bar that was included in the jack broke so I had drive on a flat honking my horn till someone tracked me down... then once we got all the nuts off the wheel (being aluminum) seizes onto the rotor (being steel) and we spend an hour banging on it with a sledge hammer before it came off...

I agree with you on the slime and I have avoided it. But in the last 3 years I plugged 5 tires, two on the Model 3. Nails happen. And when you plug the compressor is your friend. Never took more than 10 minutes.

I confess to never having done this, though I have the tools/plugs if needed. One thing has always puzzled me .. how do you find the source of the leak (other than listen for it or pour water and look for bubbles)?

• Funny
I confess to never having done this, though I have the tools/plugs if needed. One thing has always puzzled me .. how do you find the source of the leak (other than listen for it or pour water and look for bubbles)?

Soapy water is the best way. Then position the tire so the puncture is at the bottom and pump in the slime. But I have never used the slime kit that came with my other cars. A plug is just as easy to do and doesnt gunk up the tpms sensor.