Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It didn't take long to lose confidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know of a car company that has a choose your own road side assistance option, maybe it exist and I'm in the wrong tax bracket. Yeah I don't get your outrage for most of the reasons already mentioned. You aren't really going to sell and take the depreciation hit over something so silly?
It's symptomatic of Tesla's terrible service once you get their car. I expected a van to pull up to fix the tire, not to haul it off to a SC for god-knows how long.

The issue I had is the bullshit that Tesla tells you about the tire swap program; got a flat and called roadside assistance and was told the east coast service centers/towing provides do not have tires yet for the tire swap program so my MY had to be towed in for a flat. Such a cutting edge company.

I understand, but I can't even get the tire off the car.

Most cars that don't have spares no longer do. My Volt came with a Pump and Sealer. But no Jack.
I added a Jack and Plug kit to my Chevy Volt, Model 3 and Model X.
And 12 Winter tires, so I have plenty of "Spares".

Sorry, this all on you to do a little diligence if this sort of thing matters to you.

What size wheels? The small rims are not any more susceptible to flats than most cars. But the large rims are.

Also be aware of the foam in your tires can be hassle to get fixed at some shops. Ask the shop if they can handle the foam liner.

Any shop can handle the STANDARD Telsa lugs. It's called Metric.

Good luck.

Flat tires Stink! I will point out another car that doesn't have a spare... My Toyota Sienna AWD- yup, no spare (the AWD system takes up the spare space) but Toyota makes you use Run Flat tires. As the tire place said to me... "Yeah, run flat tires- none of the performance, half the millage, and twice the price." Which is SO TRUE! What really kills me is that Run Flat tires "can't" be repaired... so 1 nail and $400 later you are back on the road. And for some reason my car is a NAIL MAGNET and I've gone through 3 tires just in the last 1.5 years.

So I'll take a car that I can fix the tires- In fact, I'm not replacing my tires ever again to Run Flat- I'm getting a spare from Modern Spare and going regular tires. And I've seen Tesla's up on the lift at my local Mavis, so I can say I feel pretty confident that I could get my tire fixed if I'm traveling.

I'll also add that I did buy a slime kit and put a pump in my Tesla- but I've done that for every car I've owned.

Sorry for your flat and good luck.
This. Had run flats on my BMWs, no tire tools to be seen. Plugged their tires twice, went on with my life - never thought “crap, I should just sell the car and get an ‘84 Eldorado like my Dad”. Think I’ve heard it all now.

I remember when I got a flat on a new vehicle once. I sued. And lost. In the end, the plug/patch was $17.00. The litigation fees were like $15,000.00. I showed them!

On a serious note, this does suck, I have a pallet staple in one of my Y tires, and like every three weeks, I need to top that tire off with N2. Not something I want to do on a brand new vehicle, but, what are you going to do? Stuff happens.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nice simple socket set like this with the anti scratch sleeves is what I have, 21mm socket, you can buy 1 and a breaker bar at Autozone or any parts store. These are simple tools, nothing special and have been around for ages. As far as Tire shops, believe it or not they do have these simple tools laying around. Discount Tires will repair your flat for free.

Lug Nut Socket Set, Professional Grade, Manufactured Using Quality Chromoly Steel, 5-piece Thin Wall Impact Sockets, Durable Lug Nut Remover by Shankly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT39235/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_vrPFFb4VYQSM7

Fortunately we have a second gas fired car that we have confidence in and can get it serviced anywhere.
For sale soon - a low mileage Model Yw/one repaired tire.

Umm, you do realize you can get a flat tire on a Tesla fixed anywhere? Most places will fix them free. Pump the tire up, go to a tire dealer, get it fixed. Yes, Teslas should come with a tire pump. They don't. Buy one for $30. Buy a jack if you want one. Another $30. 21 mm lug nuts are really, really common. It's not rocket science. If you want to be self sufficient learn a little something about cars, buy a few basic tools. The jacks and lug wrenches that come with 99% of cars are junk anyways. If you really plan on using either, buy a decent set regardless of your car. If you don't, call a mobile tire repair. Kids these days.

Umm, you do realize you can get a flat tire on a Tesla fixed anywhere? Most places will fix them free. Pump the tire up, go to a tire dealer, get it fixed. Yes, Teslas should come with a tire pump. They don't. Buy one for $30. Buy a jack if you want one. Another $30. 21 mm lug nuts are really, really common. It's not rocket science. If you want to be self sufficient learn a little something about cars, buy a few basic tools. The jacks and lug wrenches that come with 99% of cars are junk anyways. If you really plan on using either, buy a decent set regardless of your car. If you don't, call a mobile tire repair. Kids these days.
What he/said. Not one to pile on but what the hell. This is not an issue
total joke. sell your Y and go whine about something sooooo stupid someplace else.

this thread should be closed.
Yeah what they said..close this thread, close this thread!

• Disagree
IMO, I don't think the OP is happy with going EV with the Y to begin with. Seems like he was looking for a reason to convince himself to get out of it.

In 35 years of driving, I've had my fair share of flats, rips, nails in the tire. I even had a Lexus where the lug bolt broke off when I tried to undo a lug nut to put on a spare. I've also owned BMWs like others here with run flats (which I loath to this day) that left me stranded a couple of times. But never did I think to sell the car at a $10k loss because you had to tow the car to a shop to fix a flat! o_O

As for Tesla service, I am one of many here who've received excellent service from my local SC. The service advisor that was assigned to me was so awesome, I ask for him by name. It's all matter of perspective too. If you get pissy and express discontent with people who are there to help, how do you expect to get good service in return? They get paid to do a job, not to grovel at your feet or apologize on behalf of Tesla, that's Elon's job.

Last edited: