Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like it could fly, so I built some runway lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mirrors have only one inch clearance through our garage door, so I need high precision when I park. Current version AP2 Summon always parks too crooked for all four doors to be usable, so I built a tool to help me park perfectly every time:

http:// https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/albums/x-runway-lights.851/
More images

These runway lights are placed to be perfectly vertical in the rear cam if the vehicle is aligned properly. Now I can precisely park right where I want it on the first try.

The lights are a rope of individually addressable WS2812Bs in a water tight casing. The vehicles can track a lot of water into the garage, so I designed and 3D printed 30 little lifting rails to allow drainage. The light cycle is controlled by a simple program on an Adruino Pro Mini and power is switched on whenever the garage door is open. I used a blob of clear silicone caulk every foot or so to secure it to the floor. Happy to answer any questions if anyone else wants to geek up their garage like this.

how did you go about linking power to the garage door?
I was going to go fancy with a PIR or distance sensor, but I decided to do at least one thing the simple way. I used a Z-Wave outlet controller linked to garage door open/close events in our security system. It works perfectly and doesn't require any calibration.

I think based on the vid, it would be better with 2 runway lights, one on each side to line up the virtual white backup lanes. Besides, airport runway lights are always 2 lines, no?
It really depends on where you're landing. There are a lot of different standards for runway lights, but the airport I trained at uses a rabbit (approach lights), plus edge and center lighting. This design is really a combination of the rabbit and centerline. I actually bought a 2nd set of lights thinking exactly what you suggested, but I stuck with a single run after finding there was no safe way to have side rails that couldn't be run over.

I had originally planned on using dual laser lines projected onto the floor, but that wouldn't be visible in daylight without using a laser powerful enough to hurt my kids' eyes.

I used a Z-Wave outlet controller linked to garage door open/close events in our security system. It works perfectly and doesn't require any calibration.

genius. That's a perfect application of that tech. I have a wink system and short of turning on lights (as long as the switches are already on) and opening my garage door I'm not sure what else to use it for.

Reactions: tizio
Can I do the same thing with philips hue strips?
You can do a basic version of it. Hue Strips are homogenous color LED roll, and very overpriced IMO. All the LEDs in the Hue Strip are the same color at once.

What you want for a truly animated setup is an individually addressable LED strip with WS2812B lights like this one. The one linked comes with everything you need for a basic install, including the light controller and a remote. I'm not sure what patterns it's programmed with, but you'll surely find something you like.

My mirrors have only one inch clearance through our garage door, so I need high precision when I park. Current version AP2 Summon always parks too crooked for all four doors to be usable, so I built a tool to help me park perfectly every time:

More images

These runway lights are placed to be perfectly vertical in the rear cam if the vehicle is aligned properly. Now I can precisely park right where I want it on the first try.

The lights are a rope of individually addressable WS2812Bs in a water tight casing. The vehicles can track a lot of water into the garage, so I designed and 3D printed 30 little lifting rails to allow drainage. The light cycle is controlled by a simple program on an Adruino Pro Mini and power is switched on whenever the garage door is open. I used a blob of clear silicone caulk every foot or so to secure it to the floor. Happy to answer any questions if anyone else wants to geek up their garage like this.
@tizio - hat tip to you. You make it worthwhile to browse this forum.

• Love
Reactions: tizio