Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It was startling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was our wedding anniversary. So, we went out for breakfast and then off to Macy's for an hour. Then it was my turn to choose what to do.

There is a fairly new Tesla store in the town of Temecula, CA and we were about 5 miles away. I told the model 3 SR to navigate to the store using FSD which it did perfectly.

Entering the store, there was one model Y on the floor to show my wife. Nice car.

I was asked if I have ever driven a model 3 Performance which I said, "no". I was asked if I wanted to? Yes, was my reply.

My wife and I enter the car and took off down the street. Entering the onramp to the freeway, I slowed down and then hit it. Damn, I thought my SR was quick at 5.4 seconds to 60 mph. This car was 3.1 to 60 and boy, the car made my 3 SR seem like a turtle.

The car seemed heaver, the sound system better, scary faster.

Makes me rethink keeping my model 3 SR for the remainder of my life (I'm 80). My wife has told me many times that I should get the Plaid. She says we only have a few more years left, let's enjoy them.

After driving the 3 Performance to discover how scary fast it is, I would die of a heart attack punching the Plaid. So, I am considering a model 3 Performance. Hey, I've only got a few years left so I might enjoy them to quote my wife.

Will I do it or not? I will take a few days to think about it. It's either that or installing a yoke on my 3 SR.

Good for you, Jim! I'm glad you enjoyed the experience and are thinking about getting the car. I've had a Model S P85 since 2013 and a Model 3 Performance since 2018 and thoroughly enjoy both cars...I've been a life-long saver and it was quite a transformation for me to buy the Model S (which was almost as much as my first house years ago). But there's nothing like these cars, and I have absolutely zero regrets about the money spent...You Only Live Once!

Today was our wedding anniversary. So, we went out for breakfast and then off to Macy's for an hour. Then it was my turn to choose what to do.

There is a fairly new Tesla store in the town of Temecula, CA and we were about 5 miles away. I told the model 3 SR to navigate to the store using FSD which it did perfectly.

Entering the store, there was one model Y on the floor to show my wife. Nice car.

I was asked if I have ever driven a model 3 Performance which I said, "no". I was asked if I wanted to? Yes, was my reply.

My wife and I enter the car and took off down the street. Entering the onramp to the freeway, I slowed down and then hit it. Damn, I thought my SR was quick at 5.4 seconds to 60 mph. This car was 3.1 to 60 and boy, the car made my 3 SR seem like a turtle.

Makes me rethink keeping my model 3 SR for the remainder of my life (I'm 80). My wife has told me many times that I should get the Plaid. She says we only have a few more years left, let's enjoy them.

After driving the 3 Performance to discover how scary fast it is, I would die of a heart attack punching the Plaid. So, I am considering a model 3 Performance. Hey, I've only got a few years left so I might enjoy them to quote my wife.

Will I do it or not? I will take a few days to think about it. It's either that or installing a yoke on my 3 SR.

Another person in my neck of the woods! Glad to see more members here from my neighborhood.

At 80 owning an electric car must seem like a dream! I am glad you get to experience this, and I would say go for the Plaid , you'll get used to it :)

Happy Anniversary!

Makes me rethink keeping my model 3 SR for the remainder of my life (I'm 80). My wife has told me many times that I should get the Plaid. She says we only have a few more years left, let's enjoy them....So, I am considering a model 3 Performance. Hey, I've only got a few years left so I might enjoy them to quote my wife.

Your wife is a wise lady.

Think how much fun that Plaid (or Model 3P) would be on the way to Idyllwild! Do it!

I took delivery of the Model 3 P slightly over a week ago and its been an aboslute dream and pleasure to drive every day! Get one, you won't regret it.

Jim, I love this!!

Go with your heart. Get it and don’t think twice. I’m sure you’ve made enough practical decisions in your life that you owe yourself a fun one!

But maaaaaaybe go test drive that Plaid first. That thing is other-worldly. (Even without the acceleration —- just that interior is spectacular!)

Amazing story, holy smokes, I hope I have your outlook and am still driving at 80!

So you were born around 1941, wow, you have experienced some serious changes in automobiles it must be amazing to think about. Anyway, happy anniversary and look forward to seeing where you go from here :)

Amazing story, holy smokes, I hope I have your outlook and am still driving at 80!

So you were born around 1941, wow, you have experienced some serious changes in automobiles it must be amazing to think about. Anyway, happy anniversary and look forward to seeing where you go from here :)

I sure have

1964 1/2 I purchased a Mustang. Ford's beginning of the Mustang. Wish I still had it.

1975 I purchased a used Porche 911 SC. Had to sell when I went to a theological school. Felt odd driving on to campus with a Porsche
1993 Purchased Ford's first production of the Cobra R car. 100 to be made. I and 4 others sued Ford to make it happen and we won making the amount Ford produced changed to 104 that year. Ford gave one of us $10,000 not to take a car.
2000 Purchased a Ford Lightning F150. Only 4000 made that year. Fast pick up
2019 Purchased Tesla's model 3 SR
and if goes like I hope it will, I will purchase a Tesla 2022 model 3 Performance and die a happy man

5wgswg.jpg

5wgta2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: TexasTezla
Go for the Model S if you can swing it either LR or Plaid for the extra range and creature comforts. I have a M3P and love it, however there is more to life than 0-60 and after a while it will become normal to you. I picked mines up in Feb, I still do a 0-60 pull every now and then, but not as much as when I first got it. The only thing I would want more of is range in M3P, it's still the best car I have ever owned :)

Reactions: MrG_NY
Go for the Model S if you can swing it either LR or Plaid for the extra range and creature comforts. I have a M3P and love it, however there is more to life than 0-60 and after a while it will become normal to you. I picked mines up in Feb, I still do a 0-60 pull every now and then, but not as much as when I first got it. The only thing I would want more of is range in M3P, it's still the best car I have ever owned :)

I'm to the age where range is no longer important. The range on my SR is 200 and that's never been a problem. So, 300+ range on the Performance is a small benefit. About 15 speakers on the Performance vs 6 on my SR is a good benefit. Bigger brakes on the Perfor. a very good benefit.

What I might find a little sad is the fact that I will lose my status as a beta tester for FSD on the SR. I will never spend $10,000 for the FSD software for the Perfor.

I have thought about getting an S but I like the overall look of the 3 vs the S, X and Y

I'm to the age where range is no longer important. The range on my SR is 200 and that's never been a problem. So, 300+ range on the Performance is a small benefit. About 15 speakers on the Performance vs 6 on my SR is a good benefit. Bigger brakes on the Perfor. a very good benefit.

What I might find a little sad is the fact that I will lose my status as a beta tester for FSD on the SR. I will never spend $10,000 for the FSD software for the Perfor.

I have thought about getting an S but I like the overall look of the 3 vs the S, X and Y
If range is not an issue, then you will be completely happy with the M3P. Just remember to look all around before you punch it at a light and leave all the ICE performance cars in the dust lol.