Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's alive! [All spoiler, no speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I've said this before, but what Tesla's built is amazing. To be honest, I wouldn't believe the charge/discharge figures if this wasn't Tesla's application.

Also, please link back to this post (Fred/electrek, I'm looking at you) if you use this in a media article/story/etc.

Credit goes to @Troy for predicting the tests were done with the Aero wheels (Sport wheels shave off almost 12% of the 3 LR's range at 50mph).

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_HTSLV00.0L13_APPIPT1.PDF

The motor is a 3‐phase AC internal permanent magnet motor utilizing a six‐pole, high‐frequency design with inverter‐controlled magnetic flux.

The battery is rated at 400V and is capable of delivering in excess of 1000 Amperes. The battery mass is less than 500 kg.

The dedicated High Power Connector (HPC) can be purchased separately from the vehicle and a certified electrician will confirm the capabilities of the residential supply circuit at the vehicle owner’s location. Confirmation of a satisfactory residential electrical Supply will lead to the installation of a hard‐wired HPC unit, this will expedite vehicle charging at the most efficient rate. The HPC can supply available current up to a maximum of 80 amps and incorporates electronic systems that communicate with the vehicle control systems to indicate the maximum available current so that the vehicle can determine the amount and rate of charge required.

Charging at rates lower than or equal to 32A can also be achieved via a mobile connector. The universal mobile connector is included as standard in the purchase of every Model 3 and is an individual cable that connects the vehicle to any available domestic power outlet and can deliver current to a maximum of 32 Amps. The Mobile Connector incorporates similar electronic circuitry as the HPC to communicate with the vehicle and manage the charging process.

The vehicle is also capable of accepting DC current up to 525A from an off‐board charger (Supercharger).

Model 3 comes with one on‐board charger is capable of a maximum of 48A on 208V or 240V outlets and 12A on 120V outlets.

An NFC card or phone app should be used to lock the car by scanning the card on the b‐pillar. There is no passive locking with NFC cards (car does not auto lock).

Note: Using an NFC card to lock/unlock will be equivalent to an active lock/unlock—i.e., clicking on the key fob to lock and double‐ clicking to unlock.

Do not store the battery pack in a manner that allows terminals to short circuit. Do not place near heating equipment, nor expose to direct sunlight for long periods. The battery pack should only be stored in approved packaging and stacked no more than two (2) packages high. To maintain service life, the battery pack should be stored at a state of charge (SOC) of 15 to 50%.

Range Test Results
Vehicle ID 3R217‐R00012
Transmission AV/1
ETW 4250 (4126 ‐4375)
RLHP 9.95 @ 50 MPH

City Range, miles 495.04
System AC, Wh/mile 180.6035876
System DC, Wh/mile 165.31
Vehicle DC, Wh/mile 158.11

Highway Range, miles 454.75
System AC, Wh/mile 196.6047279
System DC, Wh/mile 179.96
Vehicle DC, Wh/mile 172.12

Derating Factor 0.7
Five Cycle Range (mi) 334
MPGe 126
Tesla Desired Range (mi) 310

It's hard to miss. A 15 inch touchscreen in the middle of the dash.
You might be right, but that's not how I read it. The text says: The Tesla Model 3 is equipped with a tell-tale lamp located in the instrument pack to indicate any malfunctions through user alerts e.g. "battery failure" with battery symbol. The tell-tale is complemented by a more detailed information exhibited on the Center Display. An additional driver aid which indicates the nature of the malfunction as well as a wide range of additional vehicle data, such as when maintenance is needed.

By specifically mentioning the "Center Display" later I took that to mean two locations. Also the term "lamp" seems inappropriate if they're talking about a warning icon on the LCD. But your interpretation may be better - I may be reading too much into that.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
"The vehicle is also capable of accepting DC current up to 525A from an off‐board charger (Supercharger)."

That's amazing, if true. Means it can charge much faster that the Model S/X. 525A x 350V = 184 kW. Or about 725 miles/hour, given 310 miles range at 252 Wh/mile.

Current superchargers only support 330A, though.
The recent SW update where you can see the charging power at the superchargers is starting to make sense though. (Maybe this filing was supposed to tick in *after* the Semi unveil?)

wait - car does not auto lock? That's one of my favorite features about the S!

It does auto lock. Unless you’re using the key card, in which case you need to ‘tap’ on the b-pillar to lock

FDC3B0F0-CB0B-48E8-919F-9A5F4D9AA1A0.jpeg

Last edited:
The curb weight's 3837lbs, which isn't too bad for an EV. The key cards don't auto-lock, but the cell phone app might. I'm guessing there's another display/instrument pack for the error lights, maybe just some LED indicators someplace on the dash.

If I'm reading the drive cycle data and this ANL pdf (page 6) correctly, I think range at 55mph is about 360 miles.

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/vss094_duoba_2013_o.pdf

You might be right, but that's not how I read it. The text says: The Tesla Model 3 is equipped with a tell-tale lamp located in the instrument pack to indicate any malfunctions through user alerts e.g. "battery failure" with battery symbol. The tell-tale is complemented by a more detailed information exhibited on the Center Display. An additional driver aid which indicates the nature of the malfunction as well as a wide range of additional vehicle data, such as when maintenance is needed.

By specifically mentioning the "Center Display" later I took that to mean two locations. Also the term "lamp" seems inappropriate if they're talking about a warning icon on the LCD. But your interpretation may be better - I may be reading too much into that.

The instrument pack might be referring to the upper left portion of the display where the MILs are. Might be in the upper right for wrong-hand-drive markets :p

"The vehicle is also capable of accepting DC current up to 525A from an off‐board charger (Supercharger)."

That's amazing, if true. Means it can charge much faster that the Model S/X. 525A x 350V = 184 kW. Or about 725 miles/hour, given 310 miles range at 252 Wh/mile.

Current superchargers only support 330A, though.
I think that you might be on to the most interesting bit of news in the report. We've seen a few examples of the Model 3 supercharging at stellar rates of 424 MPH at 102kW. This appears to be a limitation of the supercharger infrastructure and not the Model 3 battery. If current superchargers are limited to 330A that equals 330A x 350V = 115.5kW for the Model 3 LR battery pack. If supercharging 3.0 ups the ante, this document implies that the Model 3 LR could take, as you correctly showed, 184 kW. At somewhere around 700 MPH, that's something like 0 to fully charged in under 30 minutes! More realisticly, if you pull into a supercharger 3.0 with some charge {say 20%} and are only looking to get to the next one, needing say 70%, that would only take about 12 minutes. Now, I don't have taper in these numbers and supercharging 3.0 isn't announced yet, but I am totally thrilled with the 525A battery pack capability!