Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's shocking Tesla does not hand over direct control of their PW in the app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time Based Control

I’d start with setting an Off-peak period between 12-3, which should result in excess solar being stored by the battery until it’s full.

Setting a Peak period from 3pm to 12pm the next day should result in the powerwall discharging to cover house loads. Solar produced during that period will go to house loads first, back to the grid second if the powerwall is full.

In your rate plan set a fairly large difference between peak and off peak buy rates. If you want to prioritize your house loads at all times and minimize energy that goes back to the grid, set your sell price to zero.
Ok Ive just experimented doing what you and stopcrazy just said....

I've set time based control
I've set off Peak period from 12 midday-3pm
I've set Peak from 3pm till 9 pm
I've set off peak from 9pm till 0700 (so it will discharge if necessary) off peak
I've set Peak again 0700 till midday (In an attempt to stop it charging during that time)
I've set grid charging "no" (I don't want the darn thing charging ever off the grid..(particularly when the sun is out pumping!)

It's 10.53 am here...

I reset the app (with the new settings above at around 10.00)... the robot sat quiet... all looked good for around 15-20 min... not charging.. not charging.. then darn it all.. KBOOM... it switched on started charging...

Gdarn it..😂 at 10.53...the darn Powerwall is pulling 3.9Kw and charging already... despite the above settings! see what I mean?

I don't want the battery to ever... ever... charge from 0700 until midday...

I want the powerwall to only start charging after midday! That is the best outcome for my particular set up and orientation.. in this part of the world...

Why is that too much to ask?!

How the heck do I stop it doing that unless I have direct control of when to "start the charging"...?

Last edited:
We have a prevailing weather pattern my part of the world.. for near on 10-12 months... there is othen mist/fog..... ie cloud cover from sunrise until midday... yes there is "light"..sure..but it's weak light.. not nearly enough power off the panels to cover a full 5Kw rate of charge off an 8Kwh system.. then the clouds break up around midday> the sun starts pumping full on 6-7Kwhr until sunset..

See what I mean?... how the heck does the Tesla AI in the US (or wherever it is based) know that...exactly what is going on at every single hr of every day, in every single dwelling ...all around the world?...

I know this particular local weather pattern... 'cause it's my property.. and I'm here!!!

The inputs to the current "model" ... when it's best to charge/discharge should be boundless...

To base the algo on one simple sensor based at the main board (only sensing power in/out)... when that sensor can break/misread/not be placed properly/drop out due to wifi/be slow to respond/go down with the internet/not be able to be physically fitted etc etc (put in yr partic specific reason here) is frankly mind blowingly stupid...

Then to lock down control, so the end user can't properly adjust it... to their particular circumstances is ...well... unforgivable.

Actually it's not even their (as in Tesla's) sensor! Its from a third party!

What if that company (third party) goes out of business?

Why is it a crime to simply want more direct control over my battery?!

I hope the engineers at Tesla are reading this thread...

The hubris...

Anyway

Thanks all for the help...

Last edited: