Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's shocking Tesla does not hand over direct control of their PW in the app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is this?

Is there any logical reason (engineering/warranty/cost etc) why Tesla would prevent the end user to direct (via the app)

1/ When to charge their battery? and

2/ How rapidly to charge their battery?

Is Elon Musk so arrogant that he thinks the AI in his app is so intelligent it knows everything about how/when/why a customer might want to charge their battery and when to discharge it?

This is why we still have human aircraft pilots BTW.

Sometimes AI , sensors and computer programs just aren't smart enough to know every single nuance in every single situation and deployment.

So if Tesla even listens (which I doubt)

Please give us control of our equipment we purchased (over 15K of hard earned for me)

Is that too much to ask?

Thank You

Your local utility or other regulations may prevent charging from the grid and thus only be able to charge via excess solar. Or whoever installed it set it up wrong and locked out the grid charging option.

In regards to charging speed, there should be no reason to slow down its charging form what it’s capable of. The maximum speed it charges at will depend on how much solar is available and if it can pull from the grid or not.

Your local utility or other regulations may prevent charging from the grid and thus only be able to charge via excess solar. Or whoever installed it set it up wrong and locked out the grid charging option.

In regards to charging speed, there should be no reason to slow down its charging form what it’s capable of. The maximum speed it charges at will depend on how much solar is available and if it can pull from the grid or not.
This is all well and good if the sensors are providing accurate information to the AI/API/app. In my case (for various reasons) they are not.
I have explored the reasons, know what they are and unfortunately in my particular setting they are difficult to physically change.
So I want more direct control within the app
Why is this a crime?
It's my powerwall. I own it and paid for it. It's my house.
Every other load I have in my house, I have direct control over when to switch it on off and in some cases (like electric panel heaters, and pumps) how much load to draw. I often make these decisions based on the solar production - that I am observing myself.
Sometimes I literally go outside see if the suns out. What's the big deal? It's my site. And I know the local conditions.
So why should the powerwall be any different?
Am I expected to redesign the entire house around the powerwall?
The analogy is the 737max.
Sensors were providing the wrong information- and the computers driving the aircraft acted accordingly
Wrong sensor information > Wrong outcome.
It is entirely appropriate to hand control back to a human who may know more about individual circumstances than the robot.
That is all I am asking
Cheers

Last edited:
So I will go back to the initial questions

1/ Is there any engineering or physical reason (damage to battery etc/safety) why I should be in effect told by Tesla when I can or can't charge the battery?

2/ Is there any engineering or physical reason (damage to battery etc/safety) why I should not be allowed to charge it at a slower rate?

We all have direct control over these variables charging an EV battery right?

So why not a Powerwall...?

So why not a Powerwall...?
Because Tesla is selling a consumer-focused device to a market that by and large doesn’t care about the features you’re asking for so they haven’t invested the resources to develop the functionality. It’s really pretty simple.

Plus that and the aforementioned utility restrictions that are highly variable depending on locality.

For what it’s worth, it’s very easy for me to tell my powerwalls to charge when I want them to via the options exposed (time based control, reserve setting, and the grid charging toggle).

You are a power user. The design criteria is probably around “install and forget”. So no, probably no reason other than a design decision, and probably had zero to do with Elon.

I would personally really like to be able to set max charge limit myself but I can’t do it.

Because Tesla is selling a consumer-focused device to a market that by and large doesn’t care about the features you’re asking for so they haven’t invested the resources to develop the functionality. It’s really pretty simple.

Plus that and the aforementioned utility restrictions that are highly variable depending on locality.

For what it’s worth, it’s very easy for me to tell my powerwalls to charge when I want them to via the options exposed (time based control, reserve setting, and the grid charging toggle).
With all due respect that is not you "telling your powerwalls to charge". They are charging on parameters set by Tesla

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I get that, but what’s your use case?
If you search my previous calls for help, you will see I have a two phase power system. Battery, Gateway and Solar on one phase. It was difficult due to the need to retrofit the power system (and the fact that most of the solar falls on the phase where that is the only place for battery location out back) - to place a gateway and battery at the main switchboard at the front of the house where the power line comes in. Think hi density urban apartment wall to wall dwelling with garage and storage out the back (where the battery and gateway is). A long way away from where the power comes into the property. Not everyone has a house like you Americans with a large garage at the front of the dwelling (obvious location for batteries at attached gateway) where the main power lines (and therefore power company meter) come into the house. So I need a way to control when the powerwall charges (I need this between 12mid day and 3pm - when the sun is hi and I am receiving maximum solar from my 8Kw array). Otherwise with the powerwall pulling 5kw as a load early in the day (I can't reduce that load to a lower power draw in the app), on it's phase, when it is charging say between 9am and midday (and I can;t stop it doing that unless I turn it off), grid power (which I am being charged for) is fed into the other phase - instead of this other phase being balanced (drawing power from the solar). Adding a second gateway at the meter would be problematic (space restriction) in any case is not idea as the app splits in two with two gateways (they are not seen as "one" system in the app) and the other solution (adding a wifi sensor at the main switchboard would be flaky as there is not good wifi at the front of the house). By far the simplest solution is to just allow me to manually switch on the battery at midday and/or spread it's charging load more evenly across the maximum charge supply time period from the panels.

Last edited:
BTW Tesla needs to sort this problem.

Either by having a way better sensor system or the ability to merge two gateways seamlessly in the app, or allow the customer to directly control battery charging to suit their location nuances.

The reason it needs to be sorted is like I say - not everyone lives like you Americans in houses with large garages up front of the dwelling (where the power supply comes in)

There are many many dwellings (in other parts of the world... think hi density cities and Europe/China) where the only possible location for battery storage is a long long way from the main power meter...

In order to offer a global solution to climate change (at the end of the day it needs to be global) , what does Tesla propose to do about that?

Cheers

Last edited:
All these measures are just an attempt to outsmart the app bot.
Of course I have "tried" them..
They don't work
In any case...even if they do (and they don't).. I don't want to play games with the API and app bot...
That is not what I want to do
I want to set the time when to turn on the battery to start charging
I want to set the charge rate

regardless of the power sensing coming from the gateway

Where is the precise time setting I set into the app..?

Tesla PW.... "turn on at 1200 midday"...
Where is that app setting?

Tesla PW.... "charge at 3kWhr rate"....
Where is that app setting?

Thanks

Last edited: