Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
arrrrgggghhh this car is so frustrating!

another black screen and I suspect another "update fail" per Tesla when I get it addressed or is it the MCU???!!! I've had an issue connecting to my car via app and I thought a reset may fix it and I also had feeling that a reset might black screen my car again. Can't win either way! So now black screen and "wait while systems power up" ROUND 2!

Note: I also had an update available on my car for a few days that I didn't want to do because I was afraid it was going to black screen my car again.

They make good money replacing a $10 chip (with rework and test probably under $200 to refurb a failed emmc MCU1) and then selling the refurb for $1,800, plus profit on hourly rate, plus they get the old one back because they threaten to charge $500 or $1000 core charge if not (or simply refuse to give it back), so they another MCU to make money on. How is that a massive problem to Tesla? Heck, maybe Elon will patent this as "generating post-sale revenue stream business method" - revolutionizing the car industry.

They should be installing the $77 Swissbit eMMC, and then charging $1867, or does that make too much sense.

(actually more like $50 with the volume buying power Tesla would have. SFEM064GB1EA1TO-I-HG-111-STD Swissbit | Mouser )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: viper2ko
The 64GB chip won't work. The CID/T3 doesn't have that extra addressing line. 32GB max.
How did you upgrade yours to 64GB? In an article on diyelectriccar.com (below, it's been taken down since, I used the wayback machine when it went offline) you said you used 64GB part for your replacement. Did the most significant address line just float and you got lucky it always resolved to a 1 or 0?
Repairing the Black MCU Screen.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is you still get the benefit of better wear leveling with a larger chip, even if you can't address it all. So the chip will last longer.
Not just that. You can configure the 64GB as a 32GB pSLC part (Swissbit calls it reliable mode), which offers increased reliability (longer data retention, more writes, etc) and is actually recommended by Swissbit for all long lived embedded applications.

I have been too busy to swap my MCU1 emmc, but hoping to carve out enough time over the holidays to actually do it. My plan is to try to configure the 64GB part in reliable mode, then trim the entire part, then clone the original 8GB content and leave the remaining 24GB trimmed for wear leveling to use. Between having it in pSLC mode and 75% trimmed, even if Tesla doesn't do proper trimming, the emmc should outlast the car.

Reactions: .jg.
I am not responding to you whitex because I am not interested in arguing.
No argueing needed. Since I plan to use a 64GB part, I was genuinely interested how come it worked for you few months ago but wouldn't work today, so that I can avoid any pitfalls such as a floating/unconnected address pin. Given the tone of your answer, my guess is you wrote about having used 64GB part but never actually did it, hence my question sounded like an argument to you.

fortunate for ESA. 2nd round of black screen, got my MCU1 replaced with new MCU1 with LTE. I argued to waive the $200 deductible and they obliged since this is why I brought the car in a couple months ago. Here's to another 5 years but hopefully more...

Good luck to all! I would invest in upgrading your emmc if you are out of warranty. It sounds like a few members on TMC offer this service.

Reactions: TonyT
Looks like mine failed today. No warning signs at all. Was planning to do preventative emmc replace in the summer. But I guess that was too much to hope for. Went into a store came out to a black screen. Have not had map issues, music, nothing. Kinda pissed even though I knew it was going to happen at some point. December 2015 90D. 80,000 miles.

No heat is going to suck and no appointments for 2 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Looks like mine failed today. No warning signs at all. Was planning to do preventative emmc replace in the summer. But I guess that was too much to hope for. Went into a store came out to a black screen. Have not had map issues, music, nothing. Kinda pissed even though I knew it was going to happen at some point. December 2015 90D. 80,000 miles.

That will be pretty dangerous to drive. The windows will be fogged up. You might want to try giving them a call which isn't the easiest thing (to get ahold of someone). When mine failed -- I was able to get in the same day by calling. The app didn't work -- so not sure when the next appointment actually would have been.

Try to drive there, this might be a case where they let you drop off the car right away. However if you don't have warranty, We can help you get repaired in about 1 week.

Not just that. You can configure the 64GB as a 32GB pSLC part (Swissbit calls it reliable mode), which offers increased reliability (longer data retention, more writes, etc) and is actually recommended by Swissbit for all long lived embedded applications.

I have been too busy to swap my MCU1 emmc, but hoping to carve out enough time over the holidays to actually do it. My plan is to try to configure the 64GB part in reliable mode, then trim the entire part, then clone the original 8GB content and leave the remaining 24GB trimmed for wear leveling to use. Between having it in pSLC mode and 75% trimmed, even if Tesla doesn't do proper trimming, the emmc should outlast the car.

Pretty sure the whole chip is set to enhance mode so you get a 32 gig partition, which 8 will be used for the car, and the rest is auto leveled.

That should work fine. I have the 64 gig in a few cars. Actually for experimenting, I just put a old 128 gig in mine (still pretty good health). It will be going into my car soon. The swissbit generally avg 20 MB/s when I test. The chip I took out was about 700 K/sec!

1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 27.2404 s, 38.5 MB/s

emmc-vitals.sh
manfid : 0x000011
name : 128G32
hwrev : 0x0
cid : 1101003132384733320067e01f922300
serial : 0x67e01f92
date : 02/2016
fwrev : 0x0400000000000000
life_est_a :
life_est_b :
pre_eol_info :
ftl_error :
mlc_avg_blk_erases :
mlc_rated_blk_erases : 3000
rsvd_blks :

This is not a definitive test, but looks like it's working.

• Informative
Reactions: NoirMS and .jg.
Babydoc - you do know that Jason in Hickory can get you taken care of for $400? Get a one way rental at the airport if needed. $39 on Orbitz for a random midweek Jan rental. Plan it with a vacation. Drop off car in Hickory and fly out of town. That rental cost is cheaper than a RDU uber from Burlington and cheaper than parking for a week at RDU (even doubling it for both directions).
I haven't checked with Jason if an airport drop off would be included but that is my plan.
Deer Valley skiing in January.... Hmm.
I have no big issues though so I am waiting it out.
I drove the 2hrs to Hickory last Wednesday. Jason replaced the board/memory and out the door good as new after 2hrs and $587.43. His shop is awesome and he's a good guy so if you have Tesla issues give them a holler. 057 Technology
He has a ridiculous Frankenstein in his shop. I won't steal his thunder (he let me take some pics) . . . but geez!

Reactions: .jg. and thecloud
I drove the 2hrs to Hickory last Wednesday. Jason replaced the board/memory and out the door good as new after 2hrs and $587.43. His shop is awesome and he's a good guy so if you have Tesla issues give them a holler. 057 Technology
He has a ridiculous Frankenstein in his shop. I won't steal his thunder (he let me take some pics) . . . but geez!

Perhaps a future road trip is in order. I have less than a year left on my warranty. Probably makes more sense to drive down to Orange County. @TonyT how much do you charge for this service? Does anyone know of anyone in the Portland area that does this?

My MCU1 2017 July model S 75k miles died last Sunday. Won’t charge, heater stuck on. Car at SC now and they said it needs a MCU replacement with a refurb MCU1 for $3000. Don’t know what to say, it is out of battery and won’t charge. I am a huge advocate for their cars and mission, got 2 family members to go Tesla and even ran a group test drive event at my company. This just feels wrong... I wish there is a better way.

My MCU1 2017 July model S 75k miles died last Sunday. Won’t charge, heater stuck on. Car at SC now and they said it needs a MCU replacement with a refurb MCU1 for $3000. Don’t know what to say, it is out of battery and won’t charge. I am a huge advocate for their cars and mission, got 2 family members to go Tesla and even ran a group test drive event at my company. This just feels wrong... I wish there is a better way.

Hopefully when you say that it’s $3000, that was just the cost that Tesla told you, but it’s covered under warranty since it’s a 2017?