Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's even worse if they do read these boards and see this MASSIVE problem yet do nothing about it.
They make good money replacing a $10 chip (with rework and test probably under $200 to refurb a failed emmc MCU1) and then selling the refurb for $1,800, plus profit on hourly rate, plus they get the old one back because they threaten to charge $500 or $1000 core charge if not (or simply refuse to give it back), so they another MCU to make money on. How is that a massive problem to Tesla? Heck, maybe Elon will patent this as "generating post-sale revenue stream business method" - revolutionizing the car industry.

I have another bigger issue that I'm going through with service but i won't write any details till it's over.
Following up on this... so I guess it’s over and not worth the fight. I am sooo disappointed. Sooo between take in and my pulling up into the Service parking lot. An employee drove the car around the lot and I checked in with SA as he directed. Well at take in walkthrough I notice a license plate bolt dimple and white paint and cracked paint on rear bumper. SA can’t find out who drove it into the garage. I’m asking for the lot security footage. To my surprise they tell me they have no cameras outside!!! Whhhaaat! When I go pickup the car myself I’ll check it out. And they said if I want the footage from the inside cams that I would need a subpoena and that HQ handles all that footage. Service center never fails to disappoint me. I’m going to pickup my damaged car in next few days and i’ll Survey the security camera and angles.

I highly suspect it was damaged with it the 10min out of my eyes because I just cleaned my car last week and I always park with my back facing a curb or something where no one can ram behind me. I barely drive it! Also, note that without the center screen there is no backup camera! So I really think there was an oh sugar moment by who ever backed it up into another car in the lot.

Advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
They make good money replacing a $10 chip (with rework and test probably under $200 to refurb a failed emmc MCU1) and then selling the refurb for $1,800, plus profit on hourly rate, plus they get the old one back because they threaten to charge $500 or $1000 core charge if not (or simply refuse to give it back), so they another MCU to make money on. How is that a massive problem to Tesla? Heck, maybe Elon will patent this as "generating post-sale revenue stream business method" - revolutionizing the car industry.

I got rid of my MCU1 car yesterday and I am super relieved because having to go through this nonsense would send me into a mental institution.

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Picked up my car yesterday. Another 2.5hrs of my life poof. On v10 now and did not require a mcu1 replacement. This morning i see an update available. It’s the 2019.32.12.7 update. I will update this evening.

When I picked up my car the car was in ‘service mode’ and the cubby below the center screen was unsnapped and hanging down. I guess that’s where they plug in to forced update to v10. So add that lack of attention to detail to my very good feeling my car was damaging by the service center but they are playing hardball with the security footage. When I requested to speak to management and I would like a one on one with them. I kept getting blown off and no answers. I contemplated calling the police but It’s not worth the fight anymore. Time and money. I’ll keep my current Teslas. I love then still for now but I highly doubt I’ll be buying a new one again with their promises, bait and switch, kool aid etc. I’m done supporting this.

Big tip! Always stay with your car until take in photos are documented!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Age and mileage is a factor, I completely agree with that. I'm just saying there are additional factors we don't know (I believe temp also plays a factor). Would be great if we can figure it out. I'm all for that.

Temperature was a factor for my car.

My 2014 P85DL started acting up summer 2018. Weekly loading errors for streaming audio, intermittent (non-patterned) GPS failure unrelated to 3G connection status, slow downloads of updates, and inconsistent app connection. It appeared to be fine in Fall 2018 but started flaking out again in early 2019 (right after warranty expired). More of the problems above but the instrument cluster (IC) would randomly not come on. I learned to reboot and didn't think much of it but then it started happening more often in Spring 2019 and then almost daily in the Summer. When I scheduled service, I got a tech call where they told me to do reset my trip odometer, but then he also noted "your car is doing way too much logging." After a service, they said they could replace the MCU (out of pocket) or I could just reboot when it happens. I went the cheap route. Then it freaked me out in September when for the first time the IC went out while I was driving. It would work again when I rebooted but that was a little bit disconcerting because I would just be cruising along on Autopilot and it would disengage AP and go dark. (Someone in a thread was saying it isn't a safety issue . . . that's a safety issue). The vast majority of my problems occurred when the outside temp was 80+ or the ambient temperature in the car was high . . . although I did have a few failures in the past 2 months when it was not.

A ranger service in November likely did the double firmware update. The IC would still fail on occasion but it was less frequent . . . but it was also cooler. The other thing I noticed was that the MCU would boot per norm but the IC would take much longer to boot. I even rebooted the car a couple of times when I didn't need to because I thought the IC wasn't going to come on. Last Friday, I was driving home on AP when the MCU switched to the T logo. Everything still worked (I think) just no display. When I came to an intersection, I rebooted and the MCU went dark and the media stopped. I tried to reboot again and the steering controls no longer worked (no reboot). The heated seats and HVAC still work but remain on the same setting. It's been like that since then. The battery discharges at just over 1% per hour. It drives fine and Supercharges (but only displays percentage, it does not show rate), but virtually all MCU functions are gone. Curiously, the app connects better now than it has in the past 6 months.

My 2014 P85DL started acting up summer 2018. Weekly loading errors for streaming audio, intermittent (non-patterned) GPS failure unrelated to 3G connection status, slow downloads of updates, and inconsistent app connection. It appeared to be fine in Fall 2018 but started flaking out again in early 2019 (right after warranty expired). More of the problems above but the instrument cluster (IC) would randomly not come on. I learned to reboot and didn't think much of it but then it started happening more often in Spring 2019 and then almost daily in the Summer. When I scheduled service, I got a tech call where they told me to do reset my trip odometer, but then he also noted "your car is doing way too much logging." After a service, they said they could replace the MCU (out of pocket) or I could just reboot when it happens. I went the cheap route. Then it freaked me out in September when for the first time the IC went out while I was driving. It would work again when I rebooted but that was a little bit disconcerting because I would just be cruising along on Autopilot and it would disengage AP and go dark. (Someone in a thread was saying it isn't a safety issue . . . that's a safety issue). The vast majority of my problems occurred when the outside temp was 80+ or the ambient temperature in the car was high . . . although I did have a few failures in the past 2 months when it was not.

A ranger service in November likely did the double firmware update. The IC would still fail on occasion but it was less frequent . . . but it was also cooler. The other thing I noticed was that the MCU would boot per norm but the IC would take much longer to boot. I even rebooted the car a couple of times when I didn't need to because I thought the IC wasn't going to come on. Last Friday, I was driving home on AP when the MCU switched to the T logo. Everything still worked (I think) just no display. When I came to an intersection, I rebooted and the MCU went dark and the media stopped. I tried to reboot again and the steering controls no longer worked (no reboot). The heated seats and HVAC still work but remain on the same setting. It's been like that since then. The battery discharges at just over 1% per hour. It drives fine and Supercharges (but only displays percentage, it does not show rate), but virtually all MCU functions are gone. Curiously, the app connects better now than it has in the past 6 months.
Did you file a NHSTA complaint?

I thought the app talks to the MCU??

Did you file a NHSTA complaint?
I'm a Tesla fan so I just want it fixed. And technically Tesla can still make the argument that since we are 'supposed' to keep our hands on the wheel and be prepared to take over at any moment . . . it isn't a safety issue. This is off-topic but I LOVED my SP85D when I didn't understand Autopilot. I did all kinds of things that I won't recount here. But now that I truly understand AP . . . I don't trust it at all. Level 2 is a bad idea and Tesla's version may be the worst. Cadillac SuperCruise and Audi ADAS are better, because there is never any doubt that YOU are driving the car. AP is good enough to create a sense of comfort most of the time, when in reality you shouldn't be that comfortable at Level 2.

My local SC has almost always been good to me . . . to the extent Tesla can provide service. Complaining about this car is like complaining your European model girlfriend has difficult to understand English and has expensive tastes . . . part of the package. I expect to have to replace my MCU and eat the cost. But agree with the general consensus that Tesla should probably be more forthcoming. Offer people an upgrade that most of us would take such as remanufactured (MCU1-2/LTE/64GB) for $1000-1500. Most of us want it and would pay for it.

I thought the app talks to the MCU??
Absolutely. Which suggests Tesla really has a problem that should be easy to solve if they cared. The Tesla app has sucked for me much of the past year. But since my MCU (display/functions) went out on Friday, it is downright snappy. The app has NEVER worked this well. Then again the MCU won't do ANYTHING else so guess there's plenty of bandwidth/processing power.

Reactions: Droschke
I'm a Tesla fan so I just want it fixed. And technically Tesla can still make the argument that since we are 'supposed' to keep our hands on the wheel and be prepared to take over at any moment . . . it isn't a safety issue. This is off-topic but I LOVED my SP85D when I didn't understand Autopilot. I did all kinds of things that I won't recount here. But now that I truly understand AP . . . I don't trust it at all. Level 2 is a bad idea and Tesla's version may be the worst. Cadillac SuperCruise and Audi ADAS are better, because there is never any doubt that YOU are driving the car. AP is good enough to create a sense of comfort most of the time, when in reality you shouldn't be that comfortable at Level 2.

My local SC has almost always been good to me . . . to the extent Tesla can provide service. Complaining about this car is like complaining your European model girlfriend has difficult to understand English and has expensive tastes . . . part of the package. I expect to have to replace my MCU and eat the cost. But agree with the general consensus that Tesla should probably be more forthcoming. Offer people an upgrade that most of us would take such as remanufactured (MCU1-2/LTE/64GB) for $1000-1500. Most of us want it and would pay for it.

You can also get it fix now, since your out of warranty, I suggest doing it sooner than later with the symptoms. Right now your files should be fully recoverable. We can upgrade you to a 32 Gig eMMC at a fraction of the cost of Tesla replacement.

Babydoc - you do know that Jason in Hickory can get you taken care of for $400? Get a one way rental at the airport if needed. $39 on Orbitz for a random midweek Jan rental. Plan it with a vacation. Drop off car in Hickory and fly out of town. That rental cost is cheaper than a RDU uber from Burlington and cheaper than parking for a week at RDU (even doubling it for both directions).
I haven't checked with Jason if an airport drop off would be included but that is my plan.
Deer Valley skiing in January.... Hmm.
I have no big issues though so I am waiting it out.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Babydoc - you do know that Jason in Hickory can get you taken care of for $400? Get a one way rental at the airport if needed. $39 on Orbitz for a random midweek Jan rental. Plan it with a vacation. Drop off car in Hickory and fly out of town. That rental cost is cheaper than a RDU uber from Burlington and cheaper than parking for a week at RDU (even doubling it for both directions).
I haven't checked with Jason if an airport drop off would be included but that is my plan.
Deer Valley skiing in January.... Hmm.
I have no big issues though so I am waiting it out.

Yeah, if you on that side of the country for sure! Or for anyone closer to this side... If you drop off your car with me, I can drop you off at Disney and car will be ready after enjoying a week at Disney! Not only will you be at the happiest place in the world, you will be the happiest Tesla owner!

Yeah, if you on that side of the country for sure! Or for anyone closer to this side... If you drop off your car with me, I can drop you off at Disney and car will be ready after enjoying a week at Disney! Not only will you be at the happiest place in the world, you will be the happiest Tesla owner!
Of course, it would be less expensive to pay Tesla the $2500. :D