Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd seen this before. This Reddit user had the same thing happen to him, just on the other AC pin:

J1772 adaptor over heating issue? Charge in the public charging place for 2 hours and adaptor become so hot and melt, charging port appear to be fine, : teslamotors

Most EVSEs have thermal cutoff sensors in the plug to prevent something like this (including the Tesla UMC). There are also sensors inside the Tesla charge port. I wonder if there is one in the J1772 adapter as well; if not, the adapter would effectively defeat the sensors in the port ...

a redesigned port replacement for my car --- that is still a problem, although since then the manual release cable has done the trick.
Do you mean that the manual release wasn't in the original design? Or that the manual release by itself wasn't enough to fix the problem you encountered that first time?

I had not known about this if it is the former, I assumed the manual release I have was the original design. I once had a problem in sub-freezing weather disengaging the SC cable, and the manual release fixed it straight away. Mine is original manufacture circa Aug 2018. If that wasn't in the original port design that was a serious flaw.

I do on rare occasion have an issue with the J-1772 adaptor requiring I use the manual release. Some condition will lead to unlatching the J-1772 cable only momentarily taking the T light blue, then before I can get the adaptor out the T goes red and the adaptor is locked in. Not sure what it is, it is fairly rare. Once it is like that plugging the J-1772 back on and then removing it won't work, it repeats the same red T behavior until I pop the trunk and manually release to get the adaptor out.

On the double-edged part. Failure of the car side is just one vehicle, unless it manages to somehow became unattachable from the charging station. Failure on the charger side for a public charger is failure impacting all vehicles that show up expecting to use it. You want the moving parts where it is less moving and the failure impacts the least number of vehicles. It doesn't mean nothing will ever go wrong but over the long run it'll give the best overall outcome across the fleet/users at large.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I went to the service center and they traded out my melted adapter for a new one, covered under warranty. YAY !

I asked the service guy about the updates since I don't have WIFI at my apartment, and he said that despite not having WIFI, I should still get the notification, but I would need WIFI to download and install.

Man, I just got back from the service center for exactly the same issue. They told me that the adapter wasn't covered and I had to buy a new one for $100. On a car that's less than a month old. I'm pretty annoyed right now.

Your Model 3 will use more of a 32A (40A breaker) J-1772's current capability than most (all?) plug-in EVs out there. The onboard AC->DC is capable of handling up to 48A if you're vehicle is LR, so it'll use all 32A for extended periods while others that are listed as 32A drawing won't pull that full amount for long periods, sometimes they won't pull that full 32A at all. It is quite possible this connector had a poor connection issue that was borderline okay for all other vehicles but when your Model 3 was drawing it simply got too hot.

Concur with @SageBrush that you definitely should let whoever looks after the charger know. Maybe even write a note to leave on the charger itself for now, that it may not be safe to use?

Of note,.. the J1772 adapter that comes with Tesla's is rated for up to 80 amps which is what the upper limit of the J1772 standard is.

Man, I just got back from the service center for exactly the same issue. They told me that the adapter wasn't covered and I had to buy a new one for $100. On a car that's less than a month old. I'm pretty annoyed right now.
Well homeboy said it was covered under my warranty and my Tesla receipt states, "Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty". They were very nice and i was in / out in 5 mins. I'd go back and ask for a mgr or something.

I've had my car for 2 weeks and Tesla's FedEx-ing me a new UMC since mine seems to be faulty, no visit required so I'd be surprised if the J1772 isn't a warranty item.

Reactions: calidreamz808
I had similar problem like you guys. when trying to insert J1772 adapter it was not going in. I looked inside of it and there was damage/melting around one of the pins. Drove to Tesla, and tech said as a courtesy we will exchange it this one time. Took my VIN down. Said next time I will need to take it up with a owner of those charging stalls. I got lucky. He did mention, when down charging, remove adapter with charging cable first rather than disengaging cable and then manually remove J1772 adapter.

I had my J1772 adapter melt on Tuesday. I was working at a Panera while my car was charging and time flew by. 3 hours later I come up to my car and using the app I told it to stop charging and unlock the port. I then put some stuff in the trunk before pulling the cable and adapter out. I reached for the adapter to remove it from the cable and realized it was hot. Then I suddenly realized it was VERY hot when my hand started hurting. I had scalded my hand like I had picked up a too hot mug of coffee.

When I separated the plug and adapter a string of melted plastic connected the two. I stood there dumbfounded for a bit before putting the adapter in my car and walking into the local ATT store to ask for some paper and tape to mark the charging stall out of order (Volta spot #8 at the Veranda shopping center in Concord, CA). I then reported the stall as damaged through the Volta app w/picture and called them shortly after. Left a message because no one picked up and told them I would be speaking with Tesla about it. I then tried calling Tesla. Got their roadside assistance and was sorely disappointed in the conversation. The person on the phone didn't seem to understand and then warned me to "put my hand close to the charger" in the future to detect if it is hot, for my 'security'. It was a very odd conversation.

Fast toward to today and Volta connects with me. They replaced the charging cable on the charging stall and wanted to discuss everything I stated above. I had scheduled a service appointment when I couldn't get anyone live on the phone with an ounce of sense. They wanted to know if I had spoken with Tesla yet and, if so, what they said. I was frustrated with not being able to charge on the chargers at work without the adapter so I was headed to my local Tesla service center when I was on the phone with them.

The interactions with the staff at the Tesla Service center was disappointing. I spoke with one person, who would barely make eye contact with me, who insisted that this was not a warranty issue and that I had to pay for a new adapter. After some back and forth she said that I could pay for the adapter and leave the old one with her for her technician to open up. If he found a short they would refund me the cost as a warranty replacement. She still would barely make eye contact with me so I was feeling off about the entire situation. I paid for the replacement against my better judgment and took the melted adapter with me. I'm not deciding what to do about it. This thing was severely melted and smelled less like melting plastic and more like ash after a fire. I'm lucky my car didn't go up in flames given the smell of this thing.

The Volta rep was very interested in which model of J1772 adapter I had. An A series or a B series (The letter at the end of the part number, I guess - P/N: 1067348-00-A). The melted one is an A series. The replacement I just had to purchase was a B series.

Any thoughts or advice? There wasn't anything in apparent disrepair with the Volta charger. Everything seemed fine when I left the car.

Attachments

• IMG_2883 2.jpg
    IMG_2883 2.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 234
@tggallant - this sucks, thanks for sharing the story. I assume your goal is to get money back from Tesla or Volta? I had better experience with Tesla. Maybe try calling corporate office again? It’s a grey area in my mind as Tesla might shift blame on charging company which in turn will say not us or policy stats use it at your own risk. Glad you are ok and the car. Try using different stall and or make sure adapter is fully Latch to charger. Maybe look into charger to make sure it’s not damaged from prior use.

Your Model 3 will use more of a 32A (40A breaker) J-1772's current capability than most (all?) plug-in EVs out there. The onboard AC->DC is capable of handling up to 48A if you're vehicle is LR, so it'll use all 32A for extended periods while others that are listed as 32A drawing won't pull that full amount for long periods, sometimes they won't pull that full ?

Does the SR pull less?

Also does the car charger/ contacts have protection to prevent melting or did OP get lucky it was just the adapter?

Does anyone recall the charge current they were using that burned the plug? I'd say its exceptionally likely dirty contacts in the public charger is to blame, but the adapter does appear to melt easier than I would expect. The plastic melting isnt really the issue, the high contact resistance causing the heating is the problem. It could be partly due to the adapter, but more likely its the wear on the contacts in the handle from the public station.