Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar to go all-electric from 2025 with Tesla Model 3 rival possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/353006/jaguar-go-all-electric-2025-tesla-model-3-rival-possible

The electric XJ was the next electric Jag. They have now dropped that project to start with a clean sheet for a new platform.

Glass half full ?

JLR are in a very mixed up transition at the moment. A few weeks a go they were on a photo shoot in our area to film their latest "secret" V8 version of the new Defender ... to be released in 2022 ... a new V8 model!! Doesn't quite seem to fit with the latest direction.

I suspect all the big non-EV manufacturers are re-planning their future car developments, both in light of widespread future regulatory changes that have been announced, and because there seems to be a real surge in interest in switching to EVs, driven in large part by the impact that Tesla has had in the market, I suspect. More and more people, especially in the more expensive car market, are beginning to realise that they can get better comfort and performance from an EV than they can from a conventional car. The fact that they can get a bit of "feel good factor" from not burning fossil fuel probably helps, but probably isn't the prime driver, I think.

I don’t think it’s hugely surprising about cancelling the XJ as it hasn’t sold well for some time and sale of competitors, like market leader Mercedes S class, have dropped dramatically in the last five years (S class is down by about 50 % in North America). While some will have switched to a Model S, there will be a fair amount will have gone the SUV route, a trend seen in other sectors of the car market. So it makes sense for Jaguar to prioritise the cars and SUVs on the same EV platform rather than continue to develop a separate platform for the XJ.

Given JLR are positioning themselves to be a low volume luxury EV brand, there’s zero chance of them producing a Model 3 competitor.

I’d expect to see luxury SUVs and GTs from them. They obviously don’t think the saloon market is viable for them as they’ve canned the EV XJ.

I wonder if they will even survive the EV transition? It might all be a bit too much for their core middle-aged customer base. My neighbour is a big Jaguar fan and already talking about keeping his current petrol Jag forever. He did test drive an iPace and said he missed the exhaust sound. Oh well.

I wonder if they will even survive the EV transition? It might all be a bit too much for their core middle-aged customer base. My neighbour is a big Jaguar fan and already talking about keeping his current petrol Jag forever. He did test drive an iPace and said he missed the exhaust sound. Oh well.

I'm not middle aged although I still can't bear to part with my XJ8. It's currently garaged, sounds so nice with the V8 with straight through exhaust. Biggest thing I miss about EV ownership is the engine sound although there's no way I'm going to recreate it artificially.

20170628_214745 (1).jpg

Reactions: Neilio
Music to my ears:) I've had Discoveries of one form or another since 2001 and have been putting off changing the D4..... I want an EV, but at the moment there is no capable option. I was considering a D5 as a stop gap, but my OCD just can't handle the asymmetrical arse end!

Shame they are Indian!

I still find myself drawn towards justifying buying an i-Pace, though! Sure, it's not very efficient, but most of my charging is at home, either at the cheap rate or free, from solar, and anyway the running cost is tiny when compared to depreciation, so arguably the poorer efficiency gets lost in the noise as far as costs go. The slightly poorer range wouldn't be a problem, as the lowest I've every run the Model 3 down to is about 25%. The main issue is that the i-Pace is a lot of money for what it is, really. Like the Audi, there seems to be a hefty badge premium on the price. A one or two year old one looks tempting, though, given that a fair bit of the depreciation hit seems to be in the first year.

I was thrilled with my LR and I am really, really looking forward to the P arriving in May. I am encouraged by this announcement from JLR (not just for the prospect of a proper 4x4 EV see post #10 in this thread). It confirms that when the lease on the P comes to an end I should have some real alternatives/contenders to consider - mind you those alternatives will have to be pretty damn good to turn my head, I (like all of us I suspect) have lived with common faults, issues, etc through every car I have previously owned, so I can't get too excited about the shortcomings of the Tesla and chose to live with them.