Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno drives the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the drive/review was pretty good. Jay didn't seem super excited but it was a overall positive review.

Even if Tesla wasn't going to make it in his mind a few years ago, it would have been a collectible.

FWIW I think Jay meant the auto industry in general didn't think Tesla would survive long enough to produce the Model S. He could have been in that boat as well but based on the Roadster drive/review I don't think he was.

Also, I noticed the "Creep" feature was grayed out as "On". Was it not-yet-enabled when the drive was filmed or is it not possible to disable creep? :confused:

Not just stopped. You have to be in Park to change it. I turned mine on (briefly) to test it, but turned it off after I almost creeped forward into a column in a parking lot after I stopped but forgot to put it in Park. You would think that would be hard, but the car trains you to get out of the car with it still being 'on'. If you have the car in drive and you open the door, you get a warning tone. Without creep, you get the tone, you put it in park. With creep, the second you lift off the brake you move, so don't space out. :)

Last edited:
I am fairly certain you have to be at a complete stop to toggle the 'creep' setting.

Not just stopped. You have to be in Park to change it. I turned mine on (briefly) to test it, but turned it off after I almost creeped forward into a column in a parking lot after I stopped but forgot to put it in Park. You would think that would be hard, but the car trains you to get out of the car with it still being 'on'. If you have the car in drive and you open the door, you get a warning tone. Without creep, you get the tone, you put it in park. With creep, the second you lift off the brake you move, so don't space out. :)

That makes perfect sense why it was grayed out, then, as they were in motion. :redface:

My impression was that he was a bit overwhelmed by the newness, and hesitant to acknowledge all the goodness. Like he would first want to figure out if there was a catch to it all (before admitting that Tesla did a better job than GM, or something in that direction).

My impression was that he was a bit overwhelmed by the newness, and hesitant to acknowledge all the goodness. Like he would first want to figure out if there was a catch to it all (before admitting that Tesla did a better job than GM, or something in that direction).

I agree, and I need to watch it again to get the exact quotes, but he said something along the lines of:

1. TM has solved the range issue with EV's
2. There goes an old or outdated Prius
3. It's a real car, in terms of performance, with no compromises

Not sure how he gets to Vegas to do his shows up there, but I'd guess he'll be trying to do it in a Model S at some point. Hope he has a good experience!

Leno did a burn out. Wouldn't that be hard to do in the Model S? I'd think you'd have to turn off the traction control. I haven't seen anyone else do one. He had Franz with him. Would Franz know how to completely disable the traction control? I'd say yes.

Leno did a burn out. Wouldn't that be hard to do in the Model S? I'd think you'd have to turn off the traction control. I haven't seen anyone else do one. He had Franz with him. Would Franz know how to completely disable the traction control? I'd say yes.
Had a similar thought. I think the pavement was a little wet and thought maybe that helped, but it's certainly possible that there is an Easter Egg to allow TC to be disabled.

You know there are Easter Eggs in this baby, there always are, just a matter of finding them. We discovered endless trick with the Gen II Prius over the first year or two.

It's one of the settings available to everyone. It does warn you that turning off traction control would be a bad idea though. I haven't tried it.

Just watching the video again, I noticed the TC button showing at 8m50s right next to suspension / regen / creep controls.

I've got to wait at least a year to get an MSP here in the UK :mad:

.. but who knows, maybe a 2 motor 4WD version based on the Model X skateboard will be in the works by then. Hmmm, even more performance, and maybe double regen :biggrin:

Had a similar thought. I think the pavement was a little wet and thought maybe that helped, but it's certainly possible that there is an Easter Egg to allow TC to be disabled.

Why an Easter Egg? Has someone indicated that turning off the readily available Traction Control setting in settings won't allow the car to do that amount of a burnout? I know that my car will allow a significant amount of tire slip with the traction control on, much more so than the Roadster allows. I have not yet had the inclination and appropriate location to test it with traction control off.

Why an Easter Egg? Has someone indicated that turning off the readily available Traction Control setting in settings won't allow the car to do that amount of a burnout? I know that my car will allow a significant amount of tire slip with the traction control on, much more so than the Roadster allows. I have not yet had the inclination and appropriate location to test it with traction control off.

No, someone before me implied that this was not a standard function, I assumed it was done via an Easter Egg...I've subsequently been corrected and made aware that it's an easily accessible feature.

I was in the service menu in a Beta car awhile back and there you could disable stability control. I believe disabling traction control will allow a certain amount of wheel slip, but if you really want to smoke your tires, I suspect you would need to disable stability control. That could be a very dangerous thing to do with the Model S given the prodigious amounts of torque it produces in an instant. Probably a good thing that Tesla keeps that option only in the service menu, rather than in the hands of the general public. :smile:

I did notice that this option was grayed-out in the demo car in San Diego. Possibly they make the option inaccessible for test drives just like they limit the top speed.

Well, it wasn't greyed out in Fremont. I asked about it and started to reach for it but the tech said ' we'd better leave it on for this drive' I think he was right. (maybe they added a speed limiter and greyed this out after me?:wink:) I probably would have drifted around all of the tight corners if it wasn't on (or just spun out and lost it!)