Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain, have 3 mth old model y performance. Above 60 mph car really shyddes and vibrates. Does it at 40 mph when lightly applying throttle. No vibration at any constant speed. Lowered car made little differece. Aligned on Hunter machine, wheels perfect balance. Have square all round so swapped them over, no change. Changed could over suspension settings from soft to rock hard, no change. Tried tire pressure 10 lbs range no change. Have ordered new half shafts and module to change torque vectoring as MYO does not have track mode. What a shame it's a great car. Sorry to borrow your thread. Anybody tried adding a weight to the shafts to change balance? Also read here about grease bulking in rubber boot, is that a thing?
I think the issue might be play in inner joints, perhaps rollers too small? I had 2 new axles and both have play on them.

I just picked my car up from service for the console and suspension creaking. I mentioned the half shaft vibrations and here's the invoice reply:

"Test drove vehicle to duplicate issue. Under all test conditions, some small amount of axle chatter was heard, though during testing and hard checks while in repair, no hardware failing was found. At this time, after having replaced the axles twice for this concern, no further replacement of axle half-shafts will be performed so long as the driving characteristics match what was found while in service. It can be expected that in certain conditions, in the chassis of the Plaid Model S with 1000+ HP can have some noise emanating from the axles without warranting continuous replacement."

Seems like a ridiculous response, since my 700 HP 2016 model S didn't have this vibration, but suddenly going to 1000 HP would add a new vibration under light load? But, whatever. I'll go back to lowering the car and move on.

• Informative
Reactions: Eclipso
Disgusting. This is their response to everything including tire wear. Yes it has 1000 hp, but the damn thing vibrates constantly like a theragun massager even when I'm not pressing the accelerator.

Do they think we would be complaining if it only vibrated a little when you are at a drag strip???

If it helps, changed both front half shafts on my model y performance today and vibration has completely gone. Also by greasing the splines with moly the noise I had on take-up is much quieter. Wear on the old shafts was very slight as to be expected at 5000 mls but was obviously enough. Hope this helps a bit, the shaking was very violent well beyond the mild wear, guess they are sensitive. Well it's an expensive Lego set that's the way I see it, ha

Reactions: n2mb_racing
If it helps, changed both front half shafts on my model y performance today and vibration has completely gone. Also by greasing the splines with moly the noise I had on take-up is much quieter. Wear on the old shafts was very slight as to be expected at 5000 mls but was obviously enough. Hope this helps a bit, the shaking was very violent well beyond the mild wear, guess they are sensitive. Well it's an expensive Lego set that's the way I see it, ha
Hopefully that solves it for you! I've had my half shafts replaced twice and the vibration comes back within a week.

violent shuddering is a different problem altogether.

Reactions: WilliamG
I just picked my car up from service for the console and suspension creaking. I mentioned the half shaft vibrations and here's the invoice reply:

"Test drove vehicle to duplicate issue. Under all test conditions, some small amount of axle chatter was heard, though during testing and hard checks while in repair, no hardware failing was found. At this time, after having replaced the axles twice for this concern, no further replacement of axle half-shafts will be performed so long as the driving characteristics match what was found while in service. It can be expected that in certain conditions, in the chassis of the Plaid Model S with 1000+ HP can have some noise emanating from the axles without warranting continuous replacement."

Seems like a ridiculous response, since my 700 HP 2016 model S didn't have this vibration, but suddenly going to 1000 HP would add a new vibration under light load? But, whatever. I'll go back to lowering the car and move on.
Typical BS response. “Normal”

2E9924F4-D27D-4AE5-89A5-17742CC03B98.jpeg

First, please refer to the thread below for detail information about this affliction, as that will not be discussed in this thread.

Second, I’m not recommending any action on your part or any products, nor am I making any pronouncements, representations or providing a definitive conclusion – Just sharing my experience; yours may be different (or it may not)…

tl;dr
- As you may recall, I recently installed new 19” Signature SV104’s wheels (all stock sizes and offsets), new “road force balanced” Pirelli PZero To Elect tires (stock), Titanium lugs, and N2itive RXS-2 Plaid adjustable lowering links and my vibrating Plaid is nearly vibration free, after three days of testing!!! 😍😆😯
Note: My Plaid is/was the poster child for vibration in the yoke, pedal, floor and console.

The Details

Prior to the first drive, using the adjustable lowering links (purchased for this experiment as a Tesla provided solution doesn’t appear on the horizon any time soon), I dropped the car a tad more than ½” all around and detailed it for good luck and karma….

After a day of driving, I noticed no vibration and decided to really look to replicate it, post mod. Ambient outdoor testing temperatures over the past three days of testing as ranged from 38 – 43 degrees, so my new summer tires were fairly “hard”.

Yesterday (Day 2), I drove it several times trying to get it to vibrate on the low setting (1/2” drop from stock low setting) and on a few occasions (only in the mid 40’s MPH range) I thought I heard/felt the slightest vibration – so I raised the suspension to medium (which results in a height slightly lower than stock low) and was able to feel it slightly more on occasions – but still way way less than prior to all of these changes.

I used to get the vibration at various speeds, including highway speeds. So far, not even a slight vibration at highway speeds. Note: Most of my testing was not on the highway, so more testing needed.

My current thinking (subject to change with more testing):

1. Some claim not to have the vibration and others do. I’m thinking those who may launched their cars numerous times on settings other than low, might have done more damage to the half shafts/CV joints than those that always launched on low and/or with Cheetah stance enabled. In Cheetah mode, the front really drops down, reducing half shaft-CV joint angles…

2. Something is not right/damaged on my car, so it might not be possible at this point to eliminate the slightest vibration 100%, 100% of the time.

A Mechanical Engineering Perspective (See my attached diagram/aid):

I think the following are facts:

1. Basic front DU placement/design is vintage ~2013 – a front DU was added to the Model S later, whereas in the subsequent models (3/Y) a front DU was “designed in” from the start…

2. Model S front half shafts are different lengths (Asymmetric design), due to DU not being “centered” and high

3. The shorter shaft (Left/Driver’s side, I think) angles are sharper than the right, resulting in more stress and binding at the CV joints and the other front shaft.

4. Lowering the car reduces these angles, and results in reduced CV joint and shaft stress.

What we don’t know is if lowing the car “X” amount will prevent or permanently eliminate this issue. Ideally, Tesla would redesign the front DU mount to it is lower, more like the rear DU placement, resulting in less binding and damage from hard acceleration.

So, what might Tesla do if this is real, save for not redesign the front chassis and DU placement?

1. Via firmware update, change the air suspension heights so the car is lower
2. Limit power, if suspension setting is anything other than Low
3. Limit dead stop launch power if not in Cheetah mode

This story is not finished, more to come!!!

Next Steps: I plan to drop the front of the car to .7” (Setting 5 on the links) and retest in the coming days. Will then return it to stock height upon conclusion of the experiement.

Your thoughts?

View attachment 772110

@WilliamG @EndlessPlaid @lbowroom @N2itive @SignatureSales @GroovaEV @uthatcher
One year ago; wow does time fly!

Yep, like my car was fine for the first 4k miles, this had nothing to do with 1000hp.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc