Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's based on math

Each 1 minute of video is 30 MB. 30 MB divided by 60 seconds is 0.5 MB/s, per camera. 3 cameras, so 1.5 MB/s.

When they add a 4th camera that'll go up to 2.0 MB/s
Well, I ran BlackMagic Disk Speed and it said 4MB/sec was insufficient for most of the video streams it listed. I also know that when a stick with greater speed (about 40MB/sec) was put into my car it didn't generate an error. My SSD (more like 400 MB/sec) has been flawless.

Well, I ran BlackMagic Disk Speed and it said 4MB/sec was insufficient for most of the video streams it listed.

I have no idea what you "listed" but as I mention most newer dashcams have MUCH higher write speeds than Teslas system, due to much higher resolution cameras.

Blackvue for example with 2 4k cameras in highest quality is recording at 4.375 MB/s

Almost 3 times the write speed the current Tesla system is using- and obviously in excess of the 4 MB/s you measured.

I also know that when a stick with greater speed (about 40MB/sec) was put into my car it didn't generate an error. My SSD (more like 400 MB/sec) has been flawless.

Which doesn't explain the folks who sometimes are using the same stick with some getting the "too slow" message and not others.

Nor those with known-fast sticks (and SSDs) having tons of issues as well.

Nor those who actually switched to older/slower sticks and saw the message go away.

But it being a software problem explains all of that.
Without information how the Tesla SW and the file system write the video stream data to the physical media, your math is pointless.

I can think of many ways they could design the system to handle writing at an even slower speed than the 0.5MB/s per camera I mention.

But not the other way around.

If you are aware of some way in which they could be writing faster than the maximum actual amount of time/data we know are going on the stick- I'd love to hear it. (so would lots of major storage companies I imagine!)

There can also be an exponential difference between writing a single 30MB file and three 30MB files simultaneously. That's why most drive tests include a speed for writing one big file and then another for writing a bunch of little files.

Sure. But those random small file writes are files that are like 4k. Not 30MB- a file roughly 7500 times larger and more accurately measured based on sequential write speeds of larger files, not random write speeds of tiny ones.

I have no idea what you "listed" but as I mention most newer dashcams have MUCH higher write speeds than Teslas system, due to much higher resolution cameras.

Blackvue for example with 2 4k cameras in highest quality is recording at 4.375 MB/s

Almost 3 times the write speed the current Tesla system is using- and obviously in excess of the 4 MB/s you measured.

Which doesn't explain the folks who sometimes are using the same stick with some getting the "too slow" message and not others.

Nor those with known-fast sticks (and SSDs) having tons of issues as well.

Nor those who actually switched to older/slower sticks and saw the message go away.

But it being a software problem explains all of that.

I can think of many ways they could design the system to handle writing at an even slower speed than the 0.5MB/s per camera I mention.

But not the other way around.

If you are aware of some way in which they could be writing faster than the maximum actual amount of time/data we know are going on the stick- I'd love to hear it. (so would lots of major storage companies I imagine!)

I don’t think you got my point.

You seem to assume a simple linear relationship between video stream rate and data rate into the storage media.

It’s not that simple unless the total system (the whole stack from user level app code all the way to the media controller driver, firmware and even HW) is optimized for the specific case.

Do you have info how the system handles multiple open files, memory block allocations, caches etc. etc. etc.? No? LOL.

Disclaimer: I used to write firmware for flash media controller chipsets a few years ago (not as a hobby but it was my full time job at a semiconductor company).

Sure. But those random small file writes are files that are like 4k. Not 30MB- a file roughly 7500 times larger and more accurately measured based on sequential write speeds of larger files, not random write speeds of tiny ones.

How does Tesla buffer files? If it's writing 3 streams then it either had to keep 3 files open and continually write to them or it has to keep writing little chunks, like HLS does.

I don't have the car yet so I haven't seen how it writes these files.

Don't be too quick to judge Jeda for this error. Tesla changed the qualifications for dash cam storage.
They don't want you to use USB thumb drives any more because it's not the right kind of memory for that.
See this discussion here: TeslaCam: DON’T USE USB FLASH DRIVE

Before switching to a SSD for my car, I was using a very high quality 64 GB thumb drive. After recent updates it would work some times, then other times I would get that error. Since changing memory type to something with better throughput, that issue has gone away.
It happened as soon as I installed the JEDA USB hub. No changes to firmware version. I mean it was literally the first time I tried to use the HUB and sentry mode picked something up. I have never seen the error before. I'll be testing it for a few more days until my 500gb SSD arrives.

This is the drive I have been using for the last 8 months or so when tesla released sentry mode:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013CCTJKE/ref=twister_B0148N153A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also, it barely fits in the hub, some of my other drives won't fit at all. Would it have killed them to make it about 5mm taller so a regular sata ssd would fit in there?

Also I just got a firmware update, so I'm now testing on 2019.32.1

Last edited:
Is it that tight of a fit?
I'm sure I can remove it with some effort but it's a pretty tight fit. I can get it partially undone but then it gets stuck.

One difference from before is that I had the drive dual partitions before 32 for dashcam, 32 for music. It's now just 64gb for dashcam. So maybe that has something to do with it. I'm using another decoy drive for music now. Also edited my last post before you responded (new car firmware now).

It is kind of a weird fit - once you get it in just the right place, it just smoothly slides in, and feels right, and will also slide out smoothly. But finding the just right spot is tricky - it doesn't feel like it's going to work until you actually find that spot. And you can't see what you're doing, so it's all by feel and guesswork.

I removed mine when I took it in to the SC recently, and almost immediately regretted it.

This is complete nonsense.

The manual still says you can use thumb drives- and tons of folks continue to do so.

I'll forgive your ignorance since you clearly do not know the difference between thumb drive memory and that of a video rated SD card or SSD. I don't really care if you think it's nonsense. I just don't want others who my benefit from actual usable advice to believe that know might know what you are talking about.

I'll forgive your ignorance since you clearly do not know the difference between thumb drive memory and that of a video rated SD card or SSD.

I'll forgive you clearly being clueless about what I "know"

I'll even forgive you for not having actually read the manual since it does not say anything at all like what you claim it does

I'll even forgive you for not being aware tons of people with "video rated SD cards" and SSDs also have the same problems and have repeatedly mentioned it in dozens of threads here.

I'm very forgiving :)

Because, again, it's a software problem not a hardware problem

Well, in my case, a USB stick with a higher write speed fixed the issue. It directly correlated to what BlackMagic said could and couldn’t be written. Where BlackMagic gets their data from I don’t know and I have zero inclination to dig it out. I just know it gives a long list of video streams and what the speed supports.

It is kind of a weird fit - once you get it in just the right place, it just smoothly slides in, and feels right, and will also slide out smoothly. But finding the just right spot is tricky - it doesn't feel like it's going to work until you actually find that spot. And you can't see what you're doing, so it's all by feel and guesswork.

I removed mine when I took it in to the SC recently, and almost immediately regretted it.
My music stick stopped working in the way home today, not sure if it's related. I now have a 500gb T5 ssd in there instead of the USB3 Samsung dive. (neat little dive!). Oh and the hub came right out the last time.

I don't like that I have to use a dongle for the decoy / music drive. I might just partition the ssd instead. It maybe i should buy a usbc flash drive too? Thoughts? is it worth having a decoy drive?

Here is s photo of the T5 next to regular sata ssd. The sata ssd would not fit or I would have used it with an adapter.
IMG_20190907_001951.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_002015.jpg
    IMG_20190907_002015.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20190907_001139.jpg
    IMG_20190907_001139.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
tons of people with "video rated SD cards" and SSDs also have the same problems and have repeatedly mentioned it in dozens of threads here.
I've read about "tons" of users having problems with flash drives, and maybe one or two having problems with SD cards, but haven't heard of any, and certainly not tons, of people having any kind of problems with ssd drives. Citations? I could have easily missed them - these kinds of things get repetitive after a while.