Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swung by Mona Vale early this morning. Total waste of time. It spent most of its time hovering around 16kW.

50 minutes = 16% to 44% = 17.9kWh provided = $4.34

The use case for a charger that has a 1 hour parking limit, but takes 3 hours to charge my car, is kinda tenuous at best. I’m thinking this exercise is more about streetside ads than useful charging.

So the chances one of these will be built at the end of some street I’m visiting, where I could comfortably leave the car there for a few hours, long enough for a 16-25kW charger to do its thing, is likely zero.

Hope you provide feedback to them direct as well. Agree 16kW is low.

From Plugshare looks like Tesla Tom only got 14kW, so hopefully a YT video soon.
Agree the 1hr limit is strange given the speed of the charger, but it's no different to the car spots behind.

Given they shouldn't have a lack of power I don't understand why the Sydney stations aren't higher rated.

But any new chargers are good and the Arena funding rounds will also give us lots of new 50kW units.

I swung by Mona Vale early this morning. Total waste of time. It spent most of its time hovering around 16kW.

50 minutes = 16% to 44% = 17.9kWh provided = $4.34

The use case for a charger that has a 1 hour parking limit, but takes 3 hours to charge my car, is kinda tenuous at best. I’m thinking this exercise is more about streetside ads than useful charging.

So the chances one of these will be built at the end of some street I’m visiting, where I could comfortably leave the car there for a few hours, long enough for a 16-25kW charger to do its thing, is likely zero.
I’m wondering if the target is more for grazing and turnover. Running around doing errands and plugging in as you go rather than seriously filling a battery. It is a very different style. Probably better suited to a fairly ubiquitous set of low power chargers rather than the more petrol pump model of the rapid chargers.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Hope you provide feedback to them direct as well. Agree 16kW is low.

From Plugshare looks like Tesla Tom only got 14kW, so hopefully a YT video soon.
Agree the 1hr limit is strange given the speed of the charger, but it's no different to the car spots behind.

Given they shouldn't have a lack of power I don't understand why the Sydney stations aren't higher rated.

But any new chargers are good and the Arena funding rounds will also give us lots of new 50kW units.

That’s about what you should expect. These units seem to be capable of outputting about 22 kW tops. Model 3s will heat their battery pack for DC fast charging, even if the station isn’t particularly fast. This pack heating consumes 3.5 to 7 kW (depending on the vehicle) for the first 20-30 minutes of charging, leaving you with ~16-19 kW going into the battery (the display shows what’s going into the battery, not what the charger is providing).

The amount of money being wasted on these slow charging billboards and fancy metal electrical box covers is astounding. For $100M, Tesla could build 250 or more 8-stall V3 Supercharger sites. For $100M, you could install tens of thousands of 11 kW or 22 kW AC stations on utility poles.

Last edited:
That’s about what you should expect.
Aha! Thanks for explaining that. I had the same issue and Jolt responded very quickly and asked if I had other data from the car. Your explanation seems "Spot on" because:

1. Jolt checked my session and kwhrs divided by duration gave 22.7kw average charge rate for the entire session.
2. After about 20mins, my charging rate jumped to an indicated 22kw.
3. They supplied me 8.67kwhrs and the car reported 7kwhrs. So, 1.7kwhrs went into battery heating.

I did not dream that the battery would be heated for such a low charge rate.

Cheers,
Dave

At the time I charged there, I had been driving for almost all of the previous 9 hours, aside from supercharging at Broadway about 5 hours prior. The battery pack should have already been at a tolerable operational temperature.

Though yes, it did rise to 19kW around the time I unplugged.

But as the council’s signage said 1 hour max, fine. I left after 50 minutes. Alas Evie Mosman was offline this morning and I wasn’t keen on dawn driving through wilderness to get to Macquarie. And Zetland was a long way away. And I avoid Broadway whenever Zetland’s car park is unlocked as, unlike the health hazard at Broadway opposite the ramp, Zetland has clean toilets. Ended up at a nearby council 3 phase charger, and had a much-needed two hour nap there, finishing off at 12kW. Not that much slower than Jolt was.

It’s disturbing to think that way, but it’s true. Sure, there are other cars that can make better use of 25kW and can’t exploit three phase. Alas not me.

At the time I charged there, I had been driving for almost all of the previous 9 hours, aside from supercharging at Broadway about 5 hours prior. The battery pack should have already been at a tolerable operational temperature.

Though yes, it did rise to 19kW around the time I unplugged.

But as the council’s signage said 1 hour max, fine. I left after 50 minutes. Alas Evie Mosman was offline this morning and I wasn’t keen on dawn driving through wilderness to get to Macquarie. And Zetland was a long way away. And I avoid Broadway whenever Zetland’s car park is unlocked as, unlike the health hazard at Broadway opposite the ramp, Zetland has clean toilets. Ended up at a nearby council 3 phase charger, and had a much-needed two hour nap there, finishing off at 12kW. Not that much slower than Jolt was.

It’s disturbing to think that way, but it’s true. Sure, there are other cars that can make better use of 25kW and can’t exploit three phase. Alas not me.
I figure you are on one end of the curve in your needs, and that these are aimed at apartment dwellers without their own chargers, who can top up while doing a bit of shopping or having lunch. Sydney clearly wants to make lower cost charging ubiquitous, so people can top up as they go about their lives.

I figure you are on one end of the curve in your needs, and that these are aimed at apartment dwellers without their own chargers, who can top up while doing a bit of shopping or having lunch. Sydney clearly wants to make lower cost charging ubiquitous, so people can top up as they go about their lives.
While that’s kinda a given, I still don’t see a use case here.

If someone is parked here half an hour, at 15-16kW, that’s about 15% of an SR+. Enough for an hour of suburban driving. Not very much.

A bit of shopping or lunch is either too short to deliver any useful charge or too long to fit within the council’s 1hr limit. Somewhere in the middle of those two might lie a use case. But seriously? It’s the eye of a needle.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Northern Beaches Council went out with an extensive survey process as part of developing their EV strategy. Their aim was to provide "top up" charging at a variety of dispersed locations in the area. There is no stated intention to provide bulk charging for long distance travel. I would hope that one day Jolt might increase them to 50kw which would (in theory) allow twice as many vehicles to get a quick charge.

It is a bit of a pain that Teslas heat the battery even for this very low charge rate, thereby reducing the charge gained in 15 to 20mins. I do not think other cars will have this issue.

My other EV is a Zoe. No DC charging but AC charging up to 22kw. I am hoping that one day, Jolt sees the light and adds an AC cable on these facilities. However, this might be an issue if people with slow AC cars (eg 7kw) clog up the spaces. There are a couple of DCs in our LGA but that's not very convenient unless you have business where they are located.

Incidentally, Jolt and the Council have got together and they are going to paint this spot green to further alert ICEs not to park there.

Second active Jolt charger showing up in Homebush West if that's within anyone's travel area.

Kona driver got first usage (already ICEd with signage yet to be installed)
Screenshot_20210927-125936.png

Last edited:
Hornsby looks like approved in April
DA/14/2021

I'm sure BMW will be thrilled to have a bunch of EVs charging just outside their main entrance.

The diagrams seem to show an identical unit to the first two, which is strange given the footpath in between the green box and road.

Just a vague reference to split system charger cable holder.

Will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Yep. Was assuming something and being sarcastic. Just surprised that the DA didn't make it clear given all the diagrams and information included.

They could equally have use one of their SA units that also has advertising on the charge unit.