Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have written to both many local councils, and state and federal members of parliament regarding the huge gap in chargers within many local councils in the west of Victoria and today I received this attached to a letter I have received from one Federal MP (it doesnt state who owns the charger)

PlugShare shows both AC and DC chargers as belonging to the ChargeFox network.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Jolt has seemingly opened its first charger in Qld a week ago.

Per Plugshare Marketplace East, Camp Hill.
Same pricing as the other AU sites, but seemingly no advertising.

Screenshot_20230721-233259.png

Also recent opening of a Hornsby Council charger making for another Sydney cluster.

And as I posted in the ACT thread, looks like Jolt is no longer involved in the ACT Govt rollout.

Today's app update brings membership tiers as part of 'JOLT PLUS'

JOLT PLUS is JOLT’s series of flagship memberships that provides Australian customers with savings across electric vehicle charging. On our two new memberships, you get more energy allowance each session for a fixed monthly fee.

There are three memberships on offer
  1. Free - users get 7kWh free energy daily
  2. Flex - for $9.99 per month users get 10kWh free energy daily
  3. Ultimate - for $69.99 per month users get unlimited energy.

Today's app update brings membership tiers as part of 'JOLT PLUS'
  • Ultimate - for $69.99 per month users get unlimited energy.

With 25 kW DC charging, to get the average price of your electricity below, say, 30c/kWh, you‘d need to use Jolt for about 10 hours every single month. Don’t most Jolt sites have a 2 hour parking limit?

Why on earth would using your car for a rideshare service be considered unreasonable?
I'm sure the T&Cs for Tesla Supercharger membership are written as such to 'discourage' charging for rideshare usage.
A separate membership is needed for each Tesla Account, and each membership is limited to a maximum of five Supercharger charge sessions per day. Terms | Tesla Australia
Perhaps another option would be for JOLT to have another tier that has a capped number of sessions - like Tesla offers - rather than 'banning' rideshare outright?

Why on earth would using your car for a rideshare service be considered unreasonable?

Because the usage profile of such users would be very very different to someone who is not providing a rideshare service. The economics of their plans would be based on a statistical model of expected usage, so that they actually make money on each plan rather than risk going out of business.

Same as insurance companies who ask whether your car is private use only or used for business. You might think “none of your business“ or “who cares” but it makes a difference because it changes the risk profile for the insurer, hence both the likelihood of a claim being made and the average size of claim.

They probably shouldn't be eligible to receive taxpayers money then.

In NSW at least, public monies are only ever used to subsidise the capital cost of establishing the station. Operational costs are entirely the responsibility of the network operator.

Reactions: RichardV and B3AU
I can see why they don't want to support commercial operation with the subscription service - effectively you're reselling the power which they consider unreasonable.

Pay-per-use, however, should be fine for commercial use as far as I can see. This might have just been overlooked when they were writing the T&C.

They might also want to consider introducing a separate tier of subscription service for rideshare operators. Presumably there's a point at which they can make money there too, it'll just be a higher monthly charge.