Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that 25KW as well or bigger? Its a rather large cabinet...
25kW so I get the usual 22-23 into the battery. The green substation that it is “wrapping” was a larger one, accounting for the larger box size. Has advertising LCD panels both ends but I don’t think that accounts for much of the size.

IMG_2161.jpeg

Here’s a photo from the other side of it. Will work out well for me because as often as not I get a morning coffee from Pronto which is about 100m away so I may as well give the car a top up at the same time as I have mine :)

Reactions: B3AU and dronus
25kW so I get the usual 22-23 into the battery. The green substation that it is “wrapping” was a larger one, accounting for the larger box size. Has advertising LCD panels both ends but I don’t think that accounts for much of the size.

View attachment 1023307
Here’s a photo from the other side of it. Will work out well for me because as often as not I get a morning coffee from Pronto which is about 100m away so I may as well give the car a top up at the same time as I have mine :)
Absolutely.

Im hoping JOLT expand in Adelaide, there are some pretty big holes that can be filled in high traffic areas which have adequate power supply.
Councils ignorance and short shortsightedness are the limiting factor though.

My experience this week has been really good, even though the charger is over the other side of the main road ive been diverting. I think while shopping and getting a coffee i would also be using JOLT to charge up. The rates above the free 7kw are reasonable too.

PS those wheels look dope on your car!

I think while shopping and getting a coffee i would also be using JOLT to charge up. The rates above the free 7kw are reasonable too.
That’s my most common use for the Jolt chargers - if I am buying groceries and/or coffee in Mona Vale (where there are two of them) or now by preference in Palm Beach near where I have coffee most days anyway, a 25-30 minute stop at a charger, even (or especially) a slow-ish one suits me ideally.

BTW I just added that new charger and those two photos to both OpenChargeMap and PlugShare. ABRP picks up their charging data from OpenChargeMap (among other sources). I don’t know where Tesla gets the chargers for its nav system from - either as dumb POIs or as actual chargers - but it should be one or other of those. Anyway it selfishly suits me if nobody else knows the charger is there ;)

Absolutely.

Im hoping JOLT expand in Adelaide, there are some pretty big holes that can be filled in high traffic areas which have adequate power supply.
Councils ignorance and short shortsightedness are the limiting factor though.

My experience this week has been really good, even though the charger is over the other side of the main road ive been diverting. I think while shopping and getting a coffee i would also be using JOLT to charge up. The rates above the free 7kw are reasonable too.

PS those wheels look dope on your car!
I havnt checked the map, but so far I’ve noticed one in a back street behind henley square and next to a pub on magil road norwood

Possibility on a box that large is a shame they didn't install charging plugs at both ends.
There would have to be enough space within the box for another charger at the other end if demand ever required it. I don't think I have a "before" photo of the green transformer that the Jolt charger wraps around but it wasn't _that_ long.

BTW the original plan submitted to council was for the charging bay to be on the road shoulder (rather than in the carpark), ie on the other side of the big box and parallel park alongside it. Council decided that the charger and a charging car in that configuration would block the footpath or something (not sure quite how - they have a small "remote" charging stand at one of the Narrabeen kerbside chargers and the "satellite" one at Rouse Hill is like this too), but anyway this is what we have ended up with now. Much better than nothing and the only DC charging on the Northern Beaches north of Mona Vale (which are also two Jolt chargers).

One warning note for anyone using that charger is that the visibility when pulling out of that carpark back onto Barrenjoey Rd (especially if turning right - ie towards Avalon/city) is pretty bad and you have to stick your nose out quite a long way to see past the inevitable row of parked cars on the road to check if it is clear. It is *supposed* to be only 40km/h but that is unfortunately rarely enforced (or obeyed).

Got a notification from PlugShare this morning - two new Jolt chargers at Crossroads Hotel, Casula.

Perfect placement - it's the intersection of Camden Valley Way and Campbelltown Road, two busy roads, people dwelling at the traffic lights - ideal for Jolt's business model!

Only complaint would be the Campbelltown Road station is installed between two parking spaces (one of which has the Jolt charging space painted on it), so not ideal for Tesla, Polestar, Volvo etc EVs with the charging port on the left. It would've been 'better' if it was installed in the centre of the parking space.

(also, they're marked LIV003 and LIV004 - I wonder where LIV001 and LIV002 are going to be....)

In other news, two more Jolt + TfNSW sites look to be live? EV Charging Program | Transport for NSW

Berowra - Berowra Station Parking (Coming Soon) | Berowra, NSW | EV Station
Roseville - Roseville Station Parking (Coming Soon) | Roseville, NSW | EV Station

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Only complaint would be the Campbelltown Road station is installed between two parking spaces (one of which has the Jolt charging space painted on it), so not ideal for Tesla, Polestar, Volvo etc EVs with the charging port on the left. It would've been 'better' if it was installed in the centre of the parking space.
The Palm Beach one is like that too; the allocated EV parking space does not line up well with the charge cables, especially for cars with the charging port on the left.

In this photo below - which I meant to post earlier to show the (installed yesterday) parking signs, but I forgot - my car is parked correctly in the (only) EV charging space and you can see how much across the cable has had to go to reach the port.

IMG_2169.jpeg

Reactions: dronus and B3AU
Roseville Station Carpark also opened..
A very awkward layout for cars with charge port at the rear like Tesla's requiring an awkward multi-point turn near the carpark exit.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
The second Jolt at Oaklands park is a bit like that also. As it is a one way circuit you have to go past it into the little turning bay, then reverse back.
Not a big deal, even without stalks, but it caught me out the first time

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 15.16.46.png

I went past it today. Its a difficult spot.
They could not convert the kerbside of Hill St into a charging spot as there is pedestrian walkway between Hill st and the train parking section, and its no parking there.

They could have put the Jolt between the last 2 spots before exit - between the tesla and the black car in the plugshare picture but that would have pushed the last parking spot closer to the exit with potential issues re car park cars merging with the Hill St traffic- not significant in my view but I can appreciate the issue. Removing a parking bay is out of the question as there is very little parking at Roseville station.

It will be ICED as it appears to a shared parking bay. There are no EV charging only signs

If an EV parked on Hill street to charge, the cable likely wont reach but is moot because the EV will be parking in a no parking area.. Google street view. The Tesla in the plugshare is in the same bay as the white Suzuki.
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 3.46.04 pm.png

Reactions: moa999
I wonder if Pittwater Council would consider the adjacent bay to the right of the Red Tesla could be assigned a "1P Ev charging" in addition to paid parking: so that it could be a shared spot - can be used for EV charging and also paid general parking.
I think if you have a parking sticker or have otherwise paid for parking just take that spot to the left/north of the “official” one anyway if it is available.

What I might do tomorrow (assuming I surf then buy coffee afterwards - both fairly reasonable probabilities) is try using the official spot again _but_ I will nose in and run the cable to the back of the car along the side. If it makes it and doesn’t bang/scrape on the side of the car that might be better, dunno. For cars where the port is further up the left hand side than a Tesla I would say nosing-in and hoping the car in the next bay isn’t too close to bang the cable may be the thing to do.

It’s good to have the charger anyway. The location is a good one for Jolt probably - from the advertising-sign perspective - so as long as the charger gets a bit of use (not too much - *i* want to soak up those free 7kWh whenever I am getting my morning coffee) it’ll be seen as another win by both Jolt and Council and hopefully energise them to get more rolled out.

Reactions: B3AU
I will nose in and run the cable to the back of the car along the side
I suspect not long enough but worth trying and reporting back👍

i* want to soak up those free 7kWh
I think for those who are there for the 20 min and stay with the car, the Pittwater rangers won't care too much, especially if the car park is not full and the EV is parked adjacent to the 1P Ev charging bay. It is important though (in the bigger picture) to play by the rules to foster a good image of EV drivers.